Mixy rabbits shot with a v-max

30-6

I don't know why i just thought of this, but if you head shot a rabbit with say a .22 lr and it had mixy you would probably notice it. If however you done this with say a .17 hmr or wmr with a v-max, and its head was severely "damaged", how would you notice ? I know i've had some with anal signs of infection, but most have only been noticed by eyes alone.

You'll probably know when you paunch it as well. Mixy takes a toll on the liver. If its swollen, blotchy with white patches or generally discoloured and sickly looking, reject it. I won't feed dodgey looking livers to ferrets either. Al the toxins in the body get concentratedin the liver. The bowels are usually in a pretty grim state too. I sling mixy rabbits out in the open as away from active buries as I can so the crows can clean them up.

I don't know why i just thought of this, but if you head shot a rabbit with say a .22 lr and it had mixy you would probably notice it. If however you done this with say a .17 hmr or wmr with a v-max, and its head was severely "damaged", how would you notice ? I know i've had some with anal signs of infection, but most have only been noticed by eyes alone.

if its got mixy, you'd be able to wack it with the butt of the 17hmr, you'll know that way

The head would have to be severely damaged, you can tell! :good:

Myxi is not zootropic. You cannot catch it. If you don't know it has myxi, you will enjoy it just the same as any other bunny. I do not think that there are any zootropic diseases in UK rabbits, you can eat 'em no matter how manky they look, as long as they are cooked through to kill any parasites.

bullet trauma does not resemble the lesions and swelling from infection.

unless very early stages of the disease you would know

probably more likely to spot it from the rabbit's behaviour before the shot than after in that case

Mixi bunnies don't move or react like healthy ones

Yeah, understand what you say about the behaviour, but in the summer shot one with the .22 lr which i thought had myxi as its eye was shut tight from what i could see through the scope. When i picked it up it was fine so i put it down to the fact it was "dozing" in the sunshine.

One of the first rabbits i ever got was a mixy rabbit. Only one ive seen since, feabely "hopped" out of the hedge looked like a normal rabbit, put a pellet in it and it just rolled over, i rolled it back over and its fur was patchy and in bad condition, and its eye swolen over and with soares on it, looked in a bad way and i had no clue what it was didnt know much about mixy at that time

Myxy effects both sexes and in fact rarely kills directly but rather like AIDS so weakens the animal with multiple infections that it dies of something else, often starvation. It doesn't appear to effect other species, probably because the vector- the means by which it spreads, is in this country the rabbit flea. But being a virus it must mutate to survive otherwise it would kill its host and thereby eventually kill itself, so it could only be a matter of time. The virus occurs naturally and was identified in the 1920s but became lethal when manipulated by man as a means of creating biological pest control. In its virulent form its only been around 60 or so years, so who knows. On a biological timescale its early days.

Sorry, no way I could eat mingy myxy wab wabs. paunch and leave for fox for me!

Are there any other species it can affect and does it only affect the boys/girls/both sexes of rabbit?

The odds are you already have, for the first day or two of infection NO sign is visible.

Only rabbits are effected, domestic of course as well!