Dog bed suggestion

955i

Meant to post this a while ago but forgot.

We all know the scenario, dog goes out and gets wet, comes back and lies on bed, has a bone maybe and one day you are sat there going 'What is that vile smell'

Yup, its tracked to the dog bed, bed is binned, new one brought, cycle starts again.

I have had this with a fabric bed (lasted around 2 months before binning it), one of the waterproof beds (lasted three months), but I now think I have cracked the problem :good:

Was looking on the Bay and came across a 4' x 3' gymnastic crash mat like we used to have at school.

Thought I'd give it a try and its fantastic!!

PVC covered so you can wipe it with kitchen towel and disinfectant, no hair sticks to it and at 2" thick it is good enough insulation from the floor for over the winter.

They aren't cheap (cost around £30) but have had it for 6 months now and still fresh as a daisy :D

mine has a bed that fits in the washing machine then the problem goes away! if you have a look at the synthetic fleecy type mats these tend to wash easily

Problem is when she sheds you get about another 3 dogs worth off her and it doesn't take long to clog the washer as her undercoat is so fine so this seemed the ideal solution

Re. Tuffies. These are pretty pricey and the ones I bought lasted barely a year. Not chewed or abused, just worn out, no longer waterproof, no longer washable and very stinky. Very disappointed. Gone back to hard plastic "bowl" beds with vet fleece pads. All easily washable and cheap as you like, especially if you buy the fleece in a big roll direct from Bronte Glen (highly recommend these people). Don't se why these shouldn't last pretty much indefinately. All 9 of my dogs (mixture of working and "pets") seem happy enough with this arrangement.

I tried beds but mine decided to pull them out of their kennels and rip them up. Never got to the smelly stage with bedding

My old boy sleeps on vetbed during the winter but their kennels just have a second plywood box that is raised off the floor of the kennel box to reduce the cold strike.

Re. Tuffies. These are pretty pricey and the ones I bought lasted barely a year. Not chewed or abused, just worn out, no longer waterproof, no longer washable and very stinky. Very disappointed. Gone back to hard plastic "bowl" beds with vet fleece pads. All easily washable and cheap as you like, especially if you buy the fleece in a big roll direct from Bronte Glen (highly recommend these people). Don't se why these shouldn't last pretty much indefinately. All 9 of my dogs (mixture of working and "pets") seem happy enough with this arrangement.

They should be had under the trade descriptions act mine didn't last very long at all and found them far from tough, gone to blankets in there beds and change them regularly and all is good with them......