annoyed with myself.

lister1

I went out on kirton this morn. I decided to take my young bitch out for her first session on the marsh.

I woke up a 3am, got sorted and got the dog in yhe car.

It was cold about -1, there was ice on top of the dog run.

The wind was blowing a gale at the house and i was getting a tad excited.

Got to the marsh and the tide was peaking so its was going to be a bit of a treck because the creek I wanted to cross was full.

The moon was shining and as I got near to position I could hear geese flying in the moon light.

Me and the dog got in position and waited. The mood disappeared and the the stars were shining but all was quite.

Just as the sun light began to show a dull blue on the horizon, my dogs ears pricked up and she got excited, I could here the geese behind us coming from up wind but she was facing the down wind, all of a sudden 3 pinks came from darkness and were only 40 outs but very low. Ban bang miss miss. Typical just the same as last week when that pintail came over.

A bit angry with myself I decided it was time for a tea as its was getting cold.

I sat huddled with the dog sipping my tea as the hale and sleet pelted the back of my head. I put my cup down to put some gloves on and the dog finished tea for me.

The worst of the wether cleared and the dog had a nap on my decoy bag.

The sun was bright now and the flight was clearly over.

But as I got up a sneaky teal sprung out of the flash, bang miss.

Then a pair of mallard go over bang bang miss miss.

That's it, I thought, I'm going home.

Anyway. It's was good to take the dog out and let get used to the sights and sounds of the marsh.

To be fair I would rather miss a bird at the marsh than be at work.

So tomorrow I'm going to go pigeon shooting, I've been doing most of my shooting with my sxs, so I think a few hours on the pigeons with my o/u should get my eye back in.

Cheers

James.

I went out on kirton this morn. I decided to take my young bitch out for her first session on the marsh.

I woke up a 3am, got sorted and got the dog in yhe car.

It was cold about -1, there was ice on top of the dog run.

The wind was blowing a gale at the house and i was getting a tad excited.

Got to the marsh and the tide was peaking so its was going to be a bit of a treck because the creek I wanted to cross was full.

The moon was shining and as I got near to position I could hear geese flying in the moon light.

Me and the dog got in position and waited. The mood disappeared and the the stars were shining but all was quite.

Just as the sun light began to show a dull blue on the horizon, my dogs ears pricked up and she got excited, I could here the geese behind us coming from up wind but she was facing the down wind, all of a sudden 3 pinks came from darkness and were only 40 outs but very low. Ban bang miss miss. Typical just the same as last week when that pintail came over.

A bit angry with myself I decided it was time for a tea as its was getting cold.

I sat huddled with the dog sipping my tea as the hale and sleet pelted the back of my head. I put my cup down to put some gloves on and the dog finished tea for me.

The worst of the wether cleared and the dog had a nap on my decoy bag.

The sun was bright now and the flight was clearly over.

But as I got up a sneaky teal sprung out of the flash, bang miss.

Then a pair of mallard go over bang bang miss miss.

That's it, I thought, I'm going home.

Anyway. It's was good to take the dog out and let get used to the sights and sounds of the marsh.

To be fair I would rather miss a bird at the marsh than be at work.

So tomorrow I'm going to go pigeon shooting, I've been doing most of my shooting with my sxs, so I think a few hours on the pigeons with my o/u should get my eye back in.

Cheers

James.

Looks like she done well then :good:

quote name='lister1' timestamp='1351365869' post='1944117

all of a sudden 3 pinks came from darkness and were only 40 outs but very low. Ban bang miss miss. Typical just the same as last week when that pintail came over.

sounds like the first miss was a miss-fire mate and not your fault :lol: but I know that feelin of lettin the dog down and not gettin him a retrieve, better luck at the pigeons

It happens to all of us mate, just keep plugging away and it will all come good in the end. I shoot better with my o/u than my auto but the o/u is to nice to ruin on the marsh, so from the start of August all shooting other than driven is done with the auto.

I find this helps my fowling no end and it helps me gain confidence in my shooting with the auto, so far this year i am on 18 shots for 13 birds out on the marsh, can't complain about that!

It happens to up all ,but it seems to happen to me more than others lol,it will happen for you. I have had a bad patch this week but intend to make up for over the next week.

Where you in the same spot i took you to last week? If so it looks like you took notice what i said last week well done ,you should of said Friday when you text me that you were coming we could have gone to the cafe after flight .lol all on you of course .ha ha .

Sometimes you have a good run and your shot ratio goes up sometimes it takes a dive. I recomend you practice with the gun you use though not another to give you confidence. (beware of the guy with but one gun he probebly knows how to use it). having your mind on a new dog dont do much for your mental focus

Sounds just like how my flights usually turn out like. I always seem to be missing! so far this year ive had 6 birds for 34 shots! not a very good average. I was questioning my ability and went to my gun club and did some clays, i got 21/25 and 20/25 on both my rounds and that was from a sitting position and with my jacket on. so i just put it down to the actual conditions and factors out on the marsh. It is the hardest form of shotgun sports afterall. I always remember a guy telling me when i started, when you swing on to the bird, think - bum belly beak bang and keep swinging. I suppose this is good advice, but take into account a 20-30mph wind which does have an effect on the shot and if you are all cramped up and cold, then you will have misses unfortunatly.

Anyone who can average 3 shots to every bird is doing very well in wildfowling. Cold stiff muscles , legs stuck in the mud , a heavy gun and heavy clothing all make good shooting much harder than when shooting game. I can remember one cold snowy day back in the 70s when I had 45 shots for just 5 duck. And to be honest two of them fell from the back of a flock well behind the ones I aimed at. But given time and experiance it all comes togeather and you will start to hit the birds.

I often find i start the season shooting quite well and then 4-6 weeks into it I hit a bad patch , but usually shoot myself out of it within a couple of weeks and do not have too many problems for the remainder of the season.

It happens to up all ,but it seems to happen to me more than others lol,it will happen for you. I have had a bad patch this week but intend to make up for over the next week.

Where you in the same spot i took you to last week? If so it looks like you took notice what i said last week well done ,you should of said Friday when you text me that you were coming we could have gone to the cafe after flight .lol all on you of course .ha ha .

I was where we went but closer to the bank. The tide was in and I wasn't sure of the creeks.

I'm off work this week, perhaps a flight and breakfast at some point before Friday?

I'll hit some thing one day.

I recently had an extremely poor flight recently as far as my shooting was concerned. If anyone has seen Muncher's 'Evening pinkfoot flight' in the video section, you may hear a few other shots. I was 150 yards to his right. I must have had as many shots as him, but while he came off with 5 pinks i could only manage to plane a bird out behind me (which i didn't find). I walked back along the sea wall after the flight feeling totally gutted.

Anyone who can average 3 shots to every bird is doing very well in wildfowling. Cold stiff muscles , legs stuck in the mud , a heavy gun and heavy clothing all make good shooting much harder than when shooting game. I can remember one cold snowy day back in the 70s when I had 45 shots for just 5 duck. And to be honest two of them fell from the back of a flock well behind the ones I aimed at. But given time and experiance it all comes togeather and you will start to hit the birds.

I often find i start the season shooting quite well and then 4-6 weeks into it I hit a bad patch , but usually shoot myself out of it within a couple of weeks and do not have too many problems for the remainder of the season.

on DWWMC we must count our shots and can only take 25 shells out, we must also fill in warden reports recording the number of shots we hear. On our returns we fill in birds killed and shots fired. 1-3 is i think were its at as a club, it stops silly shots being taken when you only have 25 and your likely to look a **** on your returns. Thats not to say the members dont have bad periods i remember once thinking i am gonna run out of shells before i drop one of these darn Widgeon! then it came good towards the end of my belt and finally made about 1-3 via a flukey and accidental bunch of teal with one shell.

I dont think the Dee lads are better shots just they do tend to think twice before having a pop at difficult birds, due to the return info and the fact that we aint gonna get the 40 shots anser mentions.

I shoot at another wildfowling club and they have a no high shooting rule, its a little harder to say if a bird was 35 or 55 yds from the firer when your 150 yds away but quite easy to say mr xyz fired 20 shells without dropping anything at all on a report

Well I missed three pinks in a row on the marsh Friday but could have thrown my gun and hit them they were that low and had more success they were shifting though in that wind well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol

its a good one geese i much preffer to shoot at 35 yds than 20 yds missed 3 or 4 on the trot the other week 15-20 yds

I think some of the hardest shots I ever had at geese came one morning with a 40 mph south gale and driving rain with pinks heading into it over the sand dunes at about 30 yards up. The geese were moving so slowly that they saw you the moment you moved to take the shot. They flared at the sight of you and slid off sideways down wind , being out of range in a couple of seconds. Just where do you shoot at a flaring goose flying sideways while the wind pushes it backwards ?

Edited by anser2

I think some of the hardest shots I ever had at geese came one morning with a 40 mph south gale and driving rain with pinks heading into it over the sand dunes at about 30 yards up. The geese were moving so slowly that they saw you the moment you moved to take the shot. They flared at the sight of you and slid off sideways down wind , being out of range in a couple of seconds. Just where do you shoot at a flaring goose flying sideways while the wind pushes it backwards ?

were its going, but its darn hard init!