Shotgun went off when closing

jimbo86

I was shooting yesterday, when the guy on the peg next to me had both barrels go off when closing the gun. Into the ground luckily and to be fair, at least he was reloading safely. See a lot of people reloading by lifting the barrels up, and probably guilty of it myself. I saw the gun shoot backwards out of his hands onto the floor...gave us all quite a shock.

My question is: what would cause this to happen? no expect on this sort of thing and it has stuck in my mind so would appreciate if anyone can clear it up. Is it most likely the firing pins not retracting when uncocking the gun?

dont know if same on all guns, but I had a pedretti with the opening catch on top back, you had to push it from 6 oclock position to 3 oclock to open and cock the gun, but you could also just open the gun by pushing to 5 oclock, meaning firing pins still forward, and of course if loaded with new carts and closed it would fire itself

Westley Richards 12 bore. It has the drop locks on it as i saw him take them out. Lovely gun, only 2nd time he'd used it i think.

Not sure about finger on the trigger, as both barrels went off at the same time and side by side with back trigger and auto-safety catch. And surely it would have damaged his finger if it was on the trigger. Reckon it would have broke it judging from how the gun flew backwards. It did cut rather a large hole in his left hand, could see the bone. Think that the fore end sliced it as the gun went out his hands

seen this a few times with many different makes of gun,some i think were just careless and touched the trigger,however all answered the same when asked how long since gun serviced, never had service,with something as potentially as dangerous as a shotgun you should have this done regular.

This can happen if the gun is closed with the locks not cocked (as both firing pins will be forward with non-rebounding locks). It is a known hazard when shooting an early hammer gun with non-rebounding locks (later guns were nearly all of the rebounding type).

It may be possible to re-install drop locks such that they don't cock correctly (I don't know the Westley Richards well, but it is a highly regarded gun) - the load the gun and close it with un-cocked locks. Perhaps someone else who has a W-R drop lock gun could advise if this is a possibility?

I had this happen to me nearly blew me foot off! First time I was rough shooting loaded and closed me barrels bang about four inches from me foot to say I.was shocked was a understatement. Put it down to user error. Moved on safer and wiser.

4 or 5 weeks later same again but well out into the ground in front. This time I new I hadn't touched the trigger and should of trusted my instincts the first time. Straight to gunsmith.. Sears fine so went through the motions of how I was loading the gun with snap caps. Auto safety was sometimes only pushing a qtr back the gun was cocking and when slammed shut bang. Don't no the mechanics of it but auto safety was removed and my technique tightened up and not had a problem since.

Gun is still in service and has accounted for many Target now. Laurona 12g double single trigger

Karpman

Thanks for your replies everyone, some very interesting reading and if i can i'll pass on the info. I was a guest of the farmer and it's unlikely i will speak to the guy again. Safe to say he'll be back to the gunsmith who sold it to him as he said he bought it recently. Problem with old guns i suppose.

Irony of it all, he was an army doctor, now a surgeon.

Last year on the same shoot, i saw the puff of dust from a shot about 5 yards in front of the beating line, followed by lots and lots of swearing. Finger slipped on a hammer gun was the excuse...i didn't point out that he should not be swinging throught the beating line, but only because he had 10 beaters shouting at him already.

Not the same guy btw

Edited by jimbo86

I`ve known this to happen a few times,it justifies using the correct,safe loading method which I see ignored

too often,especially amongst the clay shooting fraternity .

New shooters MUST learn the correct technique,it really could be a life saver !

Indeed. A similar problem with autos can be letting the action close uncontrollably - I've seen a couple of incidents where the shooter has just pressed the release button, the action has slammed shut and fired.

Indeed. A similar problem with autos can be letting the action close uncontrollably - I've seen a couple of incidents where the shooter has just pressed the release button, the action has slammed shut and fired.

Yes,barrels must be pointing at the ground !

Too many people lift the barrels to close their gun.

Westley Richards drop locks can be prone to double discharging too.

The best method of closing a gun is to trap the stock between your hip and forearm, one hand firmly around the grip and the forehand pushing the forend to the barrels with the muzzles pointing at the ground but well forward of your feet.

If the gun discharges for any reason this method gives a firm hold anf keeps it pointing in a safe direction.

Lifting the stock to the barrels is often seen as the answer, however if this also has the muzzles pointing towards your toes and not having a proper hold then it is not safe.

One of my pet hates, which I see daily is people slamming guns shut with great force (especially if they have not bought it yet). Why? Asking for damage and increasing the risk of an accidental discharge.