Rural Crime

al4x

My farmer friend has had diesel stolen ,gas guns stolen out of the fields ,bales of barley straw nicked ,if you can believe it . He has had youths on motor bikes riding across the fields that have crops in . Tractors windscreens smashed and tyres on combine slashed .

Part of my brief on the farms now is to watch out for the scum bags and call the cops . I have a direct number to the rural crimes unit . Shooters wonder why farmers dont want any body on the farms pigeon shooting .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

I know someone who kept having petrol or diesel (can't remember which) stolen from a tank. To stop it, he put stones, soil, etc in there and the next time they stole the fuel, they broke their car engine. Then he got death threats over it.

Someone else had a tractor stolen a few years ago. Just recently, the police found it in Poland, and it has now been returned.

Edited by Reece

It does make you wonder we had a local keeper out beating with us at the weekend, he had his sidekick catch two polish blokes poaching with an airgun. Police were called reported they had a firearm and the guys had been caught, when they got there they checked the vehicle was legit and let them go with the gun pretty staggering when you hear some of the stories of how they treat legitimate shooters.

I think rural crime used to be opportunistic. Unfortunately, it is now very much organised.

People have finally got the message about leaving your car vulnerable, but how many farmers still leave their tractor/combine in a far off, remote and distant field at the busy times of year.

Be vigilant. I'm terrible, any suspicious looking vehicles in and around my area, I take their number plate vehicle description. My phone is just recording after recording of number plates. SWMBO thinks i'm crazy. However, it has helped one farmer that got broken into and resulted in a conviction. I rang 101 only the other weekend when I saw a dodgy looking chap in a field with 2 feral kids in tow. It could have been the land owner for all I know, but to me they were acting dodgy and looked out of place - so dialled 101 and the Popo went to visit him. He wasn't there when I drove back so assume he was shuffled on...

Around here, catalytic convertor theft is quite rife at the moment. Especially on the Ford Rangers!

Edited by huffhuff

I wonder what has caused this shift to rural areas ?

Was it caused by the high fuel prices and easy pickings from farmyards ?

Having moved from the South East to rural Wales I'm surprised how few precautions people take here, 1000 litre oil tanks are right next to the road for easy filling, large gas bottles often sit on the kerb with a pipe running into the kitchen for the cooker, garages and outbuildings are not only left unlocked but often the doors aren't closed unless the weather is bad. There is a welding shop nearby that leaves their metal stock in the unfenced front yard.

It's only a matter of time until the scum start moving a bit further from home for the easy thefts, or maybe the thieves are locals who are only now turning to crime. Perhaps there was little rural crime because rural people were more honest.

I wonder what has caused this shift to rural areas ?

Was it caused by the high fuel prices and easy pickings from farmyards ?

Having moved from the South East to rural Wales I'm surprised how few precautions people take here, 1000 litre oil tanks are right next to the road for easy filling, large gas bottles often sit on the kerb with a pipe running into the kitchen for the cooker, garages and outbuildings are not only left unlocked but often the doors aren't closed unless the weather is bad. There is a welding shop nearby that leaves their metal stock in the unfenced front yard.

It's only a matter of time until the scum start moving a bit further from home for the easy thefts, or maybe the thieves are locals who are only now turning to crime. Perhaps there was little rural crime because rural people were more honest.

My dad has noticed that poaching seems to go up whenever unemployment goes up, presumably because people have more time on their hands. Unemployment would probably affect other rural crime, especially where people can make money, such as fuel and metal theft (or almost any theft, for that matter).

Edited by Reece

I've found we go through spells of Rural crime in our area then nothing for a few months.

Seems to be organised gangs that nip straight down the A1 from the major North East cities (I'm generalising here as they often come from two destinations but I don't want to point the finger at anyone community).

Our crime rate has gone down a fair bit since North Yorks police partnered up with Durham and also Cleveland police to patrol areas like Scotch Corner in the early hours to nick the gangs on their way home.