Rough Shooting

borich

Had my first experience in pigeon shooting with a friend on Saturday and loved it. Birds were coming into the pattern and a steady flow of them. I took my AYA Yeoman which I use for clays and it got me thinking. Would it be worth getting cheap SXS for pigeon shooting and if so do they have any advantage over my o/u.

Borich

For anything where I'm walking a lot, I prefer my 26" barrelled SBS. Its light and comes to the shoulder like greased lightening. You should be able to find a cheap non-ejector as having an ejector is no juge advantage rough shooting.

For pigoen (hide) shooting, I prefer a fixed barrel gun. I have used a browning gold SA up to now, but it sprays emties everywhere, which are a ball ache to find. For this reason I've just picked up a Browning pump very cheaply, which will throw shells down to my feet.

i'm down in Cornwall next week and just came across this..

http://www.guntrader...120421144243002

If it's in good mechanical nick, I know someone who could make that really presentable. You could drop it in for him to have a shufti on the way back up.

Note though, unless the stock is very short and throwing one's eye, the barrel looks a bit long for a hide. Also, for the hide, with the splinter fore end you'll keep your hand warm in the winter!

On the other hand for a nice walking around..............