The Wildfowling season 2012 - 2013

Wildfowler

after our success on the first we ended up blanking this morning. we had a good set up and we had seen quite a few geese on the park yesterday but this morning nothing even came for a look, guess they found a better place to feed. did a bit of reconnaissance after we packed up and thing are looking better for tomorrow. heres a pic of our blinds and decoys this morning.

post-29954-0-83485100-1346668823_thumb.jpg

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent start to the new season with 2 widgeon and a mallard on the morning of the 1st...suprised how many widgeon and pintail about.

This morning was suprised by a skein of Canadas which flew past without a sound.By the time I lifted the gun it was one of them shall i shant i moments,Quickly decided probably worth a shot and to my delight tail bird collapsed stone dead.

Only saw 4 duck all fligt,but just before packing up spotted a pair of canadas coming straight at me really low,needless to say 3 shots and didnt touch them lol thats shooting i guess!back tonight as the goose fever set in .

after finding a few geese on a park yesterday we headed there this morning hoping they would return this morning but on the night the wind had picked up and it was blowing 50mph and gusting 65mph. as we were fairly high up on the side of a hill most of the birds came along the side of the hill and landed well in below us. we did have a few come in to the decoys and out of it we managed 9. so we were quite happy with that as yesterday we were out both morning and night and never fired a shot.

post-29954-0-54868100-1346750563_thumb.jpg

as you can see from the sea in this pic there is a fair bit of wind beside us today and its still getting stronger, should be good for a night flight tonight.

post-29954-0-51434400-1346750642_thumb.jpg

max keeping an eye on proceedings

post-29954-0-12660300-1346750821_thumb.jpg

Edited by aister

we as a family eat a lot of goose throughout the year and we have a lot of friends and neighbours that are always delighted to get goose from me. my kids love the Polish goose that my wife makes which is great.

Trying your recipe tomorrow aister I might make one small variation though & that is flatten out the breast with a steak hammer until flat & about twice the size & then marinade in worctershire sauce over night or I might try a different marinade ,, bashing the hell out of em like that dose make a difference I find .

ATB Pole Star

Trying your recipe tomorrow aister I might make one small variation though & that is flatten out the breast with a steak hammer until flat & about twice the size & then marinade in worctershire sauce over night or I might try a different marinade ,, bashing the hell out of em like that dose make a difference I find .

ATB Pole Star

try it without first, if you get it right the meat falls apart like braised steak, you can cut it with the side of your fork. the only thing that can go wrong is if you end up with a young bird and an old bird in the same pot, by the time the old one is falling appart the young one is over done.

just keep an eye on it, if it starts to dry up just add a bit of water. let me know how it goes :good:

AISTERS GOOSE RECIPE.

INGREDIENTS:

2-3 goose breasts,

2 large red onions,

1lb of mushrooms,

300ml of single cream (or small tub)

2 cubes of beef bovril,

butter as needed,

flour.

DIRECTIONS:

1. cut goose breast in to 3 chunks, coat in flour and sear on both sides in very hot butter. adding butter as required. remove meat to large casserole dish.

2. dice onion and fry in butter till starting to brown and add too goose.

3. half mushrooms and fry in butter and add too goose and onions.

4. pour the cream in among the goose, onions and mushrooms, add water till it is all just covered then add the bovrill.

5. cover and bake in the oven at 165 deg C for three hours.

try it without first, if you get it right the meat falls apart like braised steak, you can cut it with the side of your fork. the only thing that can go wrong is if you end up with a young bird and an old bird in the same pot, by the time the old one is falling appart the young one is over done.

just keep an eye on it, if it starts to dry up just add a bit of water. let me know how it goes :good:

Will do mate & I have 2 young en's ! so should be good . :good:

AISTERS GOOSE RECIPE.

INGREDIENTS:

2-3 goose breasts,

2 large red onions,

1lb of mushrooms,

300ml of single cream (or small tub)

2 cubes of beef bovril,

butter as needed,

flour.

DIRECTIONS:

1. cut goose breast in to 3 chunks, coat in flour and sear on both sides in very hot butter. adding butter as required. remove meat to large casserole dish.

2. dice onion and fry in butter till starting to brown and add too goose.

3. half mushrooms and fry in butter and add too goose and onions.

4. pour the cream in among the goose, onions and mushrooms, add water till it is all just covered then add the bovrill.

5. cover and bake in the oven at 165 deg C for three hours.

Just wrote this down.........sounds delicious.....thanks

Sunday morning:

IMGP3030.jpg

The tide wasnt fully in at that point, all of that was water when we walked off the bank.

Sunday evening:

IMGP3036.jpg

Now thats one chilled out gundog Matt!!!! :lol:

Now thats one chilled out gundog Matt!!!! :lol:

She was knackered, about 5 minutes after the pic was taken she was laid beside my head snoring :lol:

The camera had run out of battery before i could get a picture of her and ayano3's lab asleep beside my head, they both looked like they'd had a long weekend :lol:

Just tried a variation for my tea of that recipe to cook a young duck in breast in aister & it was very good & the sauces was delicious ! . Cant wait to try the goose tomorrow .

ps any one who is trying to serve an EVICTION ORDER on the BELLY ! be warned the sauce is creamy scrumptious ! & very moreish & of lord knows how many calories ! :hmm: but what the hell ! :good: .

Edited by Pole Star