Pie hunting and a try of the Bisley Magnums .177

chrisjpainter

I thought I'd give the bisley mags a whirl in my .177 S510. I've never been that interested in heavier pellets, but it's a great day to test heavy pellets - an ugly strong wind gusting all over the place! So it's 5am and off I set.

The village is still dead and not there's not even a whisper from the farm, although I'd have struggled to hear Armageddon such was the wind.

Into the first field I go and my hat blows off. With that retrieved it's a slow mooch up the fields, straining the eyes to see any kind of bunny action. It's not long before a couple of shapes explode out of the hedge and start legging it about the field. 60yds: too far even on a still day, let alone in this hurricane. But it's still very gloomy and they have no idea I'm about, so they come racing towards me. I'm down prone and just as they stop, the wind eases a touch. 25yds: 1/2 mil dot low, good pull to the right and bang! half a pie goes flat. His mate is untroubled but and sitting at a nice 40 yds. he's unbothered by the brutal slaying of his pal, so I give the wind time to stop mucking about so much, then take the shot. thwack! Pie 1 complete.

The mooch continues and I approach a known bunny bashing hotspot. Time for some ultra slow stalking. wind: head on - perfect. cover: bushes and trees with no silhouette - ideal. 80 yds and closing when a rabbit shoots out from 10 yds sees me and legs it making all the others down the field dive for cover. no more pie from this field :(

It's starting to drizzle, daylight's here and I need a cup of tea, so I head to one more happy haunt for a last couple before home. Bunnies a plenty. slow stalk going well. 80 yds and closing when a rabbit shoots out from 10 yds sees me and legs it making all the others down the field dive for cover. Where had I seen that before?

Well, that's the end of the shooting, so I head for home, but 200m away, I see a sinister black shape skulking around the fringes of the woods! Could this be the legendary panther oft whispered about in our pub but never witnessed before?! No. it was a muntjac. I've worked with leopards and cheetahs in Africa and aside from them being on 4 legs, there really isn't much similarity between them and a deer, but just today, if I shut one eye and squinted with the other, then for an instant I had myself convinced. What an end to the morning that would have been!

But alas, no deadly big cat and no more pie fodder, but definitely impressed with the Bisley Mags! The conditions were stinking for a .177 but two perfect kills will do me fine!

Pedantic hat on....check your spellings and diction b4 posting-hat off-best account for quite a while-I was there with you for a while!! Well done and keep em coming :good:

Seriously, if you're that much of a pedant, you should look closer to home. Maybe take a look at the correct use of a hyphen as opposed to a comma, as well as correct abbreviation.

Great report making an enjoyable read, and I couldn't give a stuff if it's not perfectly structured, readable is a bonus here on occasion! :lol:

Edited by -Mongrel-

Many thanks for your critique,Mongrel,I use the Hyphen cos its easy to spot,I only have one eye and that has seen considerable laser surgery which makes typing with any speed tricky in the dining room where we have **** energy saving bulbs fitted-the full stop and comma are too close to guarantee hitting the correct one every time (dont have spell check either).

My comment was meant as a compliment to the OP and ,as far as I can tell,he has yet to complain about it.If you have nothing constructive to say,may I suggest that you say nothing? I have no desire to enter into a battle of wits-especially with a man who is,clearly,unarmed.Final comment.

If I was to respond, I might say something about have a BA in English and Philosophy and a Masters in English Literature, as well as Chronic insomnia, which has left me with 4 hours' sleep in the last 72. My reply, were I to make one, wouldn't be like this for the purposes of showing off. Rather, it would be to suggest that this is not how I would write if it was important, and to highlight the possibility that there are reasons why the English was so poor. It might also hint at the possibility that there is more to life than spending time finding errors on a forum. Menus, billboards and TV programmes should be held to a higher standard, but when it is a public forum then I would suggest, in this hypothetical response, that the rules can be relaxed a touch.

Obviously, I would only this if I was to respond, which I am not going to do.

If I was to respond, I might say something about have ing a BA in English and Philosophy and a Masters in English Literature, as well as Chronic insomnia, which has left me with 4 hours' sleep in the last 72. My reply, were I to make one, wouldn't be like this for the purposes of showing off. Rather, it would be to suggest that this is not how I would write if it was important, and to highlight the possibility that there are reasons why the English was so poor. It might also hint at the possibility that there is more to life than spending time finding errors on a forum. Menus, billboards and TV programmes should be held to a higher standard, but when it is a public forum then I would suggest, in this hypothetical response, that the rules can be relaxed a touch.

Obviously, I would only write this if I was to respond, which I am not going to do.

Fixed it for you, (CW - "O" level English )

;)

ps, what's this "brutal slaying" about ?

Many thanks for your critique,Mongrel,I use the Hyphen cos its easy to spot,I only have one eye and that has seen considerable laser surgery which makes typing with any speed tricky in the dining room where we have s""t energy saving bulbs fitted-the full stop and comma are too close to guarantee hitting the correct one every time (dont have spell check either).

My comment was meant as a compliment to the OP and ,as far as I can tell,he has yet to complain about it.If you have nothing constructive to say,may I suggest that you say nothing? I have no desire to enter into a battle of wits-especially with a man who is,clearly,unarmed.Final comment.

People in glass houses and all that. Open forum, free country, if I choose to make comment then so be it, whether you like it or not. As for your visual difficulties...didn't stop you reading the comments ok did it! BS at its best.

Oh yes, and as my final comment, I believe resorting to insults is the usual tactic of those without the necessary mental or literary weapons to compete, I've not been proven wrong yet and suspect I won't be this time.

Edited by -Mongrel-

and imagine if they grow thumbs

NO. I'm not going to imagine that. Too terrifying...

Fixed it for you, (CW - "O" level English )

;)

ps, what's this "brutal slaying" about ?

Put yourself in the rabbit's shoes. (Now they're organised, with thumbs AND a dress code...) You see your mate shot through the head with no obvious cause or reason. That's fairly brutal...

People in glass houses and all that. Open forum, free country, if I choose to make comment then so be it, whether you like it or not. As for your visual difficulties...didn't stop you reading the comments ok did it! BS at its best.

Oh yes, and as my final comment, I believe resorting to insults is the usual tactic of those without the necessary mental or literary weapons to compete, I've not been proven wrong yet and suspect I won't be this time.

Key board warriors are rather mongrel by nature and name!!!!! Chris take no notice

great shooting and read ,

regards brian