10 bore advice

grahamch

Am thinking of getting a ten bore for the shore, any advice or recommendations would be welcome.

I dont want a semi auto and would prefer a side by side without a huge beaver tail fore end. Budget is up to £1500.

You could always get a beavertail slimmed down by a competant gunsmith for a reasonable sum if that`s a deal

breaker.They do keep your hands a little warmer though !

I got a basque sbs with open chokes,(cant mind what but steel is fine through it) for 350. Its bomb proof as well. If I was going for something 'nicer' then an AYA would be my next shout. The lincolns for sale in good condition tend to be overpriced,(were they not around £400 new initially?) and the poorer ones don't look worth while

I wouldn't bother much about getting chokes bored out, it's all a lot of ****. I used nothing but a 10g for 12 season on the foreshore doing 70+ flights a season. Me and my mate put dozens of lbs of hevi shot and steel through full choked Zabalas, Lincolns and Ithacas with no ill effects at all to the barrels.

Now I use a 3.5" 12g and get the same results from a gun that weighs 4lb lighter.

Cheers,

Mark.

I wouldn't bother much about getting chokes bored out, it's all a lot of ****. I used nothing but a 10g for 12 season on the foreshore doing 70+ flights a season. Me and my mate put dozens of lbs of hevi shot and steel through full choked Zabalas, Lincolns and Ithacas with no ill effects at all to the barrels.

Now I use a 3.5" 12g and get the same results from a gun that weighs 4lb lighter.

Cheers,

Mark.

And when you fire a steel 3.5 load through it you feel like you have been kicked in the face by a donkey

Cheers,

Mark.

Tell you what the Sx3 super mag 12 i have dont pattern anything like the 10 choked 1/2 and 1/2. Even if its the same load it dont perform the same at range. This is based on Remington nitro steel tests side by side. I like the extra weight in the ten as once it starts moving its hard to stop that swing to poke, it aint no good for teal and pintail though

When you've got an hours walk in chest waders the lighter gun is certainly a plus. When it comes to factory loads the 10 probably has the edge but when dealing with homeloads there is no difference.

Inland flighting with my Xtrema and a .675" Terror choke loaded with a homeloaded 3.5" cheddite, 2 1/4 oz of 4's pushed out at 1250fps by longshot will smash geese at 60 yards every time. That load got so much success dozens of guys now use it.

When you've got an hours walk in chest waders the lighter gun is certainly a plus. When it comes to factory loads the 10 probably has the edge but when dealing with homeloads there is no difference.

Inland flighting with my Xtrema and a .675" Terror choke loaded with a homeloaded 3.5" cheddite, 2 1/4 oz of 4's pushed out at 1250fps by longshot will smash geese at 60 yards every time. That load got so much success dozens of guys now use it.

Maybee, perhaps i only use steel and so 2 1/4 oz is not doable and 4's would be pants. but a couple of pounds in gun carry weight means nothing when you figure on what a brace of Greylag or canadas weigh in at. I dont like 3 1/2" lead loads at all and get better results with 3" lead (foxing)