Favorite quarry?

wildfowler.250

my favourite has to be teal, we get quite a few here in shetland. i love them springing out of a ditch or burn on a cold frosty day. geese is nearly loosing its appeal as there are so many here all the time, it used to be when i started shooting that to get in the teens per season was good but now you could shoot in the teens in a morning. there is still something very special about goose talk at dawn though.

It'll be mostly greys up there with you aister is it? or do some pinks gather there when there here?

Are the shovelers that bad? Maybe launch it into a curry so you can't taste anything :lol: do you get much pintail down your way? Out of interest, what makes you think they are so hard to shoot? I've always thought real were bad but that's usually because you can't see them coming!

Hopefully get a few yearling pinks this year :drool:

Teal*

Yeah, when we split the bag the blighters get pushed around a bit- i realy wont shoot them but they often come in with widgeon and if you dont see the Bill outline in the dark.......... Yes Pintail exist on Morcambe bay and the Dee marshes, limit bags of ten get taken when the tide is right on the Dee

It'll be mostly greys up there with you aister is it? or do some pinks gather there when there here?

yes its mostly greylags. depends on the weather when the pinks pass through, if its a good southerlywind there might be a few hundred that will stick around for a few days but if its calm or they get a tail wind they just pass over. we sometimes get a bunch that mix in with the greylags or sometimes they mix in with barnacle geese and stay throughout the season.

How do you find the layout blind? Is it easy to shoot from? I've toyed with getting one but always thought it would be easier to shoot from a hide with netting.

Not easy at all to shoot from, you need to be able to sit up and swing the gun in the same direction as the birds come in and as we all know that isn`t the easiest thing to get birds to do. Decoy layout and a good wind is the main criteria in where to set your blind.

I don`t usually use "normal" hides for geese as they get hammered by the less scrupulous "guides" and some estates and they get nervous of big lumps of netting in hedges etc. so I prefer to use natural "hides", such as ditches and hedges as below. That is a small burn where myself and Nickbeardo hid successfully.

Will post some layout blind stuff later when I get my HDD sorted as it has the photos.

post-1301-0-68394700-1346419529_thumb.jpg

Edited by henry d

That field is deceptive, its about 180-200yds from burn to hedge and the one that the picture is taken from is 250ish and rises up quite sharply. I think I had about 30 there.

As we have quite a few pinks early in the season and later it tends to be greys (usually on grass) I use as many as possible for pinks @ 50 iirc and around 30 for greys. Mainly shells with some sillosocks.

Thanks Henry! Really appreciate it :good: I did think the whole 'sit up, swing and shoot' in one motion would be tricky! I tend to try and set up against a hedge or in rushes as well.

Thanks again for the good reply!

Will post in shooting pictures.... that way the thread isn`t de-railed.

That field is deceptive, its about 180-200yds from burn to hedge and the one that the picture is taken from is 250ish and rises up quite sharply. I think I had about 30 there.

As we have quite a few pinks early in the season and later it tends to be greys (usually on grass) I use as many as possible for pinks @ 50 iirc and around 30 for greys. Mainly shells with some sillosocks.

Thanks Henry.