recomend me some .222 rounds

All Federal ammo shoots very well in mine. I use 40 grn Vshok because I shoot a lot of rabbits and these are nice and flat and extremely accurate. Half inch groups at 100 yds. Although they're ballistic tips I use them on foxes as well. I've shot foxes at 300 yds and they drop them perfectly but shot placement is important and I'm not lamping, this is dusk shooting. 50 grn Powershok soft points might be a better choice for lamping wihere precise shot placement is more difficult.

The worst rounds I tried were Norma. I think they were 50 grn softs, I can't remember I didn't persevere. 6" 'groups' at 100 yds.

The best bet is to fine tune a hand load. The guy I bought my rifle from had a handful of hand-loaded rounds left and it was drilling those. But I don't load, a mate does my .308 rounds for me. But as I shoot rabbits with the triple the quantities I'd want would be too much to ask. Guess I'll have to build a loading room.

On that point, Federal cases are very good for reloading. Norma aren't, they're brittle.

Edited by Gimlet

norma brass is one of the best for reloading and certainly in my .223 it was very accurate. I'd think though Colin you may be somewhat stuck for what anyone actually stocks. Its probably best to have a call round and see what people have in stock then get a box of each to try, the other thing to remember is first centerfire groups may not be that small to start with and be nothing to do with the ammo. I've watched a few people now gone from rimmies to centerfire and its surprising how long it takes to really get used to it and actually be able to shoot groups.

norma brass is one of the best for reloading and certainly in my .223 it was very accurate. I'd think though Colin you may be somewhat stuck for what anyone actually stocks. Its probably best to have a call round and see what people have in stock then get a box of each to try, the other thing to remember is first centerfire groups may not be that small to start with and be nothing to do with the ammo. I've watched a few people now gone from rimmies to centerfire and its surprising how long it takes to really get used to it and actually be able to shoot groups.

I won't argue about Norma cases. I'm not a loader, but my mate who is doesn't like them at all, so i mention it for what it is worth.

I agree about learning to shoot CFs. I reckon a good .222 or .223 must be one of the best training rifles you can have. You need to teach your brain and your muscles to accept noise and recoil and you can't do that with a rimfire because they don't produce any.

A .222 or .223 produce enough to make their presence felt but not enough to intimidate or cause discomfort, so practise with these calibres trains you to stop hearing and feeling the sound and motion of the gun and concentrate on the shot. Eventually this detatchment becomes automatic and you do it whatever the calibre. :good:

Rimfires only train you to shoot rimfires.

IMHO

Is this a new rifle? Do you know about shooting in the barrel?

no its a second hand 2001 cz527 looks as good as new had a chap at local shop look down the barrel with one of them lights he said it looked good

got it from a dealer not a private sale so couldn't ask last owner what rounds he used

colin

I won't argue about Norma cases. I'm not a loader, but my mate who is doesn't like them at all, so i mention it for what it is worth.

PM me his details, I will have his! :good:

I have moved to only use Norma on three calibres. I even sold the Lapua brass I had in .243 as it just wasnt as good and required annealling much more often

PM me his details, I will have his! :good:

I have moved to only use Norma on three calibres. I even sold the Lapua brass I had in .243 as it just wasnt as good and required annealling much more often

I doubt if he's got any. He doesn't buy factory ammo. Oddly enough he says exactly the opposite and favours Lapua brass for all his own ammo.

I don't know, I only shoot em. I will ask though and if there is any Norma brass going begging I'll post it on here if anyone wants it.

no its a second hand 2001 cz527 looks as good as new had a chap at local shop look down the barrel with one of them lights he said it looked good

got it from a dealer not a private sale so couldn't ask last owner what rounds he used

colin

My 527 likes Remington & Federal

I doubt if he's got any. He doesn't buy factory ammo. Oddly enough he says exactly the opposite and favours Lapua brass for all his own ammo.

I don't know, I only shoot em. I will ask though and if there is any Norma brass going begging I'll post it on here if anyone wants it.

Lapua is generally accepted to be better but you pay through the nose for it, Norma I've used in .223 seemed to do at least 8 re loadings never had an issue with them. The brass is thinner than the lapua but it never seemed a problem just meant you could get more powder in without compression.