New jacket

THE GRIFF

As the colder weather is starting to draw in I am looking for a new jacket and am having a nightmare finding one.

Ideally in a wildfowling pattern/colours, waterproof, an adjustable hood preferably wired, a couple of cartridge pockets and the main thing I am struggling to find is a large game pocket on the back suitable to hold at least 3 or 4 mallard.

Lately I have just been wearing a fleece or light jacket with my shooting waistcoat over the top that has the cartridge pockets and a large game pocket on the back. Last week I had a fleece on then my waistcoat and then a waterproof jacket over that and found it too bulky.

Idealy i am wanting a waterproof jacket with the same pockets as my waistcoat so I don't have to carry a game bag when on the marsh. I do have a game carrier for the geese but don't shoot them often.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have even thought of buying a jacket and putting a game pocket on the back myself but have been told if I stitch through any waterproof materials it will loose its waterproof.

As the colder weather is starting to draw in I am looking for a new jacket and am having a nightmare finding one.

Ideally in a wildfowling pattern/colours, waterproof, an adjustable hood preferably wired, a couple of cartridge pockets and the main thing I am struggling to find is a large game pocket on the back suitable to hold at least 3 or 4 mallard.

Lately I have just been wearing a fleece or light jacket with my shooting waistcoat over the top that has the cartridge pockets and a large game pocket on the back. Last week I had a fleece on then my waistcoat and then a waterproof jacket over that and found it too bulky.

Idealy i am wanting a waterproof jacket with the same pockets as my waistcoat so I don't have to carry a game bag when on the marsh. I do have a game carrier for the geese but don't shoot them often.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have even thought of buying a jacket and putting a game pocket on the back myself but have been told if I stitch through any waterproof materials it will loose its waterproof.

I've been using the rivers west eider jacket best thing since sliced bread in my opinion light to carry , never had a jacket 100% waterproof but this one most certainly is been out in -10 snow storms driving rain the lot and always stayed warm and dry, not cheap but don't begrudge paying it which is unusual for me can't recommend it enough.......

I've been using the rivers west eider jacket best thing since sliced bread in my opinion light to carry , never had a jacket 100% waterproof but this one most certainly is been out in -10 snow storms driving rain the lot and always stayed warm and dry, not cheap but don't begrudge paying it which is unusual for me can't recommend it enough.......

Does it have a game pocket?

I use US marine Marpat jacket thin and super waterproof a couple of layers of merino and a fleece underneath and ur snug and a jack Pyke prosport waistcoat on top for game pocket and cart pockets (in a wee Tupperware box so they keep rust free!)

Edited by utectok

Just checked my Prohunter jacket............definately get 4 Mallard in the game pocket without a problem, great jacket it is too with lots of well thought out pockets for cart's etc but not sure if they come in camo guise? Hideously expensive now since when I bought mine some years back but it is a cracking bit of kit.

Just checked my Prohunter jacket............definately get 4 Mallard in the game pocket without a problem, great jacket it is too with lots of well thought out pockets for cart's etc but not sure if they come in camo guise? Hideously expensive now since when I bought mine some years back but it is a cracking bit of kit.

I use the pro hunter jacket and trousers for stalking think there a brilliant piece of kit but as you say very very expensive but perfect for stalking never worn them on the marsh though....

I looked at the pro hunter jacket last year at York guns and was really impressed with it. I have the pro hunter trousers and am also pleased with those but was wanting a jacket with a wildfowling pattern on it. Harkila only do one camo jacket as far as I know and it is only showerproof not waterproof and it's more of a summer jacket.

i have been umming and arring whether to get the RW jarret, looks and sounds to be a good jacket, just not sure i can afford to be buying one at the moment so i will be sticking with the old wax jackets for now, had them for years now and they never let me down, keep them topped up with wax and jobs a good un. Only cost me around £40 from yorkshire clothing company, nothing flash but they work

I got a green one and a brown one (marsh and mud)

+1 Best jacket i have ever owned. 100% in all ways.

I purchased the Rivers West Eider jacket 2 years ago now, i think it is the best wildfowling jacket i have ever had. Had several sports chief jackets that did quite well but nothing compared to the Rivers West.

see what its like in 8 years thats how long i have had my sports chief and its still going strong never put any water proofer on it and its never let a drop of water in and its had a lot of abuse

The JP Hunter in the wildtrees patern meets most of your requirements, apart from a decent hood, they may not be as good as some of the more expensive jackets, but you can pick em up for about £70 so pretty good value for money.

It depends on budget really, Cabellas probably has something which meets all of your requirements but may cost a bit, especially when you factor in freight and taxes.

Rivers West Eider jackets...(they have a game pocket by the way). Great: they will keep you warm and dry. Not so great: the zip doesn't like the mud (mine split and I had to send my jacket for replacement), so it's a problem if you shoot on the foreshore.

Rivers West Eider jackets...(they have a game pocket by the way). Great: they will keep you warm and dry. Not so great: the zip doesn't like the mud (mine split and I had to send my jacket for replacement), so it's a problem if you shoot on the foreshore.

I didn't realise this jacket had a game pocket, do you mean a large game pocket on the back and how big is it, how many mallard size ducks could you get in it?

I've not had a single problem with my zip and I've been head first in muddy creaks wearing it I go down the foreshore a minimum of 3 times a week and I normally lean up the sides of creaks wearing it keep it lubricated up with a ptfe like spray and the like and you should have no problems had mine for a couple of years with no problems.....

Thanks XAV,

I think this might be the one then for this winter, it was very cold this morning.

I aren't sure if anywhere stocks these rivers west eider jackets anywhere local for me to look at.

Would anyone be so kind as to take a photo of the back of the jacket so I can see what the game pocket looks like and the way it's positioned, some game pockets have two entry points(one at each side) and some have a more awkward opening at the top.

I have searched the net and can't find a picture of the back of the jacket anywhere.

Thanks

I have a eider jacket. Have had it couple of years now. They reli are good jackets. The large ( game) pocket has two entry points, one at each side with zips. The pocket runs across the full back of the jacket. Mine is a size medium and I would say that the pocket is approx 20" wide and the same deep it runs from the bottom of the jacket to where the material meets the shoulder section. Hope that helps. I got mine from swillington shooting supplies I believe that they do mail order.

I have a eider jacket. Have had it couple of years now. They reli are good jackets. The large ( game) pocket has two entry points, one at each side with zips. The pocket runs across the full back of the jacket. Mine is a size medium and I would say that the pocket is approx 20" wide and the same deep it runs from the bottom of the jacket to where the material meets the shoulder section. Hope that helps. I got mine from swillington shooting supplies I believe that they do mail order.

Thanks for that, sounds like what I am looking for.

Is the duck blind pattern Only available in the USA?