English Partridges

Whitebridges

On the few acres I look after I was hoping for a good year as we had a good stock last winter, so far we have 4 barren pairs, a single cock and a minor miracle, a covey of about 8 or 9. Not had a good look at the covey yet but it may well be that that half of them are adult birds.

All I can say is that unless you are fortunate enough to have good numbers on your land then do not shoot any at all.

The poor breeding success of Grey partridges was inevitable after such a wet summer. That and the increasing corvid, raptor, fox, stoat and weasel population. Only grouse of our native game birds seem to be able to withstand wet like it. Even then in some areas nests were washed out with the hen grouse vainly attempting to sit on eggs covered in water.

ours we didn't see any young till recently when we have seen a couple of broods however have seen two coveys of @30 and a few in smaller groups. That and more hares than ever is quite surprising as I've also shot more foxes on the ground than ever, its been a funny year wet for too long, too much cover to get hold of foxes and weirdly most of ours have done ok.

ours we didn't see any young till recently when we have seen a couple of broods however have seen two coveys of @30 and a few in smaller groups. That and more hares than ever is quite surprising as I've also shot more foxes on the ground than ever, its been a funny year wet for too long, too much cover to get hold of foxes and weirdly most of ours have done ok.

the two coveys of 30 birds I would suspect are released birds, they seem to have a habit of settling in a long way away from where they were initially liberated.

except its ground we always have a resident population on, no one round here releases English. Its usually interesting we have half the farm they thrive on and the other half you very rarely see them on where we get plenty of french but everyone releases them round about.

All I can say is that unless you are fortunate enough to have good numbers on your land then do not shoot any at all.

well said fella. no point shooting the breeding stock if numbers are low. if you have plenty then lucky for you. i would love to see those days again!

I always get more enjoyment out of driving around the stubbles and seeing a covey for the first time, especially if I knew it was a pair that was on territory back in Juanuary, could have been shot but were left, and now have a whole load of youngsters with them.

When I was a teenager back in the eighties and lucky for a city lad to have a couple of farms for rough shooting, then the English Partridge were our main quarry species, a pheasant or a Redleg (wild) made it a red letter day! They are still hanging on and have done quite well in the last couple of years, but this summer has knocked them back to square one.

• 3 weeks later...