How to dispatch a fox in a live trap without a gun?

MagiKelly

your right u may get linched i would bin this program, even though its probably better than hitting them with a spoon till there unconscious, i would seek either professional help ie u shoot them with a mod.410 or release them elsewhere in there traps under the proviso it is for there own health and safety, as this has got to be proven it is better for there welfare to be moved...

Yeah if you could drop them all near my house that'll be fine haha :D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would doubt there is a humane way without out using a gun of some description.

If ur using a rifle be it an air gun or 22lr (both wil be more than capable of penetrating a foxes skull) the single most imporatant thing is shot placement, to actually shoot it in the head, the local mink trappers use 2 'combs' to move the mink to 1 end so it can't move and they shoot them in the head with air pistol's (which are sub 6ft/lb's, althou need to use special pellets for the penetration, 'promethus?' the expensive 1's with a plasticskirt). Mink for all being small animals have very strong skulls probably stronger than a fox.

Personally i'd have no worries about shooting a fox in a trap with an airgun provided i was very coonfident i could get the clean head shot which is far more imporant than the power ur weapon has, if any doubt i'd phone BASC as there is some very very bad and stupid advice in this thread. Like some one else said might be better to try and keep the foxes out and coup chickens up at nite, althou not easy to keep foxes out 100%

They have not trapped a fox yet and would not without a way of dispatching it sorted out.

They are in a rural location and it may be the answer is getting the nearby farmer to dispatch it or me coming over to do it. I was just wondering if there was an accepted alternative.

They have kept hens for years without issue and never lost any but over the last couple of months lost two batches. So chances are this will be one or two foxes to be dealt with. Snaring is not an option and so far there has not been any luck waiting with the gun.

can you not call them in 1 evening with a caller while your visiting with a shottie

Edited by overandunder2012

Doesn't need to be a hush power just a cheap BA .410 or 12 single will do the job £50 for cert, £4 for photo 45p to post application then £10-50 for a single and £8 for a box of carts can all be done...for under £100 or its call out a pestie to do the job. unless there is a reason they wont be granted a cert. i dont see it being a big issue if they dont like the thought of doing it themselves then pay a pro....

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/BSA_Shotgun_Folding_For-Sale_120220122100001

don't forget the gun cabinet mate, they cost more than the gun :) Edited by sheffield shooter