How to dispatch a fox in a live trap without a gun?

MagiKelly

I have to say that a non-firearm air rifle 11-12ftlbs at point blank is a pretty devastating tool, knowing the penetration it has at this range I would have thought it was more than adequate to despatch a caged fox. I would suggest any doubters borrow an air rifle and test some other similar substances to a foxes skull to conclude this issue.

Yet seen a squirrel take 3 .22 pellets from non FAC gun to despatch........its all about placement if its perfect it will do the job. A shotgun (regardless of the gauge will do the job and does not require the pin point accuracy of a humane kill with a non FAC air rifle. and unless you are buying cheap Chinese or co2 guns a single shotgun and certificate is cheaper (ok need cabinet/clamp) but close call. And will despatch a Fox not in a trap!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thought on this. In a slaughterhouse where they use captive bolt or low-powered guns to kill, the shot / bolt to the head is only considered to stun the animal, killing it done by opening a blood vessel.

So, if trying to kill a fox with an air rifle perhaps it would be wise to remove it from the trap afterwards and smash it's head in to make sure.

A thought on this. In a slaughterhouse where they use captive bolt or low-powered guns to kill, the shot / bolt to the head is only considered to stun the animal, killing it done by opening a blood vessel.

Or Pithing......... I wouldnt fancy pithing a stunned fox.....or any animal for that matter!

some strange advice,,great read tho,,kill a fox with an air rifle but dont shoot a pheasant with one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: amazing, if i was you mate just go round yourself and shoot it, failing that, ring someone else to do it,,good luck with whatever your choice is. this forum really ceases to amaze me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest cookoff013

Id used my hushpower .410 for the job its quiet and not overkill like 12bore, I have no doubt a 12ft lb could kill a fox but would rather use a shotgun.

overkill? what is that?

12guage, at close range should be enough even with 7.5 subs.i`m nt advocating 7.5s on animals normaly. but at point blank range is a no brainer, use what you have.

i cant believe some of the answers to this thread.

f- crazy.

brilliant thread. lol.

in my opinion, although i believe that an air rifle would probably do the job at point blank range, it wouldnt be my ideal choice to use one, infact, i wouldnt.

as alot of people will agree, it's not really the done thing, and some would class it as inhumane.

im not slating those who choose to do it, each to their own, but i just wouldnt.

a shotgun is far more effective, especially considering that by the sound of things, the people the OP is talking about, have little or no experience with guns or air rifles which would also lead me to believe that they are probably not the best people to be dispatching these foxes, especially not with an air rifle.

just my 2 pence.....

overkill? what is that?

12guage, at close range should be enough even with 7.5 subs.i`m nt advocating 7.5s on animals normaly. but at point blank range is a no brainer, use what you have.

f- crazy.

I'm interested to know your definition of overkill, or do you believe it doesn't exist? :hmm::good:

Cheers

A mentioned the couple are not particularly familiar with guns but not squeamish. I had initially thought there may me a tech nice for pinning the fox down with a forked stick etc them using some form of spike to dispatch it but it seems guns of one form or another are the favoured route.

If I am to just use my 12 gauge will it not damage the trap?

A mentioned the couple are not particularly familiar with guns but not squeamish. I had initially thought there may me a tech nice for pinning the fox down with a forked stick etc them using some form of spike to dispatch it but it seems guns of one form or another are the favoured route.

If I am to just use my 12 gauge will it not damage the trap?

You can get crush cages and divides to direct/pin the fox to one end of the trap.

What you do to it then is open to many options!

....and with any gun you need to direct it through the wire when you pull the trigger and endeavour to deliver it entirely into the quarry, not blast out the back or side of the trap with too powerful or too wide spreading tools! That isn't easy even with a .22lr with a mod, and yes, if you get it wrong with any gun watch out for a messed up trap, injured fox and ricochets, 12g :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:!

ATB!

Edited by Dekers

Guest cookoff013

I'm interested to know your definition of overkill, or do you believe it doesn't exist? :hmm::good:

Cheers

10gauge 00 is overkill, 12gauge should do nicely, even a 20gauge.

overkill? what is that?

f- crazy.

I dont understand what you're getting at Im not saying a 12bore would not do the job but at more or less point blank range that power is not needed a .410 would suffice just fine and not make a huge bang and splatter the trap up to much.

Is there a sensible way without a gun? As said gassing or drowning are illegal, transferring to a sack and using a baseball bat might just be legal if you hit it properly. A nail gun is just ******* stupid other than that there isn't much choice.