Sorry but another first gun question

Powerkiter

I finally received my gun license at the weekend, so I am after my first gun. I have had a number of lessons over the last two/ three years and have used both Beretta Silver Pigeons and Browning 525. The gun will be mostly used for clay shooting. I generally prefer the Berreta Silver Pigeons but have been told that as I am quite tall, long arms and a long neck that the Browning would suit me better ? I just wondered if there are any models in the Beretta range that would have a simlar fitting to a Browning 525. Are there any other brands of gun that would have a similar fitting to the Browning 525.

I guess what I am really saying is that I don't like the Brownings for some reason and just looking for an alterative.

I do intend to go to a local shop in a few weeks and try out a few, which I am sure which will ultimately determine which I gun I go for.

It's all about fit.

When I first started on clays around 6 years ago I used a Beretta 686E I think, lovely gun.

I got my licence, did some overtime and had the money to buy one.

Went to the gun shop with an experienced shooter but with his and the dealers advice ended up with a Miroku MK38 sporter, my heart was set on a Beretta.

Whatever way I looked at it Berettas off the shelf don't fit me, the gun I bought was the closest I could get to fit of the shelf, I found out later that it's a rather a decent gun too.

Go to some recommended shops with an open mind, buy the gun that fits best that's in your budget is my advice. Don't get caught up on price or brand, they all go bang at the end of the day.

Edited by Muddy Funker

if you like the browning try a miroku, more or less the same gun but differant name, as said above if buying new try the mk70, in my experience browning and mirokus have a differant feel to the o/u berrettas so its one or the other. whatever you choose gun fit is paramount.

If your tall and have a long neck you probably need a high comb so an adjustable stock may suit there are plenty in that range don't rush to buy the new 725 may suit as it has the new lower profile action, perhaps a miroku (generally have straighter higher stocks) or a cynergy (marmite gun) or a something totally different you might get a 682 beretta or a Caesar guerini used for £1500

Edited by HDAV

Used guns normally get you more bang for your buck, provided it isn't hammered.

I recommend keeping to known products as resale value and saleability will be better than something obscure. Should it fail, parts and service ought to be more straightforward too.

As to which make, there are many good ones and it will be down to what suits your needs, what fits, what is in budget and what you prefer, in roughly that order.

Your budget is looking pretty good for a very tidy 2nd hand gun from a known brand.

Browning/Mirokus are pretty much same thing..(Mk60 is fixed choke Mk70 multi mk38 usually multi and seen as clay gun)You pay a bit more for the Browning badge.Beretta are typically much slimmer in the hand.As you prefer beretta type then I would say you've answered your own question.

Other premium brands to try with slimmer actions are Caesar Guerini/Kemen/Perazzi.I am not sure £1500 will quite get the latter though.......Beretta 682 are classic clay guns.

As you have shot for a few years you should have a fair idea....buy the gun you shoot best with,not the one you like the look of best...!! From what you say I think the 682 should tick the right boxes.

atb.

I finally received my gun license at the weekend, so I am after my first gun. I have had a number of lessons over the last two/ three years and have used both Beretta Silver Pigeons and Browning 525. The gun will be mostly used for clay shooting. I generally prefer the Berreta Silver Pigeons but have been told that as I am quite tall, long arms and a long neck that the Browning would suit me better ? I just wondered if there are any models in the Beretta range that would have a simlar fitting to a Browning 525. Are there any other brands of gun that would have a similar fitting to the Browning 525.

I guess what I am really saying is that I don't like the Brownings for some reason and just looking for an alterative.

I do intend to go to a local shop in a few weeks and try out a few, which I am sure which will ultimately determine which I gun I go for.

If you like the Beretta silver pigeon and feel comfortable with it buy one,your going to shoot it. Why would the Browning suit you better ? That does not make any sense to me. Buy what you are comfortable with, both are good reliable guns and will hold their value. If you buy Browning, Beretta, Miroku,guerini, perazzi they are at the better end and will hold their value.

Bill

The landlord who I rent my business premises off has offered to lend me his Miroku for 24 hours, just to see how I get on with it. He has also suggested I try his Caesar Guerini, although not sure which model.

What a nice chap! well worth going and trying them both to see how you get on. There are hundreds of guns for sale in your budget new/used Grade 1-5 and lots of choice so go hoot some have fun and see what you like.

Betenzoli to me are a good value for money wee gun,They do a Silver Line which would be similar in a lot of ways to the Silver pigeon. Now before I get shouted at Iam not saying its the same Quailty just similar Gun...Personally I wouldn't use a Berreta Pigeon for clays but that's just me..

Betenzoli to me are a good value for money wee gun,They do a Silver Line which would be similar in a lot of ways to the Silver pigeon. Now before I get shouted at Iam not saying its the same Quailty just similar Gun...Personally I wouldn't use a Berreta Pigeon for clays but that's just me.

Why would you not use a Beretta silver pigeon on clays ?

Bill.

Why would you not use a Beretta silver pigeon on clays ?

Bill.

Was thinking the same, the silver pigeon 1's for intance come in bothe sporter and game versions and used both on clays. Yes with game gun they are lighter and probally have a auto safety which can be a pain if you forget to switch it off each time you fire it. As long as you use light loads in game versions the reccoil should be ok.With the sporter versions these are designed for clay shooting, I do find the SP1 sporter feels lighter than the beretta 686E.

Was thinking the same, the silver pigeon 1's for intance come in bothe sporter and game versions and used both on clays. Yes with game gun they are lighter and probally have a auto safety which can be a pain if you forget to switch it off each time you fire it. As long as you use light loads in game versions the reccoil should be ok.With the sporter versions these are designed for clay shooting, I do find the SP1 sporter feels lighter than the beretta 686E.

What I mean is not everyone likes the same gun no matter how good they are,I am in no way knocking the silver Pigeon great gun but just things about it I personally don't like.As Iam sure there are Guns I would use that maybe you wouldn't have near you...Just an opinion not a criticism...

Also forgot to ask, is it possible to date a second hand gun from the serial number ? If so, where do I go to obtain the dates ?

On Browning yes it’s the serial number: the year code is 2 letters in the serial number-

Z=1

Y=2

X=3

W=4

V=5

T=6

R=7

P=8

N=9

M=0

So ZM is 2010

On Beretta You check the age by the last 2 letters of the Italian proof marks stamped on the gun not the serial number.

BM-1999

BN-2000

BP-2001

BS-2002

BT-2003

BU-2004

BZ- 2005

CA - 2006

CB - 2007

CC - 2008

CD - 2009

CF - 2010

CH - 2011

CI - 2012

Those are the only ones I have but there are plenty of places on the web that list them all if you need to go back further. :good:

Had many guns over the years some cheap and some not so cheap,have settled on a mk70 sporter,great gun the only thing they can be a bit low other than that i love it.

Low as in comb? Get it made adjustable ?

Powerkiter the ultraXS is a much better gun IMO than the 525 and I own a 525! More important than age is the usage was it trap AA shooters gun with 30k shells a year through it and 4 years old? Or a 10 year old gun owned by a leisure shooter who shot 1000 a year sometimes less!