First New Pup....Oo Eck

ben0850

Right people...

I've never had a dog of my own from a pup. My current dog Raggy was my father in laws dog until about four years ago when he got a new black lab.

Rag is a springer and nearing nine years old...

188eb4b5.jpg

I've been talking for ages and deliberating about getting a pup but didn't want to take one on whilst Rag was still around.

The mrs has decided that I should have a new pup (black lab) and is currently sorting it all out with her dad (good blood line, working parents, KC ETC). She reckoned I would have fannyed around forever lol.

So... PW faithful....HELLLLLLP..... If I'm honest I'm somewhat scared of having a new pup, I'm anxious to do right by it and not cock it up!!

Can you recommend any books? I want to prove to my father in law I can bring on a good dog and also I'm bored of leaving the hide to not only pick my own birds but find Rag Bag!!!

Get P.R.A Moxon books Training the rough shooters dog and or gundogs training and field trials. then get a mentor who realy knows what they are on about, booking some sesions with a pro who knows what they are onto gives more than the day generally you need someone to phone when you think the weels have fallen off.

Dont lock the thing up in a crate to make life easier for you, it makes them manic and you want them to like thier little hideout not loath it. Dont train to young all will generally be undone, take it slow its better to spend another year to get one going than to have a bad one for life. Stick to what you want from the off and train for it, do not compromise and do not switch- it only leads to confusion

Just to clarify, before there is any mis-interpretation of my earlier post.

I use the crate for the pup to sleep in at night. He has subsequently never soiled or wet in the crate hence meaning no **** for me or the mrs to clean up on a morning, HENCE MAKING LIFE EASIER. When he has to be left for a short period he is told quietly 'in yer bed' which he goes in willingly before curling up and going to sleep, whilst i have to nip out for a short period up to a couple of hours. He is not manic following this. Believe it or not he even goes in there of his own free will. Compared to the last pup which had the run of the kitchen the crate has prevented chewed chair legs, scratched doors etc. Not having to reprimand him for any of the above has made life EASIER not only for me but also for him.

Cheers Gents, appreciate your input.

I've ordered the book you recommended Kent so hopefully that will get me off to a good start.

The Mrs sneaked off this morning to see our local Grouse Keeper and came back with the news that my first black lab pup is coming home next Sunday! The pup is a dog and so I'm now looking at names (which gets complicated on our farm with the sheepdogs, the usual suspect names are already taken).

I'm very lucky in that my father in law has trained dogs for years (both sheep and gun) but I'm going to speak with a close neighbour who works during the season picking up for the Estate. He has trained dogs for donkeys years and normally works four to six dogs on a shoot day so hopefully he will be a good reference point and helping hand!!

Got a black lab pup myself, coming up 6 months old now, she is coming on leaps and bounds with obediance training, will start on the field work and break her in slowly, she has still got the pup side to her nature, still wrags the spaniel all over the place, its a toss up as to which one is the pup, saying he is 7yr old lol

Cheers Gents, appreciate your input.

I've ordered the book you recommended Kent so hopefully that will get me off to a good start.

The Mrs sneaked off this morning to see our local Grouse Keeper and came back with the news that my first black lab pup is coming home next Sunday! The pup is a dog and so I'm now looking at names (which gets complicated on our farm with the sheepdogs, the usual suspect names are already taken).

I'm very lucky in that my father in law has trained dogs for years (both sheep and gun) but I'm going to speak with a close neighbour who works during the season picking up for the Estate. He has trained dogs for donkeys years and normally works four to six dogs on a shoot day so hopefully he will be a good reference point and helping hand!!

sounds good, hopefully hips, elbows and eyes have been done on parents. i get a lot of non gundog prejudiced advice from a mate who trains and breeds sheepdogs. we can sometimes live in a bubble of our own making

sounds good, hopefully hips, elbows and eyes have been done on parents. i get a lot of non gundog prejudiced advice from a mate who trains and breeds sheepdogs. we can sometimes live in a bubble of our own making

As you say Never ever get a dog without full health checks KC reg etc you are IMO looking for trouble no matter if joe bloggs says he has never had any problems before its just not worth it, paying that little extra for a pup can save you £1000's in the future and possibly the dog in the future as well.....

Ok....don't suppose you would like to expand and explain? I'm open to input from all different angles?

I believe under the control of dogs order 1992 it's illegal to take your dog out in public without a collar and tag apart from if its working so if your just taking him down the park etc etc keep it on him, if working obviously loose the collar......

Had a dog hang himself with a collar on in the back yard when i was a kid , not nice :no:

its not a rare occurrence I know two different people its happened to, a chip is so much easier and better as a way of making sure it comes back if it were to get lost.