re midland game fair

dessyb

that is the trouble with all shows now days - or am I getting old? ???

No! Your spot on :yes:

A lot of the problem with price increase is sheer greed. Eventually the prices will become so extortionate that they will simply not get people booking the stalls.

I have noticed bootsale prices have rocketed. I asked why and was met with a strange look and the excuse that FUEL prices have risen etc. I pointed out that they don't supply us with fuel and as we transport our own goods to the site His argument was flawed.

I think we need a huge market crash and start from scratch all over again.

I have watched everything go up in price over the past 15 years to stupid levels.

Corned beef from 39p to over £2

Petrol from around 27p per litre to £1.39

They stick 20p on a tin of beans and blame the rise in fuel. Work out how many tins are delivered and you see it's NOT gone up enough to warrant 20p but perhaps 2p per tin. Greed makes up the rest.

I went from a good disposable income of around 200 per month and now if I am lucky I can afford a new pair of shoes :no:

Cost of living went up by around £170 per month and I got a £32 payrise per month.

It will end bad for a lot of families. I am already close to the bread line and if costs keep escalating then I will have to forget shooting and possibly even sell the car and buy a pushbike.

Lord Geordie, your post sounds all doom and gloom but actually it is fact.

Many many people are now actually claiming free school meals for their children and shopping in charity shops, pawning wedding rings etc just to pay off pressing debts, and still the bankers and stockbrokers cruise through a lavish lifestyle, make no mistake, the recession is far from over and unless the government and banks find a way of releasing more money into the economy it will come close to a civil uprising. The building trade is on it's backside, we are manufacturing very little, exporting very little and importing a lot, we have milk which the processors won't pay for but then charge the earth for, we have fruit left to rot because of cheap European imports, this country is going to the dogs. We seem to have an obsession with helping and protecting illegal immigrants at the expense of our own British born and bred.

We are back to the sixties where we had a Government which included Dr. Beeching who gave me an apprenticeship with British Rail then threw me on the scrap heap and scrapped Rail, have a look around Crewe , Derby , Doncaster, Swindon at the dereliction that still exists to this day.

We need to get back manufacturing and make Britain Great once more, and commodity brokers and bankers are not going to do it.

Edited by Salopian

In terms of pricing of food just look at raw material pricing (wheat or composite feed cost - latter is on Defra) and it's obvious why costs on the shelf are up.

Why are they up? Huge increase in world population and increase in Chinese GDP allowing them to compete with uk buyers on things like meat purchases.

Sorry I got a bit carried away earlier after Geordie's rant.

Looking forward to Weston Park, but Ian Harford could do with having a rethink on costings, he's driving the exhibitors away with high costs for stands and driving the punters away with high gate prices. We also don't actually want a car boot element which he seems to have introduced down by angler's world.

Just to add to my earlier post the organisers of the fairs do need to consider their pricing as with the internet people can compare while they are on the ground ,use this to try and get the best price and if not theve seen what they want handled it ,tried it on come away and ordered from the internet cheaper and delivered to your door ,failing that buy some of the 2nd hand impulse buys a week or two later all said and done i,ll be going round looking for a new deerhunter montana jacket Humbug

Hear hear Lord geordie and Salopian. My missus runs a market stall undies, nightwear etc. She had a customer today one of the known work shy in our area asking if she bought two nighties could she have discount because she was strapped at present and needed them to go on holiday. It seems to me that the people who make an effort to support themselves are punished and the like of our dear customer today who can't be bothered get it gifted.

My heart sank when I read OP. Feeling a bit better now though as that is our annual holiday !