Rifle choice just starting out .22lr & .223

Albert 888

Ok guys just starting out on fac rifles and im in the final stages. hopefully not too far away.

I will be doing a mix of 5o% fox and vermin and 50% target.

the .22lr for indoor 25yrd to 100yrd outdoor and small vermin.

the .223 for 100,200 300yrd outdoor target and fox,but i would allso like to have a go at competative target in the end.

Im in a rifle club and learning all the time.

For the .22lr i am intrested in the cz,t bolt,anni,sako second hand. budget around £500.

the .223 a new varmint barreled laminate non thumbhole or a kevalar type stock with the alloy insert-beding maybe a howa or cz.budget under £1000

I dont want to be choping and changing as i would like to keep and build on the rifle i have and gain confidence.

I have sought advise but would like to hear other peoples opinions,what would you buy knowing what you know and in my position.

Im not ready or in a position to start reloading yet.

Big thanks to the guys who have helped me out so far.

No bickering or falling out on this post please.

Cheers Albert

Put in for .22lr and .223rem on my fac,easy on the pocket and readily available ammo and just what i need for the job.

Have been looking at the howa 1500 short action in the flueted varmint barrel with the laminated stock also the bell and carlson stock with the 10 shot mag.If i was going for a different round than the .223 i think i would go down the .204 route for my needs.But i dont know enough yet to make any changes. Scope wise i am like the leupold for the .223 and the s&b fixed mag for the .22.

two ways on going with the .223 rem (new) in which case the CZ527 varmint kevlar is perfect with the right twist rate for both fox and 300yds target, it needs no great modification other than a skim bedding onto the ali bedding block and perhaps a little trigger work after a run in period by a good trigger man. Only downside is single shot from a sledge or limited to mag capacity.

then the (used) route. Buy a Sako Vixen, sako 75 or Tikka 595 or T3 or similar with a good stock,action,trigger and take something of a punt on the barrel lasting while you gain experiance. Lots of these exist that have only done a box of ammo a year. Definatly a varmint and preferably a laminate stock, not a plasic one and pillar bed it (which you have the skills to do yourself with guidence). If or when the barrel fails your looking at £700 or so for a border archer fitted. Add up the rifle at five hundred and the new tube at seven and you are not far from your budjet (get it re-done in the wildfowling season) You might well get a good few years out of the origonal barrel though! When your thinking of budjet remember the scope, second hand looks quite good then. The T3 and i think the 595 you can purchase extended magazine fittings for - a big plus on certain events.

As regards rimfires an origonal full length Sako finfire Varmint would be fab., but hard to get magazines, parts etc for already. Two choices only to my mind CZ 452 short varmint or the new Laminate thumbhole varmint. Cheap mags easy to get all the bits you might ever need and great value

Expect to pay as much secondhand for a finfire (maybee more) than a brand new CZ and watch for bad shortening, dogey threading and the slightest hint of mechanical issues.

.223 rem is the best choice by far for your purposes, just dont shoot that military rubbish

Come on guys you must have some opinions. All is welcome. The more the better. Not keen on the tika.

Neither am i particulary but you can get the bigger mag kits for tactical comps, the early 595's were cracking accurate guns though before they added all the plastic. For me it has to be a dedicated small action though

I know nothing about target shooting but on moving from rf to cf I plumped for .243 that way I protected for deer too. With 58grn you have close to .22-250 flatness and at 95+ gn you can also cover deer.

The two caveats here are suitability of 243 for target and whether or not you can get it conditioned for fox in your region, you can in mine.

I know nothing about target shooting but on moving from rf to cf I plumped for .243 that way I protected for deer too. With 58grn you have close to .22-250 flatness and at 95+ gn you can also cover deer.

The two caveats here are suitability of 243 for target and whether or not you can get it conditioned for fox in your region, you can in mine.

A .243 would get to hot for 5 shots plus and the target shooting im doing at the moment,I put 10 through one and couldnt remove the mod or pack away as to hot,and i dont need it for deer yet.

But thanks for the reply.

Come on guys you must have some opinions. All is welcome. The more the better. Not keen on the tika.

I had an early 595 in .223, real accurate gun and always a joy to use, had a look around at other makes and have had a couple of others but always get drawn back to the tikka's, currently using a M55 in .243, personally think it's better than the 595! For me it's all about how smooth to use the bolt is, how crisp the trigger lets go, and of course that it shoots!

Ok guys just starting out on fac rifles and im in the final stages. hopefully not too far away.

I will be doing a mix of 5o% fox and vermin and 50% target.

the .22lr for indoor 25yrd to 100yrd outdoor and small vermin.

the .223 for 100,200 300yrd outdoor target and fox,but i would allso like to have a go at competative target in the end.

Im in a rifle club and learning all the time.

For the .22lr i am intrested in the cz,t bolt,anni,sako second hand. budget around £500.

the .223 a new varmint barreled laminate non thumbhole or a kevalar type stock with the alloy insert-beding maybe a howa or cz.budget under £1000

I dont want to be choping and changing as i would like to keep and build on the rifle i have and gain confidence.

I have sought advise but would like to hear other peoples opinions,what would you buy knowing what you know and in my position.

Im not ready or in a position to start reloading yet.

Big thanks to the guys who have helped me out so far.

No bickering or falling out on this post please.

Cheers Albert

Take a look dunno if you would be interested price is negotiable? Im in Chester

http://www.gunwatch.co.uk/guns/4144-Remington-700vls-s-b-8x56-for-sale

• 3 weeks later...

Albert 888 is already showing a personal preference for makes, that's life, what is best for one is not necessarlly best for another. And that's why advice on forums is interesting!

Apparently a .22lr and a .223 are on the list, possibly a heavy barreled .22lr, but unless the target work is serious I'd stick with a light barrel.

.223 sounds more like a Varmint barrel may be required, down side is, that will be a heavy lump to carry around in the field! :hmm: ......."i would allso like to have a go at competative target in the end", what sort of target, to be competative you may well need a dedicated rifle! :yes:

......"I dont want to be choping and changing"... it will be rare, noting your opening post, that you hit the jackpot day one, odds are pretty strong you will buy what you think you need and learn what you really need after some experience! :good:

ATB!

For the .223 have a look at the tika super varmint heavy barrel adjustable cheek piece etc its heavy but functional and they tend to shoot very well. Ok not light to lug about foxing but you can do it and if you shoot from a vehicle no problem. It will also be fine on the range and you won't have any issues with the standard stock

For the .223 have a look at the tika super varmint heavy barrel adjustable cheek piece etc its heavy but functional and they tend to shoot very well. Ok not light to lug about foxing but you can do it and if you shoot from a vehicle no problem. It will also be fine on the range and you won't have any issues with the standard stock

+1 I have a few tikkas in various calibers ok the stocks might seem a plasticky but they shoot supremely well surely thats the most important thing!

Sorry i forgot to update this. I have bought a s/h .223 cz527 kevlar varmint 1/9twist. BIG THANKS to fister.added a ase northstar mod and borrowed a scope of a good friend.Untill i find a suitable one. Got the rifle grouping at 100yrds 3 shots with 1/2" hole centers of each other with 55gr ppu sp's so i am more than happy. just need to test on the big range at 200 and 300yrds.

Think i will be buying a new .22 cz 452 or 455 16" varmint barrel Or anything very simular s/h ie hw60 or sako finfire.