Bismuth

Rimfireboy

It works well but is horrendously expensive.

Is there any special reason you want to use bismuth rather than steel which now works very well after an admittedly bad start.

not tried much steel. Didn't find the 32 gram loads very good. I've got three inch chambers so I'm open for recommendations. I'd like to try bismuth though, just to see how it performs. Got some hevishot but these make bismuth look cheap. In fact, they're too dear really although I know they're good. Edited by Rimfireboy

tungsten matrix 1 and 1/8 of no 5 work very well. Wont touch steel gives too many cripples

I totally disagree. Use a good steel shell and a decent shotsize, and steel performs very well. If you use no.5 steel on 40 yard mallard, you will get cripples - try 2 or 3 and shoot straight and a dead mallard will result.

I totally disagree. Use a good steel shell and a decent shotsize, and steel performs very well. If you use no.5 steel on 40 yard mallard, you will get cripples - try 2 or 3 and shoot straight and a dead mallard will result.

agreed, suitable size shot and enough speed and the rest is in the mind. I held similar thgoughts a few years back untill i grabbed the wrong shells on a crow shoot, i thought i was shooting 36 grm 5 lead untill i found i had grabbed steel by mistake as they were similar in appearance. I use gamebore 3" no3 through half choke it kills every duck if i doi my bit and a few opertunist geese now and again. Everyone gets one pellet hits and a wounder now and again but dont blame the ammo its no worse than lead if you choose the right load and keep it in range

I agree totaly with Motty and Kent. Steel when used correctly does the job within a sensible range. With bismuth I have found it pays to go up one shot size compared to lead , but i hate to think what my cartridge bill would be if bismuth was my main shell. But it does have its place. On one river where I flight duck , the shot has to be taken quickly as they weave through the trees. A game gun and bismuth does the job well while my semi auto with its steel load is much too slow and heavy for such shooting.