The Wildfowling season 2012 - 2013

Wildfowler

went for a night flight tonight to a piece of flood water at the back of a beach, a lot of ducks got up when i arrived, mallard, wigeon and teal which was good to see as i havnt hardly seen a duck these last few days. there was quite a few that came back but very few came over me and after a few scrappy shots i bagged a couple of mallard and a wigeon, the first duck of the season :good:. there was a small flock of geese that came over me tail to wind going like the clappers which i missed well behind :hmmm: . 3 teal came in that were up and down and all over the place, i got the gun on them about 30 yards out and the next i knew they had landed in behind me without a shot being fired :oops:.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out to the river bank this morning. I didn't bother taking any gear other than the gun and cartridges, and of course the dog! I manged a big drake mallard and a hen gadwall too :good: I actually shot them both early on, so packed the gun away and just watched for an hour before heading home! I was up at 4:15, home for 7 and in work for 8 :lol:

4F74AC5B-CF4A-4076-ADCF-724CA05756AB-4238-000002A5E812D417.jpg

5792FAFC-F7B3-4F3A-AA8E-91931CD04766-4238-000002A5960F9E20.jpg

How do you upload pics?

I do it through Photobucket mate. If you're on a smartphone, download the Photobucket app for free, then upload pics to the app.

Once uploaded to the app, click on the picture and copy the IMG code, then past it as text and it will display the picture :good:

Edited by Wildfowler12

tried a bang this morning but it dint go as planed. 4 geese came sailing in to the decoys perfect first thing and i only had time for one shot but i made it count and dropped the one goose that we got. hardly any birds came in and what did come in all landed well out of range. we were on different territory today, only shot here once before, heres a couple of pics of the view. its looking across the sound to the isle of mousa which has the tallest and best preserved broch in the world on it.

post-29954-0-68588600-1347098188_thumb.jpg

post-29954-0-86340400-1347098221_thumb.jpg

post-29954-0-35125900-1347098239_thumb.jpg

Edited by aister

This picture is from my first chance at geese with the Browning 10 i bought a few months back.

This morning dawned a bit misty, but i didn't have to wait too long for a shot.The drake mallard made the mistake of flying over, dropping after i sent 1 1/2 of 2 shot (homeload) his way.I also used my own homeloads of 1 1/2 oz BB and T shot steel on the greys.The first bunch passed wide, but i took birds from the next couple of groups to pass through. This was inland over a friend's freshly cut wheat stubble - just flighting. Not as satisfying as shooting geese on the marsh, but i enjoyed it all the same.

I should be back there tomorrow for some pigeon shooting.

post-2090-0-48440400-1347122419_thumb.jpg

This picture is from my first chance at geese with the Browning 10 i bought a few months back.

This morning dawned a bit misty, but i didn't have to wait too long for a shot.The drake mallard made the mistake of flying over, dropping after i sent 1 1/2 of 2 shot (homeload) his way.I also used my own homeloads of 1 1/2 oz BB and T shot steel on the greys.The first bunch passed wide, but i took birds from the next couple of groups to pass through. This was inland over a friend's freshly cut wheat stubble - just flighting. Not as satisfying as shooting geese on the marsh, but i enjoyed it all the same.

I should be back there tomorrow for some pigeon shooting.

Great job! I half fancied the semi-auto 10 but I was worried about home loads not cycling and also loosing the cases after a shot. Take it you're pleased?

We got a greylag and a teal each. We had more oportunities at the greys but were waist deep in a flooded creek at the time whilst moving position.... Always the way! I'm the Short one on the right, with my mat and my eldest Lab, Pipit.

The biggest problem with shooting geese is the plucking them afterwards. As it was a nice day we decided to set up in the garden and review the mornings activities!

Great job! I half fancied the semi-auto 10 but I was worried about home loads not cycling and also loosing the cases after a shot. Take it you're pleased?

Really pleased with the Browning. It cost £350 and has worked a treat with any shell through it so far. I have lost a few cases, though, and that is slightly annoying.

Wildfowler, I see from your photo above your wader straps slip down your shoulders which is very annoying,this always happened to me aswell until one day out fishing with a pal who used to be on trawlers,he got me to cross the straps on the back only, then stick them as normal on the front,this cured it no more shoulder shuffling :good:

Bumper flight today as you can see :rolleyes:

sorry the pic looks mince, I had to reduce the size several times before it would upload.

Ha ha, i had the same frustration the other day, got myslef set up under a flight line the geese had been using for 3 days to a stubble field, and they all decided to fly in a completely different direction. All loaded up with 42g bb for the geese and a big old carrion crow comes over at about 20 yards, didn't leave much for the dog to retrieve!

Bumper flight today as you can see :rolleyes:

sorry the pic looks mince, I had to reduce the size several times before it would upload.

Try downloading a program called paint.net it allows you to reduce the quality of the images by whatever percentage but tells you what size the image will be once saved, (just make sure it is below the 300kb which is the PW restriction), but keeps the image good enough to view on a screen.

Wildfowler, I see from your photo above your wader straps slip down your shoulders which is very annoying,this always happened to me aswell until one day out fishing with a pal who used to be on trawlers,he got me to cross the straps on the back only, then stick them as normal on the front,this cured it no more shoulder shuffling :good:

My old waders had a strap to join the back straps together to stop that happening, but they were snowbee and these are Daiwa, the difference in quality is huge! These have split in various places now, i certainly won't be buying any more of them!!!

Anyway, thanks for the tip, i shall do so on my next trip!