Homemade Beef Jerky

Marc Z

Hi guys,

Had a bash at making some over a few days, thought I'd share my efforts with you.

Been looking at lots of jerky making recipes lately so decided to get myself a food dehydrator. Jerky/Biltong can be dried in a low oven or strung up in front of the Aga, but with a dehydrator the process is really controllable, doesn't take up the oven space for a whole day and there's tons of other things I can dry out with it. Bought it from Amazon for about £40.

For the recipe...

Per 1 pound of lean beef (makes about 230g jerky, a large jar full)

I got a reduced 500g topside roasting joint, for £3.12

Pop it in the freezer for an hour, then you can easily cut it into quarter inch thick slices without it flopping around.

4-6 inch by 1 inch cuts are a good size to aim for.

post-59473-0-80141800-1346706475_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marc Z

3 oz dark soy sauce

1 teaspoon of season-all (mainly pepper, onion powder, garlic powder mix)

1 teaspoon of lea and perrins

1 teaspoon of liquid smoke or 4 teaspoons of smoky bbq marinade

a few good twists of salt and pepper

Put the meat into a large zip-lock freezer bag. Make sure its a good one which holds air/liquids well.

Then chuck all the ingredients in, zip up the bag and mix up good and proper!

Open the bag, lay flat on the counter and squeeze as much air out as possible before zipping the bag back up. It almost vacuum packs it.

Pop it in the fridge and forget about it for at least 24 hours. 36-48 is better! (I managed 36 before getting too excited to wait)

It should darken nicely in your marinade, and look like this...

post-59473-0-56002400-1346706831_thumb.jpg

Now all you need to do is spread the meat strips out on the dehydrator trays, leaving plenty of air circulation around them

post-59473-0-91566300-1346706878_thumb.jpg

Turn it on, if variable temperature I had it at around 50-60 degrees centigrade, for 8 hours. Turn it over after 4-5 hours. Check it after 7 and you should know if it needs another 1 or 2 hours. It should be firm and dry to touch, any thicker bits shouldn't 'bounce' back after you squeeze it.

Edited by Marc Z

looks like you been having fun mate,

i have been getting into dry curing and making some more rare things at work my latest project has been biltong i have made it with beef,venison,turkey and rabbit,

the venison is lovely shall be making jerky in a week or two as i have a batch of chorizo on the go at the moment

colin

I have tried making venison jerky,pemmican and biltong several times with varying degress of success. Ranging from complete disaster to reasonably edibile.

The best results achieve were in the bottom oven of the Aga. The air dried/ smoked attempts where complete losses..

• 6 months later...

i have done any for a wee while but bought a cheats jerky gun and just mixed the mice with packs od cure bought of evil auction site in various flavours .....squirt out onto cake racks and do in the oven and good results with venison , pigeon , beef,& mutton mince

here

P6250016.jpg

P6250017.jpg

easy to do

i now also got hol dof a home made biltong box which has a 60w bulb & a pc fan in it and followed instructions of a guy i know from zimbabwe and used red deer haunch in strips....soaked in malt vinegar then rolled in safari biltong spice mix and done for 3 days in biltong box...was amazing...still slightly moist in middle instead of thru n thru chewy..will definately be doing that again ...seeing as the spice i bought the amount gonna last a loooong time :-)

paul