How to dispatch a fox in a live trap without a gun?

MagiKelly

You must have been unlucky or shot it in the wrong place! Both 22lr and 12ft/lb will kill a fox clean all day long point blank, it's been proven and people do it. U just have to wait for the thing to stop moving to guarantee a good shot. They will freeze for long enough to take a shot. Just be patient. You can get a rouge shot that fails to kill with anything. But you have a quick second shot will most air rifles now Days, as with the 22lr.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should have a way to dispatch before they set the trap. What was they planning on doing when they caught it. Altho gassing foxes is not illegal I do believe there is no gas for foxes, there is for rabbits but its illegal to use rabbit gas on foxes.

They have not trapped a fox yet and would not without a way of dispatching it sorted out.

They are in a rural location and it may be the answer is getting the nearby farmer to dispatch it or me coming over to do it. I was just wondering if there was an accepted alternative.

They have kept hens for years without issue and never lost any but over the last couple of months lost two batches. So chances are this will be one or two foxes to be dealt with. Snaring is not an option and so far there has not been any luck waiting with the gun.

Truly surprised and miffed that a sub 12 airgun has even been mentioned :no: , you might as well advise drop kicking it, pretty sure it'd kill it and save yourself a pellet too. :no:

The thickness of the skull and point blank doesn't even come into it, reality check does though. How on earth can you ensure that a petrified, rapidly moving animal can be shot in the exact spot?

You need a gun with power to spare, I would argue even an FAC airgun would make a poor choice.

Truly surprised and miffed that a sub 12 airgun has even been mentioned :no: , you might as well advise drop kicking it, pretty sure it'd kill it and save yourself a pellet too. :no:

The thickness of the skull and point blank doesn't even come into it, reality check does though. How on earth can you ensure that a petrified, rapidly moving animal can be shot in the exact spot?

You need a gun with power to spare, I would argue even an FAC airgun would make a poor choice.

Rubbish !

If as you say it cant be shot in the exact spot why do you think more power will kill it , you could perhaps take its leg off with a 50 cal and not kill it cleanly.

A 12ft LB rifle will have enough power to kill it at point blank or a few feet easily , if you shoot it in the right place , how many humans do you think are killed each year with airguns ?? its not the power thats killed them but the fact they have been unlucky enough to have been shot in the right place.

Sure there are better tools for the job but a air rifle would suffice just fine.

its in a cage trap, you get it to one end of the trap and shoot it quite simple, done calmly and patiently as you would with whatever you shot it with. The facts are its likely to be a residential area so you do it out of sight of neighbours and it will work and be humane but it won't be noisy, won't have any issues legally and obviously doesn't require a license. As said airguns do kill people fairly regularly in accidents they really aren't harmless at close range.

question is after just 24 posts how many fools can give this relative unknown the craziest ill informed suggestion to use against us or worse still actually test out.

How about this one. Join BASC and ask them for the appropriate humane and legal recomendation, if your not a member you should be if you need to ask such questions you will find the membership worthwhile from an education point of view.

How about this one. Join BASC and ask them for the appropriate humane and legal recomendation, if your not a member you should be if you need to ask such questions you will find the membership worthwhile from an education point of view.

I am a member of BASC, have been for a few years now. I did not know that having only a few posts on here so far meant there was questions I should not ask.. In what way would the answers differ if I had 1000 posts?

Please cull it correctly, within the law. This is an open forum and some suggestions are going to give those, who are not like minded, fuel to the fire.

What is the law on this exactly?

I personally wouldn't use a sub 12ft lbs air rifle, but that's not to say it isn't effective... Purely personal choice.

A shotgun, however, I KNOW it will be humane as I've done it myself.

Just ignore Kent he is usually just argumentative for the sake of it, I found the block function meant I could just about tolerate his replies :whistling:

it was a valid question you have some good and not so good advice, you have to remember some on here don't shoot much and there is a big gap between those that know nothing, those that shoot a lot and then those who just simply think they know everything.

Just ignore Kent he is usually just argumentative for the sake of it, I found the block function meant I could just about tolerate his replies :whistling:

it was a valid question you have some good and not so good advice, you have to remember some on here don't shoot much and there is a big gap between those that know nothing, those that shoot a lot and then those who just simply think they know everything.

Wise words.

Plenty of opinions here, some good advice

I've done this with a silenced .22 with subsonics in a garden with close neighbours - my preferred method.

If your friends want to have chickens and catch foxes - it follows they should tool-up for humane dispatch, or let the foxes go - elsewhere.

Maybe you don't need to do it as discretely as some who might use something bigger if it was conditioned for fox?

Remember some of us are denied fox on our rimfire tickets.

Dave, as far as I know (all of my shooting partners) all Leices tickets have the 'humane destruction of animals' which would fulfil the conditions.

I have to say that a non-firearm air rifle 11-12ftlbs at point blank is a pretty devastating tool, knowing the penetration it has at this range I would have thought it was more than adequate to despatch a caged fox. I would suggest any doubters borrow an air rifle and test some other similar substances to a foxes skull to conclude this issue.

id use a .410, never shot one in a trap or snare with anything else.

Guys we all know a shotgun and or fac rifle would be the much better tool, no one is arguing that. The original post the people trapping them don't have a firearms ticket and want a solution. I'd rather them buy a legal air rifle that will do the job quickly at that range than resort to anything else, hitting it with shovel, priest etc and hurting the fox

This is quite an interesting read. My initial thoughts are that to shoot a fox with an air rifle is a bad move, but we have a couple of members I respect on here suggesting it will work so who am I to question it? I've never tried it as I have better tools but that doesn't mean it wont work.

Generally I use my .22lr with CB longs. They're only 32ft-lbs, work fine and are safer for me and surrounding dwellings than a full on subsonic. If the placement is good then it's lights out. If you do happen to mess it up it has already been said that the fox is in a cage so you can get and sort it quickly. I know, that's not ideal but what we do doesn't always go perfectly and having a good backup plan is always helpful!

I think next time I shoot a fox I'm going to then head shoot it with my HW80 to see what happens. Thinking about it I'd imagine it would work, if they can get through 1/2" of ply a fox skull isn't going to stand much chance?

Guys we all know a shotgun and or fac rifle would be the much better tool, no one is arguing that. The original post the people trapping them don't have a firearms ticket and want a solution. I'd rather them buy a legal air rifle that will do the job quickly at that range than resort to anything else, hitting it with shovel, priest etc and hurting the fox

+1 I have an fac and sgc, but the smallest rifle calibre I own is a .17 hmr so noise was an issue when I have shot trapped foxs. So I have used an air rifle put as close to the foxs head as poss, a .22 pellet DOES kill a fox stone dead if you shot it in the head point blank. IMO the most humain and quickest way with out stressing out the fox any longor than is needed. Yes it may not be the ideal way but it does the job quickly and quietly.