How to dispatch a fox in a live trap without a gun?

MagiKelly

But that is the posters question, without shooting. Do we know the location, is that location within a built up area ? Is it rural, is it overlooked or close by to neighbours who might object to the use of a shotgun?

Blackpowder

I think the salient point is, don't trap an animal, without suitable means of dispatch, 5 pages of nonsense....if you are intending to trap and kill an animal....have the means to kill it humanely.

Rocket science its not.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that is the posters question, without shooting. Do we know the location, is that location within a built up area ? Is it rural, is it overlooked or close by to neighbours who might object to the use of a shotgun?

Blackpowder

Sorry fella, I was playing with the fact you wrote "Blackpowder", which would be humane, but messy.

I am siding with the main thing being mentioned tho why trap it if you carnt finish it off it just seems cruel to me. :/

This keeps coming up. Who is trapping foxes without having the means to dispatch them? I asked the question. As of yet no trap has even been bought or constructed. I am making sure that the means of dispatch are sorted out in advance in line withe the law and I hope best practice. I have asked on this forum to ensure the chosen method is humane.

Now as I asked a while ago. Does a 12 gauge not ruin the trap?

This keeps coming up. Who is trapping foxes without having the means to dispatch them? I asked the question. As of yet no trap has even been bought or constructed. I am making sure that the means of dispatch are sorted out in advance in line withe the law and I hope best practice. I have asked on this forum to ensure the chosen method is humane.

I would think a 12g might ruin the trap. I use a single barrel .410 with 2" cartridges. Fairly quiet and instant.

Edited by walshie

Someone already addressed this; not if you poke it through the wire and ensure the impact is absorbed within the animal which I personally think would be difficult to do with a 12g. The most sensible seems to be a 410 with 2" shells.

I'm sure there is dozens of members who would happily nip round and shoot it at a moments notice with a suitable gun/rifle, even in a built up area all it takes is a quick phone call to the police before you pull the trigger to explain your humanely dispatching a fox at there address, job done! If they're local to me I'll happily do it in exchange for half a dozen eggs per fox.

This must be one of the most depressing threads yet, and there's been a few to choose from. I can't believe its still going. This is a public forum for God's sake. Anyone can wonder in. How to kill a fox without a firearm: we've had gassing, drowning, baseball bats, electrocution, lump hammers, air rifles, nail guns and God knows what else. I know much of its been tongue in cheek, but enough. You despatch a trapped fox with a firearm, a proper one; and if you haven't one at your disposal you don't set the bloody trap in the first place. The end.

Edited by Gimlet

depends on the mesh size of trap if you think about it

the barrel can be easily pushed slowly through the mesh, holding the barrel half inch away from skull, BANG, fox dead

I used a single barrel pedretti hushpower, purely for fox dispatch

30082009217.jpg

13102009281.jpg

Flippin' heck how complicated does it have to be? just drive it a few miles away and release it. Its not illegal so you don't have to worry about anyone seeing you. Thats what I do now that the local dump charges for taking dead ones.

Hmmm. Not sure if this is serious or not. Firstly if you released it, it would find it's way back. Secondly, it IS illegal and thirdly, how does the dump know what you're dumping?

Hmmm. Not sure if this is serious or not. Firstly if you released it, it would find it's way back. Secondly, it IS illegal and thirdly, how does the dump know what you're dumping?

First its not illegal, most definitely isn't illegal. They are a native species, its only illegal to re-release non native species like grey squirrels, mink etc. Lots of pest controllers advertise the fact that they re-release the foxes as a major selling point. Housewives are much more likely to pay to have the foxes removed than they are to have them killed. If you tell them you are going to kill the fox a lot, probably the majority, of them will start having second thoughts. At £60 a fox its worth a fifteen minute drive to the woods.

Secondly they are not homing pigeons none of the ones I've released have ever come back if you drive them far enough away, a few miles is enough.

Thirdly, our local dump used to take "dead pets" for free but now they charge. Dumping a dead fox in the ordinary skips would be illegal as it a bio hazard, I doubt they would notice a one off but they would cotton on if you did it regularly

Edited by Vince Green

First its not illegal, most definitely isn't illegal. They are a native species, its only illegal to re-release non native species like grey squirrels, mink etc. Lots of pest controllers advertise the fact that they re-release the foxes as a major selling point. Housewives are much more likely to pay to have the foxes removed than they are to have them killed. If you tell them you are going to kill the fox a lot, probably the majority, of them will start having second thoughts. At £60 a fox its worth a fifteen minute drive to the woods.

Secondly they are not homing pigeons none of the ones I've released have ever come back if you drive them far enough away, a few miles is enough.

Thirdly, our local dump used to take "dead pets" for free but now they charge. Dumping a dead fox in the ordinary skips would be illegal as it a bio hazard, I doubt they would notice a one off but they would cotton on if you did it regularly

I believe your serious on this

and cant find words that wont be deleted from here

ok, you may tell the customer it will be released to "get the business" don't mean you need to follow it to the letter

releasing 15 odd miles away could be seen as cruelty to the wild animals act, your removing it from its home and putting it into an unknown area, food,water,???? your placing it in danger from other foxes, by releasing into others domain

a single dead fox can be left in any council bin, household or otherwise

, I doubt they would notice a one off but they would cotton on if you did it regularly

WHY???

you would not place it in a recycle bin, or kitchen waste

it would go into normal household waste, that in turn gets dumped in landfill, no one searches through this, apart from foxes,crows and rats, I'm sure they wont say anything

I have used this method 100's of times

big brother is not watching me

Ok, if you filled your domestic dustbin with foxes every week someone may raise an objection, but look at the reality....

Joe Public visits his game dealer and buys a whole Deer, several Pheasant and a couple of Hares, he skins, cleans and bones them and then what?

He makes an appointent at the nearest bio hazard waste treatment site?

Where have all your chicken and beef and lamb and pork and fish and poultry etc, waste gone over the years?

In the bin! :good: :good:

Edited by Dekers

Its a straight forward business decision. People who pay to have foxes trapped, in general, don't want them killed. So you just want to get rid of the stinking animal as quickly and as cheaply as possible with the least amount of hassle.What happens to it after that, I really couldn't care less, but I have heard no reports of starving foxes

depends on the mesh size of trap if you think about it

the barrel can be easily pushed slowly through the mesh, holding the barrel half inch away from skull, BANG, fox dead

I used a single barrel pedretti hushpower, purely for fox dispatch

Perfect gun for dispatch, but just for safetys sake I'd recommend a little further than half inch from the head, the HSA recommend 20cm for larger animals, just in case they move as you pull the trigger, and occlude the barrels, killing yourself...which Brian May would **** his pants at, and I couldn't stand him laughing at me.

• 2 months later...

Ill get lynched saying this but a 12ft/lb rifle will dispatch a fox easly at this range. Point blank and you can guarantee where you hit it (you would have to show them where to shoot to kill instantly) They could get one and keep it in house.

I totally disagree with shooting fox with air rifles in any other situation, but I can't think of a more humain way for your friends without a license.

your right u may get linched i would bin this program, even though its probably better than hitting them with a spoon till there unconscious, i would seek either professional help ie u shoot them with a mod.410 or release them elsewhere in there traps under the proviso it is for there own health and safety, as this has got to be proven it is better for there welfare to be moved... Edited by delburt0