Got the Gun , what else do I require

bigolbear

The list could be as long as you want to make it , certainly decoys , hide net and poles for a start a pigeon magnet and or flapper if you begin to take it seriously , cartridge bag , game bag for rough shooting is handy , but first on the list if you have not already got it should be insurance.

Cartridges were going to be my next daft question LOL ,is Camo clothing really necessary I just got a Musto whisper :no: .

insurance done . foot ware required I am looking at Dealer boots and gaiters . Bag required , I have a Brahma Leather Hat .

the Pigeon equipment I'm looking any advice I can get please

Yeah, hearing/eye protection and gun care kit next for sure these are a must.

If you're gonna have a crack at the pigeons in the field you will need to camo up. Any hint of white and these guys will see you a mile away literally!!!

Boonie hat is a good shout, swivel stool,,,,,

Some things are essential others just make life easier. Just build it up week by week, month by month. Enjoy :good:

Cartridges were going to be my next daft question LOL ,is Camo clothing really necessary I just got a Musto whisper :no: .

insurance done . foot ware required I am looking at Dealer boots and gaiters . Bag required , I have a Brahma Leather Hat .

the Pigeon equipment I'm looking any advice I can get please

No absolutely you do not need to be covered from head to toe in camo to shoot pigeons and to be quite frank those that say you do have been watching too many sniper films! .

I would happily shoot pigeons in a pink shirt ( if I were that way inclined ) but I would recommend any drab coloured clothing , it does not have to be camo , the key when shooting pigeons is to keep movement to a minimum until they have committed to the decoys .

No absolutely you do not need to be covered from head to toe in camo to shoot pigeons and to be quite frank those that say you do have been watching too many sniper films! .

I would happily shoot pigeons in a pink shirt ( if I were that way inclined ) but I would recommend any drab coloured clothing , it does not have to be camo , the key when shooting pigeons is to keep movement to a minimum until they have committed to the decoys .

THANKS I rather like my coat .

I have been reading about shooting pigeons in flight by finding there flight paths sounds interesting ? any one got any experience of trying this

Absolutely... i was shooting during the week, and was standing outside the hide having a slash...

Two pigeons flew around, and landed right in to the pattern - 20 yards away - only lifting when I moved to get the old fella back in his usual resting place.

Green jacket, jeans, and the only camo I was wearing was a realtree cap. It's movement that spooks them most :good:

Edited by humperdingle

DOG

We have two Lhasa Apso's (Think Dougal) you think they will be ok ??? , Did I mention I now have my Shotgun certificate , collect the Gun tomorrow Miroku MK70,

out on the farm on wednesday morning , can anybody recommend a cartridge to start. Load, shot size . I was thinking white pigeon .

are you a member of the BASC

a good knife ,secetars ,and some para cord ,crow caller ,army basher ,toilet paper in a waterproof zip bag !! yes you might laugh ,but it comes in handy sometimes ,a few tesco bags and latex gloves for breasting out pigeon ,a good seat one that when you sit on it your knees are lower than your hips ,stops you getting dead legs in the hide ,i take a alloy one ,it might be a pain to carry for 10 min but when your sat there for hours you dont get cramp :)

• 1 month later...

Well I thought it would be polite to write an update on my re joining the shooting fraternity .I have had some lessons the best find was John at the west midlands shooting ground ,

got 1800 acres to shoot which is an arable farm , Got most of the equipment for the pigeon , fitted my first but pad . but most of all I have met some really nice people , both on here and at clay grounds `/ shops , etc . all have without exception been really kind and only to happy to give advice or pass comment or indeed take the P . so a quick and sencier thanks to al that hve put up with my meny questions and reply with answers that have put me on the right path .

So Cheers to you all :good:

can anybody recommend a cartridge to start. Load, shot size . I was thinking white pigeon .

Gambore clear pigeon, 32 grams 6 is a good cartridge.

But I'd say anything from 28,30,32 grams of size 6 would do.

30/32 grams of 5 would also be good.

And I believe some people like Shooting 7 1/2 shot when decoying pigeons in a 28gram load.