Yet another which gun question ...

robbiep

OK. The decrepit old BSA Lightning .22 (was pushing out 9.8-9.9 lbft a few weeks ago, with cheapie Tasco 4*32 scope) that I was given a few years ago has finally bitten the dust. So, I need to get a replacement for it.

Requirements are as follows :

mainly used for jackdaws, magpies, crows around the yard. Pigeons in the barn. Occasional rabbits, and rare rats or greys.

Preferably .22 (yes, thats purely personal prejudice against the smaller calibre, but live with it)

Not hugely expensive to maintain. I've heard various horror stories about some PCP guns needing large amounts of servicing, and anything high-tech Daystate-ish is out. (why on earth do you need an LCD screen on a gun)

Accurate (or rather, consistent). Even with the old Lightning, I could make a ragged hole with 10 pellets @ 35 metres, before it started to die.

Cheap (ok, under £300, ready to go. Under £200 is even better. Preferably cheaper. Second hand is obviously fine)

The gun gets occasional use. It might go out every day for a week, and spend a lot of time out on a weekend. Then it might sit in the house for a month. When I pick it up again, I don't want to be faffing around before heading out with it.

Part of me says under-lever, due to not having issues with the barrel not re-seating perfectly aligned that you can get with break-barrel guns. But I'm willing to take recommendations.

Please, don't trash someone elses suggestions.

Oh. anyone want a dead BSA Lightning ? Denbighshire, free.

The old BSA is now gone.

Edited by robbiep

I have just bought a HW95, and so far am very impressed with the quality and how 'solid' it feels. I am still breaking it in at the moment though as it has only had 100 or so pellets through it.

Very generous offer on the BSA, i would love to fix it up but unfortunately its a 8 hour round trip for me :(

Yes the HW 95 is a very good break barrel , light weight too which is a bonus , the HW 97 is also a fantastically accurate gun and its that that I use ,but fairly heavy .

The TX 200 is much loved by many , I had one and proffered the HW 97 , again it is a heavy gun , the prosport is also well regarded but I have not had one myself so cant comment.

Mrs Gun's Gamo Whisper X (break barrel) would fit the bill. Synthetic stock, double spring so easy to cock, moderator built in, light to carry around. Bought at CLA Game Fair for around £250 (from memory) complete with scope and slip - in .22. Loves RWS pellets and regulary accounts for corvids, tree rats, pigeons and other vermin.

TX200 awesome but heavy! HW95 awesome not so heavy HW97 somewhere between the 2! HW95 would be my choice I still have mine 13 years on....doesnt get much use these days!

£200 will just get you HW95 http://www.gunstar.c...le-gs89464.aspx

£250 gets you a TX200 http://www.guntrader...120911213445997

HW90 http://www.gunstar.c...le-gs93347.aspx Gas Ram version of the 95 ??? worth a read http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/weihrauch_hw90_and_hw98_rifles/

Edited by HDAV

HW80 as it will come in at the budjet you suggest second hand in decent condition. Try for the HW80K with fitted silencer. I have owned TX's but in a barn at night they aint the easiest thing to load quickly by feel alone though great guns in most other espects, good ones tend to be 250 up though and for a realy nice pro-sport add on maybee another ton. Now all you need to find is some extra low mounts and a 1.5-5X20mm WTC ! If your a little bloke you might want to look at the girly smaller HW break barrel, it puts out equal power off ticket but is a little more jumpy

You seem to have your goals well sorted

Well, I've had a good browse online, checked out a few possibles, decided I really wanted a underlever, and gone and bought ...

a HW 77K. .22, with a Kassnar 4* scope (doesnt say4* what, but it's about 42), and a really nice Kassnar woven leather sling.

Heavy, but that's no problem for me, I used to shoot .22 converted lee enfield .303s in the (very) old days.

The sling wraps beautifully to brace for really steady standing shots. The release clip for the underlever is a bit fiddly, and the blueing on the barrel and underlever is a little tired, but mechanically it is in fantastic condition. Spent about 30 minutes getting a zero at 25 metres, and then put 5 pellets in a ragged hole that could be covered by a 2p coin. Give me a bit of practice, and maybe re-weighting the trigger pull, and I'll tighten that up a lot.

And the price for that ... I think a very reasonable £200. Including a 6 month warranty.

IF your set on a break barrel then tx200 would be my choice.

BUT the thebeon fenman is very solidly built and uses compressed air so cant lose power over time (even though its minimal in a spring) Accurate and the lockup is not something to worry about there.

Also theres a new crosman gas ram for £250 i think or the new BSA ligtning grt which is a gas ram but given your previous experience you may not like that idea.

PCP would not be the way for you to go i dont think. I have the same dillemas and I dont want to faff about and pay for charging gear.

Good luck pal

• 2 weeks later...

OK. The decrepit old BSA Lightning .22 (was pushing out 9.8-9.9 lbft a few weeks ago, with cheapie Tasco 4*32 scope) that I was given a few years ago has finally bitten the dust. So, I need to get a replacement for it.

Requirements are as follows :

mainly used for jackdaws, magpies, crows around the yard. Pigeons in the barn. Occasional rabbits, and rare rats or greys.

Preferably .22 (yes, thats purely personal prejudice against the smaller calibre, but live with it)

Not hugely expensive to maintain. I've heard various horror stories about some PCP guns needing large amounts of servicing, and anything high-tech Daystate-ish is out. (why on earth do you need an LCD screen on a gun)

Accurate (or rather, consistent). Even with the old Lightning, I could make a ragged hole with 10 pellets @ 35 metres, before it started to die.

Cheap (ok, under £300, ready to go. Under £200 is even better. Preferably cheaper. Second hand is obviously fine)

The gun gets occasional use. It might go out every day for a week, and spend a lot of time out on a weekend. Then it might sit in the house for a month. When I pick it up again, I don't want to be faffing around before heading out with it.

Part of me says under-lever, due to not having issues with the barrel not re-seating perfectly aligned that you can get with break-barrel guns. But I'm willing to take recommendations.

Please, don't trash someone elses suggestions.

Oh. anyone want a dead BSA Lightning ? Denbighshire, free.

The old BSA is now gone.

robbie.

Lightning now restored to like new condition. ... As you said very accurate. Love this gun. Thank you. .... Len.

I know, I know but AA S410 - if it ever needs a service you can strip it down and second hand they are a steal. Same goes for BSA Ultra, both very,very accurate.

I still use a springer but its a pain to use in volumes and when I'm doing a job rahter than enjoying my time I need something that can handle numbers.