How to dispatch a fox in a live trap without a gun?

MagiKelly

A friend is having trouble with foxes taking his hens. It is an intermittent problem and for a few reasons a live trap is the best solution. They do not have a gun in the house and I don't fancy having to go over every time they get a fox.

So as the thread title. What is the best way for them to dispatch the fox once it is trapped? And they have no worries about preserving the pelt in good condition if that is a factor.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill get lynched saying this but a 12ft/lb rifle will dispatch a fox easly at this range. Point blank and you can guarantee where you hit it (you would have to show them where to shoot to kill instantly) They could get one and keep it in house.

I totally disagree with shooting fox with air rifles in any other situation, but I can't think of a more humain way for your friends without a license.

why cant they apply for a cert, and get a hushpower 410, thats how i started, if they cant be bothered doing that, they should not be trapping in first place

Doesn't need to be a hush power just a cheap BA .410 or 12 single will do the job £50 for cert, £4 for photo 45p to post application then £10-50 for a single and £8 for a box of carts can all be done...for under £100 or its call out a pestie to do the job. unless there is a reason they wont be granted a cert. i dont see it being a big issue if they dont like the thought of doing it themselves then pay a pro....

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/BSA_Shotgun_Folding_For-Sale_120220122100001

depends on location, residential areas its far better to use a hushpower, none of my neighbours ever heard or noticed, and even when they were in their gardens,

Oh I agree round houses in built up areas they are great, but obviously if they don't have close neighbours and it isn't necessary (they do cost more) but subsonic carts are good idea I have a few in my random cart box for just such an occasion. Edited by HDAV

Ill get lynched saying this but a 12ft/lb rifle will dispatch a fox easly at this range. Point blank and you can guarantee where you hit it (you would have to show them where to shoot to kill instantly) They could get one and keep it in house.

I totally disagree with shooting fox with air rifles in any other situation, but I can't think of a more humain way for your friends without a license.

+1 iv done this many times, a .22 pellet in the head at point blank range will kill a fox stone dead no problem.

Don't trap them if you have no humane way of dispatching - some air rifles will be well under the 12ft-lb mark and will just injure the fox, get the job done right or don't do it.

Well done for asking and not just steaming in though!

Regards,

Gixer

It's fine if someone sees you as it works, that is all that matters. The only law you have to think about is to do with causing unnecessary suffering and it's not an issue. One to the brain and job done anyone thinks a .22 can't penetrate a foxes skull at point blank range needs to try it with a dead fox first. There are no other laws that would be an issue,

I tried this and put up pics and a write up,it is on here somewhere.

Can not remember exact distance(about 10 yards) but .22 punched a hole through a foxes skull and would have certainly killed it using a sub 12ft lbs air rifle.

It's fine if someone sees you as it works, that is all that matters. The only law you have to think about is to do with causing unnecessary suffering and it's not an issue. One to the brain and job done anyone thinks a .22 can't penetrate a foxes skull at point blank range needs to try it with a dead fox first. There are no other laws that would be an issue,

I don't think a sub 12 air-gun is adequate.

Perhaps if the gun is somewhere near full power (many don't come close to the limit), if you can get it right up to the fox, and if the fox is obliging enough to remain perfectly still and not move it could be humane, but I don't think it's a suitable method. They may be a pest, but it's not OK to risk the suffering that could be caused by an air-gun shot going wrong.

I can't see any way other than shooting it, if it's that big a problem for you to go over and shoot them then perhaps getting them to apply for a SGC would be the easy way forward, as already said it can be done cheaply. Or perhaps someone nearer could be found who wouldn't mind popping along when needed?

I'm sure that a well-positioned .22 pellet, fired at close range, from a 10-11 ftlb air rifle will kill a fox instantly. In fact, I know someone who has killed a fox, in the open, at a range of about 3 yards using a sub-12 .22.

The problems start if : he is seen, and if he is seen and the first shot fails to kill cleanly. Unnecessary suffering, WACA offences, would be possible.

Is he that inundated with foxes that it's not possible for you to go round as and when they are caught, to dispatch them ?

Even under the air gun is the way forward, point blank it takes very little power to humanely destroy a fox

Not really Alex, I have shot a fox point blank, top of the head with a 22LR and watched it move around again until it had another round put in it, and that was witnessed by another member On here so no story....

Regards,

Gixer

Just do what the RSPCA do - take it elsewhere in the car and let it go ... :yp:

Edited by gixer1

Not really Alex, I have shot a fox point blank, top of the head with a 22LR and watched it move around again until it had another round put in it, and that was witnessed by another member On here so no story....

Regards,

Gixer

Just do what the RSPCA do - take it elsewhere in the car and let it go ... :yp:

You ought to have done it right the first time then. :whistling:

Seriously though, we all know some quarry will sometimes writhe for a few seconds after being shot.

I've seen foxes brain shot up close and personal with air rifles a couple of times - they just flopped down dead, mouth open, tongue out.