Big Game hunting,(particularly big five)

wildfowler.250

I personally would have no desire to shoot large game in Africa. If someone dose then that's fair enough but don't try to say they do it for conservation or some other reason. Be honest they like shooting and killing animals in this case large animals. If that's what turns you on then ok.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chap who did the research is Stephen O'Brien. Some questions have been raised about his methodology and whether low genetic variation within the species leads to any population damage, but the study itself is out there if you care to look.

Cheers! :good:

And thanks for all the replies! Made interesting reading. Can't you really not take an elephant or lion trophy away? Seems like madness if you are paying thousands and can't even take it to a taxidermist!

I personally would have no desire to shoot large game in Africa. If someone dose then that's fair enough but don't try to say they do it for conservation or some other reason. Be honest they like shooting and killing animals in this case large animals. If that's what turns you on then ok.

Have no wish to shoot a giraffe but you can't disagree with the fact that it can spot you from a long way away :lol: and isn't it just a big antelope?

Edited by wildfowler.250

I went to a reception hosted by an outfitter recently, he told me that the only elephants/lions etc you could shoot these days were rogues and you werent allowed to take any part of them as a trophy, only a photo! So they get both revenue incoming (you stay have to pay big bucks to shoot a rogue), they get crop and village protection from the animal, and the village gets food and you get to shoot one of the big 5.

Sounds like win win to me if your pockets are deep enough.

AB

Mate, whoever told you that told you a blatant lie. I can't remember where it is on the site just now but you'll find several pages that list what species can & can't be taken and trophies exported and elephant/lion can be exported/imported to/from many/most countries.

It depends where you go but elephant hunting in some countries such as Zimbabwe is actually reasonably inexpensive...... other countries such as Tanzania price differently and the species is only available on long licences which ramps up the prices dramatically.

Mudpattern

I'm pretty cool on the dance floor huh! LOL! ..... man, if you saw how fugly I really am, you'd realise why I've had to work my **** of walking after big game for so many years instead of strutting my stuff in fancy night clubs! :)

Edited by shakari

Judging by when we had the Indian High comissioner on our pheasant shoot a few years back I think in certain places "the ultimate quarry" are just seen as collateral damage. The keeper at the time did have to mention something along the lines of it may be ok where he usually shoots but beaters here didn't tollerate being shot at.

Thunderbird

That would be a canned lion shoot (almost certainly) in South Africa..... I hate those things and the swine that offer them and have had a long term attempt to hammer them at every opportunity.

Lion management is an extremely complicated business and my opinions don't always agree with others but canned lions & canned lion shooting has burger all to do with hunting, hunters or conservation.........

Articles 17 & 19 might be of interest here: http://www.shakarico...g-articles.html

Edited by shakari

Mate, whoever told you that told you a blatant lie. I can't remember where it is on the site just now but you'll find several pages that list what species can & can't be taken and trophies exported and elephant/lion can be exported/imported to/from many/most countries.

It was Clayton Comins from http://www.umdende.com/index.html - take it up with him, i'm only reporting what i was told when i was considering booking for next year.

I wasn't having a pop at you just at him for telling you such a BS piece of disinformation.

There are some species that can't be hunted/imported but elephant & lion aren't amongst them and FWIW, many hunters around the world take those species on a regular basis & in most cases, ship their trophies home perfectly legally.

I wasn't having a pop at you just at him for telling you such a BS piece of disinformation.

There are some species that can't be hunted/imported but elephant & lion aren't amongst them and FWIW, many hunters around the world take those species on a regular basis & in most cases, ship their trophies home perfectly legally.

There are quotas on trophies iirc and certain countries have a zero quota. CITES website is the place to look.

Not on lion trophies apparently.

Edited by guest1957

The CITES website is an inefficient, unwieldy piece of rubbish and damn near impossible to navigate.

You'll find full, up do date info a lot easier by looking here: http://www.shakarico...trophies.html

and here: http://www.shakarico...pendices.html

There are other issues for example where Oz doesn't allow import of elephant & spotted cat trophies despite CITES issuing quota and the USF&WS not issuing import permits for Mozambican elephant products despite CITES issuing quota and these issues are covered on the site as well but there are no similar issues for UK hunters that I can think of just now.

Edited by shakari