Whats the flimsiest reason you've heard of for losing ticket

Bangon

I was talking to a chap a few months ago and he told me of a story of a guy he knew who was a landowner and keen shotgun shooter.

The landowner was selling off a bit of land and had a bit of a dispute with the buyer who owned a piece of adjoining land.

Anyway the sale fell through.

One day the police arrived at the land owners door to confiscate his guns.

the reason was he had apparently shot the car belonging to the prospective land buyer.

The story is he put a few dents in his car with a small punch and reported it to get revenge.

It wasn't a close range shot, The lead shot had apparently travelled from the landowners property to his hitting his car.

The story goes he lost his ticket.

Have you heard of any flimsy ticket losing incidents.

If I lost mine it would be like losing a limb, Id have to start fishing again

Edited by Bangon

That's all these are - stories or rumours.

Why perpetuate them?

Precisely.

There is probably a grain of truth in all of these tales but the problem is that you only get on side of the story, usually. Most are of the 'urban legend' type - it's always, 'I heard of a bloke...' or ' a mate of a mate knows someone who...'.

The police cannot simply decide to yank your cert because they feel like it. They have to have a reason to do it and there are actually very few reasons as to why they can. If they pull a cert they have to be able to defend the decision at court if the holder appeals.

J.

The worst I know of is a domestic dispute where the police were called and the husband was taken away due to breach of the peace, the wife was being smarmy as they led the man out and has a handful of minstrels that she was picking at as he walked past.

The husband knocked her hand up sending the sweets flying up in the air and the copper charged the guy with assault...and 10 years later after 2 attempts still hasn't got his ticket back, even after the wife wrote a letter saying the husband had never been a threat and it was all blown out or proportion.

I can confirm the above is 100% true.

I can also confirm the man in question held arms for queen and country for 12 years.....

Disgrace!

I have heard of a few people who have lost their certificates following divorce. Not so much because they were considered a threat but more because they moved into unsuitable accomodation.

One a few years ago because he developed epilepsy after by-pass surgery. he was shocked but their thought process was that if he had another seizure while out shooting. OK he said thats not a problem because I always shoot in company. Oh no that won't work because if you keel over the people you are with will be in unlawful possession of your guns. So he said well what if somebody just drops dead on the range. They said that couldn't be forseen, him having a seizure could. He did lose his licence but carried on shooting using a club rifle. You really couldn't make it up.

I just think he was very unlucky and got the wrong FEO

Edited by Vince Green

I have heard of a few people who have lost their certificates following divorce. Not so much because they were considered a threat but more because they moved into unsuitable accomodation.

One a few years ago because he developed epilepsy after by-pass surgery. he was shocked but their thought process was that if he had another seizure while out shooting. OK he said thats not a problem because I always shoot in company. Oh no that won't work because if you keel over the people you are with will be in unlawful possession of your guns. So he said well what if somebody just drops dead on the range. They said that couldn't be forseen, him having a seizure could. He did lose his licence but carried on shooting using a club rifle. You really couldn't make it up.

I just think he was very unlucky and got the wrong FEO

To be honest he should have probably appealed that. The point about someone else being in unlawful possession is so ridiculous it's laughable. Yes, they would be, but that could be given as a reason not to let anyone out of their house on their own with a gun.

The significant factor here seems to be that the police have not objected to his club membership. If he is unfit due to being a danger in the field then surely he's a danger anywhere?

J.

He got into a fight and hit a guy over the head with a bottle ABH. He rep-applied three years later and got it back.

Who did? :lol:

He got into a fight and hit a guy over the head with a bottle ABH. He rep-applied three years later and got it back.

Who did? :blink:

Very few of the ones on here are known to be true - i.e where all the story is known.

Unless people have a story that they know to be 100% correct in every way, I think it should stay off this thread. Why post about hearing about a guy who lost a certificate because he looked at a police officer in a funny way on a late night with a full moon...?

Facts only.

Very few of the ones on here are known to be true - i.e where all the story is known.

Unless people have a story that they know to be 100% correct in every way, I think it should stay off this thread. Why post about hearing about a guy who lost a certificate because he looked at a police officer in a funny way on a late night with a full moon...?

Facts only.

True the police can't just take your firearms of you because the feel like it. They have guidelines that they are supposed to follow. Not doing so would leave them open to legal challenge.

i know a guy who claims he lost his when his wife rang up to say they spliting up.

A good idea if you are in that situation is to store your firearms at a dealer. The police could argue that they were concerned that the firearms could be used in a stressful situation as has happened in similar situations.

snapback.pnggixer1, on 09 September 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

Dependant on circumstance!

I am explaining the circumstances. The person i was referring to and what happened in his case as above. For those that are a bit thick i will post it again in a way they will understand. The person that i know had his firearms certificate revoked for assaulting a guy. With me so far. He reapplied a few years later and he got his certificate back. I realise it could be a attempt at humor i suppose some people are easily amused. :hmm: PS Don't give up your day jobs.

Sorry, there may be some confusion here - is the above directed at me?

My experience is 100% confirmed...and I was not doubting the one you mentioned.

Regards,

Gixer