Need a small 4x4?

wildfowler.250

Thanks for the offer but Im north of scotland and thats more than I'd be looking to spend tbh. Cheers anyway! :good:

PS dont know if I asked but what are the suzuki vitara's like?

Cheers!

My mate has had a couple of Vitaras (old style) and he rips the ***** out of it... I really haven't seen anybody treat a 4x4 the way he does :D Does he break bits? Occasionally, but they seem pretty easy to work on (not that i'd know)

Another mate has a newer Grand Vitara, and he's happy with his, but he doesn't lash it in quite the same way.

Iv been thinking about a Suzuki sj or vitara for a while, you can get them dirt cheap and there's loads of bolt on bits and pieces you can get for them really cheap too. BUT iv been told there quite bouncy with standed suspension,but for the price they've got to be worth a shot, for a bit of lamping etc.... ?

i have a mitsubishi pajero mk1 for sale but it needs abit of work on it for mot it has ironman 2" suspension lift kit and 1.5" body lift winch bumper stainless steel exhaust... had 33" mud tyres on but took them off to put on my other truck the only bad thing is that it fires first go but smokes and miss fires, so that is either just heater plugs or could be fuel pump! if your intrested can send some picts of it.

i had a vitara 1.6 16v with 31" mud tyres and a 2" lift was a good little off roader but the only thin with them they havent got a solid axle on front so don have alot of down travel! the jimny are a great off roader they have solid axle on front, we modified one last week with 31" mud tyres 3" lift and up rated arms and that the owner uses it every day on the roads and beats it off road at weekends!

Thanks for the info guys :good: I also asked about the vitara on the SD and got very good feedback about it. My only thought is the RAV will be better on the roads.

The question is how well will the RAV handle snow/ice tracks. Really I just need it for stupid o'clock in the morning when the roads haven't been cleared and need to get down farm tracks to get to parking for wildfowling. Surely with the correct tyres it would be up to it?

Rav would be fine for what you need just make sure it's 4x4 some imports weren't and decent tyres will do fine never got ours stuck on soft sand and some bigger motors did often as they didn't engage 4x4 until they had bogged down

Off road tyres aren't as good on road, noise, fuel, handling etc some M+S tyres and a proper winter set if it goes cold where you are never that cold where we were so didn't bother. You can't trick up the rav like jimny or vitara but IMO it doesn't need it! In 5 years ours had a cambelt, age related standard service each year and a new cat to get through mot. Was perfect till a numpty rear ended it and bent the shell! Insurance paid out £1200 we paid £3k 5 years before

Thanks for the info guys :good: I also asked about the vitara on the SD and got very good feedback about it. My only thought is the RAV will be better on the roads.

The question is how well will the RAV handle snow/ice tracks. Really I just need it for stupid o'clock in the morning when the roads haven't been cleared and need to get down farm tracks to get to parking for wildfowling. Surely with the correct tyres it would be up to it?

We live down a single track, almost farm standard, road. Over the last two winters, the only time my daughter's RAV couldn't get out was when the central mound of snow between the tractor tyre ruts was so high that it would have ripped the front/rear valance off, even the local Range Rovers didn't want to tackle that, the only 4X4 that did was a HiLux, until the farmer got a shovel blade on the front of his tractor and shaved the top off. Apart from that, the RAV coped with the 4+inch thick snow and ice with no slips or slides at all, even with standard road-going Pirellis, just light touches on the pedals and steering wheel. It coped fine with the snow and ice on local hill roads etc, don't know how different on grass/muddy banks etc though.

Also worth looking at a terios - some serious offroad ability due to it being small and light and you can pick them up for next to nothing.

I have just bought a second wee 4x4 for the expected bad winter and lamping etc but opted for the vitara swb simply because this will be the third suzuki I've had and they are superb offroad and as a lamping vehicle, plus they have low ratio too so can pull things if needed.

Regards,

Gixer

My mate has had a couple of Vitaras (old style) and he rips the ***** out of it... I really haven't seen anybody treat a 4x4 the way he does :D Does he break bits? Occasionally, but they seem pretty easy to work on (not that i'd know)

Another mate has a newer Grand Vitara, and he's happy with his, but he doesn't lash it in quite the same way.

I have the 2ltr Grand Vitara and i`ll be having another. I haven`t treated it like i should but it`s still going strong after 4 years.

I can`t fault them but there`s good and bad in all cars.

I have the 2ltr Grand Vitara and i`ll be having another. I haven`t treated it like i should but it`s still going strong after 4 years.

I can`t fault them but there`s good and bad in all cars.

The main issue with suzuki's is rot - if you keep ontop of this though they are superb.

ive got the GV 1600 SWB,does everything i want it to do and will go anywhere i need to go,tried getting stuck on purpose,on a few occasions to see what its capable of,and never managed,always gets out of it,would definately have another,my shooting pal liked it that much,he got rid of his navara and got a GV,but the diesel option,great little motors IMO....

Interesting thread as I'm currently thinking about buying a 'shooting' wagon. Got around a 1000-1500 to spend and currently thinking Shogun or Trooper. Cant believe the 500 motor with tax and test has disappeared cray.gif bloody government and the scrap-age scheme I suppose!!

Any opinions on the Shogun, what to look for, what to avoid?

Dont mean to hijack thread but didnt see point in starting another

• 3 weeks later...