pigeon and crow decoys together?

gameshooter93

about ten years ago me and my mate decieded to try crows with pigeons, we had a couple of abortive run outs and then setled on two full bodied crow deeks about 15-20 yds away from the pigeon group, what also works is get the crow deeks and bootpolish them before you go and buff em up so they shine, they seem to work best when you are decoying on drilled land when the corn is just coming thro........

I tried this once, never again. A PW member ( CZ550Kevlar ) kindly offered to take a few guns onto one of his many shoots. This particular shoot had a huge pile of rotting veg that the crows had been feeding on and when we arrived we scared at least 20 crows off it. I put a couple of crow deeks near the veg pile and then moved around the corner of a field and set up the pigeon deeks. I then spent the afternoon wondering why the pigeons were flying right past my deeks and trying to mate with SouthEast Petes and Bighit1985s decoys further along the field. It never occurred to me until the end of the day that the crow deeks were scaring them off - my guess is that the crows had been beating off the pigeons for the week before and they'd got wise.

Lesson learned - try it but don't forget you've done it. If it isn't working then change it.

get the crow deeks and bootpolish them before you go and buff em up so they shine,

I haven't read that tip before, but it makes sense, cheers.

i first tried this sat morning putting one crow deek on the edge of the pigeon pattern and it seemed to work bringing both pigeons and crows in. also we had a crow caller and it seemed to bring the pigeons in dont no if this was just a coincidence will try again this sat morning.

i first tried this sat morning putting one crow deek on the edge of the pigeon pattern and it seemed to work bringing both pigeons and crows in. also we had a crow caller and it seemed to bring the pigeons in dont no if this was just a coincidence will try again this sat morning.

I used a couple of crow deeks away from the pigeon deeks, using a crow caller and it seemed to bring the pigeons in :hmm:

what also works is get the crow deeks and bootpolish them before you go and buff em up so they shine,

:hmm: i thought the objective was to get the decoys pigeons or crows not to shine in the sun and bright conditions ie flocking matt paint etc not deliberatley set out to make them shine ???

:hmm: i thought the objective was to get the decoys pigeons or crows not to shine in the sun and bright conditions ie flocking matt paint etc not deliberatley set out to make them shine ???

quite agree about pigeon deeks should be the same as the plummage of the pigeon.......its just that i have found that buffing up a crow deek works, just look at a crow, it is like a bulled boot ..you can see your reflection in it....i just find it works and it looks right ......

quite agree about pigeon deeks should be the same as the plummage of the pigeon.......its just that i have found that buffing up a crow deek works, just look at a crow, it is like a bulled boot ..you can see your reflection in it....i just find it works and it looks right ......

must admit never thought of it like that, always thought that shine is bad on crow decoys made me curious enough to give it a go sometime

must admit never thought of it like that, always thought that shine is bad on crow decoys made me curious enough to give it a go sometime

how i found out was a few years ago, ..all my crow deeks were usally covered in mud, and i used to chuck em out of the shed in frount of the dogs kennells...and they just looked at them..my mate came round and said " you want to wash them they are rotten"....so i washed them and they looked a bit dull....now an ole crow is black an shiny as a tempered clock spring, so i thought i would give it a bit of a boot polish....so i did and it looked alright...so i quietly waked over to the dog kennells and planted one on the grass...left it a few minits.....an i tell yew bor, blast them dawgs just lit up...they did not want an ole crow in their garden no more..

so ever since i have always buffed them up...

Hi all, sort of new to pigeon shooting, and I was wondering whether I should put out a couple of crow decoys in the pattern when I am pigeon shooting? Will this scare pigeons off if they see crows? would it attract the crows that fly over at a distance?? Any help would be great!

Crows are big and mean they will eat small mammals and will also steal eggs, they are scavengers by nature, which is why they harass birds of prey or even foxes for their kills.

Pigeons do none of the above! A nice big ramdom pattern, clean full grown birds with wing bars showing on the rotary in a field where birds are flighting into feed, shoot at a distance you are comfortable with and add shot birds to the pattern as you go will make your day.....

Sticking out one crow decoy might cause the odd crow to drift over to cure the boredom of a slow day.

If you watch a crow shooting video the lads don’t put a pigeon on the outside of the pattern to add confidence… they just add more crows not pigeons.....

TEH