Public Footpaths

Anthony

IMO

I feel you would be ok to do this solong as you kept an eye on the folks walking up the path and stopped shooting. Be aware that folks riding horse may also use the path , if they make a complant about your loud banging point out to them that they might like to take note of the fact that the "path" they are on is a footpath... rum lot them horse riders....

all the best yis yp :D:D

Anthony,

The law (Highways Act) states that "It is an offence ....to shoot within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if in consequence someone on the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered".

I have heard of a number of cases where the law abiding, gunman fearing, countryside loving public have phoned the local plods when seeing a "gunman" on the prowl near a road or footpath, whereupon the police send out an armed response unit, and / or helicopter to investigate the situation.

Rest assured that if you can't hear the police shouting at you to put down the gun above the din of the chopper circling overhead, you stand a more than even chance of being riddled by a burst from a H&K sub machine gun.

My advice is to stay a reasonable distance away from footpaths that are used regularly by walkers, as not only will most of them not understand what you are up to, but they always seem to appear just when a big flock of woodies is heading for the deeks, and they end up spooking them away...!!!

Very sound advice from Double H.

Public right of ways are to be avoided like the plague.

I know of two instances where shooters have lost their shooting, when the Police advised the Farmer that there had been complaints from the public, that they were too close to the footpath.

The Farmer didn,t want the aggravation from the "locals".

Pace out your 50ft, it is not very far.

It pays to just use common sense.

Looks like I will have to set up in the ditch lets hope that there is little rain. I believe your right regarding the footpath, a couple of months ago there were horses on it, and I was shooting miles from the path, yet these people on their horses stopped and watched us. I find it really anoying when people are suspicious, like when you partk at the gates to check the flighpaths.

Do you have any tips for shooting on a slight slope so you are looking into a bank, over the top the field extends for another 70 acres, I cannot see whats coming ahead for obvious reasons, but I was wnadering if anyone has any tactics for catching their sight on the brow of the hill, a floater perhaps?!?!?!

Anthony, I,m trying to imagine the shooting location you are describing.

How far from your hide is it flat , before the slope starts ?

If its more than 50-60 yards ,I wouldn,t worry too much.

However, much less than that and I would be looking for another location.

Its difficult to comment without knowing the area.

Guest flightline

It is wise advice to excercise care when shooting near footpaths. But the 50 foot exclusion applies only to highways where there are rights of way for vehicles. Footpaths as such are not in scope. The relevant statute is the 1980 Highways Act. There is a useful site which gives a resume of the law relating to shooting in the form of Home Office guidance to Police:

www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs/policeguide.pdf

Guest flightline
Anthony,

The law (Highways Act) states that "It is an offence ....to shoot within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if in consequence someone on the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered".

I have heard of a number of cases where the law abiding, gunman fearing, countryside loving public have phoned the local plods when seeing a "gunman" on the prowl near a road or footpath, whereupon the police send out an armed response unit, and / or helicopter to investigate the situation.

Rest assured that if you can't hear the police shouting at you to put down the gun above the din of the chopper circling overhead, you stand a more than even chance of being riddled by a burst from a H&K sub machine gun.

My advice is to stay a reasonable distance away from footpaths that are used regularly by walkers, as not only will most of them not understand what you are up to, but they always seem to appear just when a big flock of woodies is heading for the deeks, and they end up spooking them away...!!!

We`ve all heard of these cases where the Armed Response Unit turns out. But often the Police know full well that the shooting is legitimate and treat it as a training excercise. That said, I imagine it can be a frightening experience, but I think it`s alarmist to suggest legitimate shooters could run a more than even chance of being "riddled" with machine gun fire.

Flightline is quite right - clever old s*d :lol: The law allows you to shoot so long as you do not cause 'unnecessary nuicance or disturbance to residents or the public at large through your actions of discharging your shotgun'. Common sense should get you by without too much problem. Make sure you can see the people approaching and stop til they pass. Might give you an opportunity to promote yourself as a responsible gun and deliver a needy kick in the head to the antis - who claim we are all gun crazed phsycopaths!!

PP :lol:

I agree that flightline is quite correct in the "50ft rule" interpretation.

The main problem comes in deciding what is, "unecessary noise and disturbance".

Ultimately, I assume a Court decides.

The Police advised me many years ago that if the shooter is 50ft ,or more, from the public right of way, there can be no argument.

As I posted earlier.."Pace out your 50ft, it is not very far.

It pays to just use common sense. "

Guest charlie

Antony,

The farmer of the land I shoot over (1000 acres) has asked me to set up hides to interfere with walkers/ramblers.

Now I know the law pertaining to public footpaths and I have to exercise common sense when walkers approach, however I have to do this at least once a week to keep him happy.

So far most walkers are ok as I am very aware of their approach, but I am sure that i will get the w****r that will phone the rozzers and, well i am ready to put hands up if collared by A.R.U.

All this because a farmer doesn't like walkers!

Use your commom sense Antony a keep away from highways.

Antony,

The farmer of the land I shoot over (1000 acres) has asked me to set up hides to interfere with walkers/ramblers.

Now I know the law pertaining to public footpaths and I have to exercise common sense when walkers approach, however I have to do this at least once a week to keep him happy.

So far most walkers are ok as I am very aware of their approach, but I am sure that i will get the w****r that will phone the rozzers and, well i am ready to put hands up if collared by A.R.U.

All this because a farmer doesn't like walkers!

Use your commom sense Antony a keep away from highways.

No amount of shooting is worth threatening the sport which we all know and love I'm disappointed people would be so reckless :lol:

Under this, you may shoot nearer than 50 feet from the centre of a highway provided that it is safe to do so.

This essentially means that you must have good visibility all round and can see a good distance to ensure that nobody is approaching, hence if your hide is in such a position that you have a good view of the footpath in either direction and are shooting away from it, this is acceptable.

Having read this debate i think what needs to be defined is the definition of highway because it seems some of you have a differant idea's of what it means. I dont know the legal definition but i think that it aught to defined so that you are all talking about the same thing.

Flightline's comments may well be legally correct, and perhaps I stand corrected, however, having shot pigeons for the last 30 years, I can assure you that shooting on or adjacent to public footpaths is bad news.

Don't forget that every walker / rambler now has a mobile phone in his pocket, and the bill are now so much easier for every frightened individual to summon, so do not assume that they will understand what is going on.

Common sense dictates that every sensible pigeon shooter will stay well away from public footpaths.

Guest flightline
Flightline's comments may well be legally correct, and perhaps I stand corrected, however, having shot pigeons for the last 30 years, I can assure you that shooting on or adjacent to public footpaths is bad news.

Don't forget that every walker / rambler now has a mobile phone in his pocket, and the bill are now so much easier for every frightened individual to summon, so do not assume that they will understand what is going on.

Common sense dictates that every sensible pigeon shooter will stay well away from public footpaths.

It partly depends on how frequently the path is used and what sort of view you have of the users. I never shoot when I can see anyone using a path, even though I shoot away from it. And there`s no point shooting anywhere near a well used one as it`s asking for interference with the shooting plus pigeons will make themselves scarce. But there are so many footpaths that if we were to steer well clear from all if them then our shooting would be even more restricted than it is now.

Guest flightline

I shoot in Beds and Northants which is a good shlepp for me. There are a hell of a lot of footpaths almost everywhere but not all are well used, especially on weekdays. I think a real threat to shooting is increased rural and semi rural development which will bring greater use of footpaths and thus inevitably more complaints. I`ve had to give good fields a miss as it`s been like Blackpool some weekends. I try to find places with no footpaths at all but it`s not easy.

Flightline,

Most of my shooting is in Herts and South Beds, where the pressures on the Countryside are just as great.

So many people now think that they have a right to do whatever they want in the Countryside, but for the benefit of newcomers to this site, I say again, AVOID SHOOTING ANYWHERE NEAR FOOTPATHS THAT ARE REGULARLY USED BY WALKERS.

The sight of wounded woodies flapping around on their backs on the ground in front of a bunch of ramblers is very bad publicity for our sport, so stay well away from them...!!!

There are some army tank training ranges near here. There are road signs that say 'Beware of sudden gunfire'.

Perhaps a temporary sign with similar wording at each end of the footpath might help.

A phone call the the local police collator, telling them where you will be shooting, will aviod a lot of problems and get them on your side. This should 'always' be done for night shooting.

A sign saying that fox snaring takes place on the land, might get more dogs kept under control.

A sign asking the public not to kill the adders, as they are a protected species, might also have the desired consequences.