Kids starter gun

mag-man

Hiya guys,

Need some advise from some other fathers

My kids are 7 and 5, now wanted to start em shooting with a shotty, but any advice on where to start.

I was keen on a 410, but the coach at Purbeck, advised me against saying to start off with a 28g (he says kids can start from 4), now I also saw a cheap kids auto in 20g, but would prefer an over and under.

Any advice,

Am also looking for around £500

Nothing wrong with a 410 for a kid.

My 10 year old son has a 410 and the way i and the gun club owner see's it is IF my lad can consistantly hit clays with a 410 then when he moves up to a 20g or 28g his shot pattern will be wider and thus his shot to kill ratio SHOULD improve if it hasn't already got the a full 25 for 25 stage with the 410.

Besides 410s are GREAT fun on the clay grounds and i think EVERYONE should have one in their cabinet.

Try a 410 for skeet :good:

LG

hehe the .410! :good:

I beat my brother at a round of clays using my little single barrel .410 VS my 12bore

Though effective at clays (if you take them quickly), I would not suggest it for rabbits, due to a few sad endings I had whilst attempting to us it even at close range. After I had 3 runners (two caught) I decided enough was enough, even at 15 meters range, with a full on hit using 6's/5's.

By all means good as a starter gun to introduce safety and basic priciples of clay shooting, but for anything else, 28/20 bore min in my veiw. .410 just does not have the umph to kill anything bigger then a rat.

Hope they turn into keen shooters someday!

There is nothing much between the .410 and the 28g in weight, power etc., except, the .410 will be easier to sell later on and the cartridges are more obtainable (at a reasonable price).

My choice would be an o/u .410 , perhaps a S/H Lincoln, or a new Investarm (not the folding model).

Edit Note: 3" .410 cartridge load is about 16 gms, the biggest 28g load is 19 gms (I think), so not much in it.

The 20g is a heavier gun and the loads are between 24 and 28gms, significantly more for a young chap to handle.

I beat my brother at a round of clays using my little single barrel .410 VS my 12bore

Though effective at clays (if you take them quickly), I would not suggest it for rabbits, due to a few sad endings I had whilst attempting to us it even at close range. After I had 3 runners (two caught) I decided enough was enough, even at 15 meters range, with a full on hit using 6's/5's.

By all means good as a starter gun to introduce safety and basic priciples of clay shooting, but for anything else, 28/20 bore min in my veiw. .410 just does not have the umph to kill anything bigger then a rat.

Not meaning to be picky but i beg to differ!

A 410 has AMPLE power if using the 3" No 5-6 carts to take a rabbit MORE than comfortably at up to 30 yards.

The 410 is VASTLY under rated in my opinion it is light weight it is relativley quiet compared to a 12g.

There ARE people who use solid slugs in the 410 to take foxes also.

Personally i love the things.

LG

A 410 has AMPLE power if using the 3" No 5-6 carts to take a rabbit MORE than comfortably at up to 30 yards.

The 410 is VASTLY under rated in my opinion it is light weight it is relativley quiet compared to a 12g.

LG

I would agree with you there LG, ive been hunting from about 7 years old, I am now 20 but from 7 and 8 I was shooting with a cap gun (I honestly thought it was real) taught me well though, I would creep around, try and get closer and shoot. (everytime I thought I missed though) quite funny really. then I was shoting with an air rifle and moved on to the 4.10 aged 9.

my air rifle would take down a rabbit no probs so the 4.10 deffinately did. I had no problems in that department at all.

My opinion is it doesnt matter what gun you have in your hands if you cant shoot, you cant shoot. the gun does the shoting but the person aims and fires. so personally I think either gun would do.

LG

I would agree with you there LG, ive been hunting from about 7 years old, I am now 20 but from 7 and 8 I was shooting with a cap gun (I honestly thought it was real) taught me well though, I would creep around, try and get closer and shoot. (everytime I thought I missed though) quite funny really. then I was shoting with an air rifle and moved on to the 4.10 aged 9.

my air rifle would take down a rabbit no probs so the 4.10 deffinately did. I had no problems in that department at all.

My opinion is it doesnt matter what gun you have in your hands if you cant shoot, you cant shoot. the gun does the shoting but the person aims and fires. so personally I think either gun would do.

You dont aim a shotgun :/;)

LG

i aggree my first gun was a 4/10 and i found it the perfect tools for shooting rabbits it's nice small quite easily transported and has a varied kill lists which the 4/10 is fully capible of killing cleanly and effectivley

i was last week shooting my white doves due to they came down with aload of ticks and were slowly falling ill so we decided to kill them all of and start again the 4/10 was very effective and took out every bird i aimed at perfectly so i suggest a 4/10 most deffinatly your kids will learn a great deal from a lovely 4/10.

cheers luke

If you lived closer, you would be welcome to my .410, its never used much..

To your qeustion above, if your lad is big and able enough you may even consider going straight for a 20bore. Autos like the Beretta Teknys are more or less the same weight as a double barrel .410, and due to an automatic firing system, will greatly reduce recoil of even heavy 20bore loads. The Beretta will also fit into your (second hand) price range.

I started shooting when I was 8 with a .22 I didn't use a shotgun untill I was 10 (12ga) but I started using a .410 when I was 12 and I wish that I had have started with that.

I would recomend the .410 as their great little guns with no recoil so your kids shouldn't develop a flinch, but a 28ga with light loads might be anothe fine option also, but I still say go the "mighty" .410 :good:

start them on an air rifle

fetch them into the sport to early and they might not enjoy it .

how many youngster,s will admit the kicks a bit much .

my daughter,s 12 now shoot,s airgun fine .

shot the 12g this year fine .

looking around for a 20g now but the lad is nine and yet to fire a shotgun ,

give the lad an empty 20g to mount and see if he can mount it comfortably.

just think when out in the field and you had a snap shot and got the mount slightly wrong did you feel it .

maybe not but at the age of 8 you will , but you would not admit it pride can be a funny thing .

are the kid,s asking to do this or is it you trying to fetch them into the sport

the airgun will teach them respect so when they do move on they will be safe :good:

my lad started with a .410 when he was 8. he is a stocky lad and quites strong, after a few shhots he found it was actually too light for him. kept moving the gun too fast etc....

stuck him on one of the schools 20s and he was fine with it, the weight was fine for him and less kick

bought him a cynergy for christmas and he loves it, on his first outing he shot 21/25. not bad considering it was -3 deg !!