Solicitor messing about

walshie

Does anyone know how long it should take a solicitor to deal with a deceased person's estate?

My mother passed away in May 2011 and it is still not completed.

Granted, the DWP decided to investigate in case they had paid her a couple of quid too much, but is this time acceptable or is there some sort of Ombudsman I can take it up with?

Or is Mungler's way the way to go?

Cheers.

Does anyone know how long it should take a solicitor to deal with a deceased person's estate?

My mother passed away in May 2011 and it is still not completed.

Granted, the DWP decided to investigate in case they had paid her a couple of quid too much, but is this time acceptable or is there some sort of Ombudsman I can take it up with?

Or is Mungler's way the way to go?

Cheers.

The letter you received when they were instructed has all the information required to make a complaint. Has to be made at the firm level first before approaching the ombudsman. Have you asked what the delay is?

I don't know if it's of any help but, I dealt with both my parents estates myself, my Father was relatively straightforward and took me four months. My Mothers estate was a little more complex and involved going through probate, whole process took ten months.... I will point out for anyone considering doing it themselves, it can be quite frustrating and stressfull, which you don't realise until the last letter hits the mat, then you kinda fall apart for a couple of hours

Walshie, im still sorting out my in laws estate from march 2011. Who was the firm you used? Its a shame they are so unregulated. What they fail to remember is that they are dealing with grieving families. We used a company recommended by the Co-Op call Kings Court Trust. Ive never dealt with such shysters in all my life. They all appear to drag their heels whilst what is yours sits in a big bank account. Who gets the interest on all this cash?? Thieving swines.

Walshie, im still sorting out my in laws estate from march 2011. Who was the firm you used? Its a shame they are so unregulated. What they fail to remember is that they are dealing with grieving families. We used a company recommended by the Co-Op call Kings Court Trust. Ive never dealt with such shysters in all my life. They all appear to drag their heels whilst what is yours sits in a big bank account. Who gets the interest on all this cash?? Thieving swines.

Bit awkward to name them as they are my solicitors and my late mother's also. They won't be mine after this fiasco though. They have assured me I will be paid all including interest. So far they have charged me nearly 5 grand.

I don't know if it's of any help but, I dealt with both my parents estates myself, my Father was relatively straightforward and took me four months. My Mothers estate was a little more complex and involved going through probate, whole process took ten months.... I will point out for anyone considering doing it themselves, it can be quite frustrating and stressfull, which you don't realise until the last letter hits the mat, then you kinda fall apart for a couple of hours

Stupidly my mother made this solicitor one of the executors. Definitely won't be going down that route myself.

There are very strict rules on client account interest.

The new account rules effectively make it clear that unless it is below a de minimus attention should be drawn to t and cs and a discussion had. But yes, large amounts are rarely generated.

Yeah this is why I normally now limit my advice to complete nonsense. Seriously though, why bother?

Why? Because having done it and nothing else for 15 years and having run my own firm for 7, there's always someone who knows better and who isn't even in the legal profession and who has no practical legal experience.

I'm off to tell a bricky how to knock up a decent mix......

Yeah this is why I normally now limit my advice to complete nonsense. Seriously though, why bother?

Why? Because having done it and nothing else for 15 years and having run my own firm for 7, there's always someone who knows better and who isn't even in the legal profession and who has no practical legal experience.

I'm off to tell a bricky how to knock up a decent mix......

In answer to some of the questions, the DWP part has been sorted a while ago and it is purely the solicitor dragging his feet now.

I wasn't expecting any free legal advice, just an opinion on whether 18 months is the norm or a ridiculously long time. After all, if this muppet can charge £235 an hour, why would anyone provide the info for free?

Mungler, I can see where you are coming from and the "fists flailing" advice seems to make more sense as the days go by. :lol:

Don't forget to tell the brickie to add plasticizer.