Truffles...........

ziplex

I aint got the foggiest what truffle tastes like, during an episode of River Cottage HFW decided to best describe the taste as a cross between sex and socks, his guest decided it was more like shrimps and horlicks....that's as I remember it anyhow, could be wrong and I have a warped mind but anyhow can anyone suggest where I best look for them, (to buy), and add your description of taste! I'm off to a farmers market tomorrow and will be on the look out. Are they worth paying silly money to taste? :yp:

There was a good programme on Radio 4 today about a truffle hunting dog.

Thought pigs were the best noses for them but what do I know :yp:

LB

But have you tasted 'em LB?....................and are they worth the expense?, subjective I know but i'm interested in opinions!

Imagine an earthy/fungusy/mushroomy/musky flavour but on a huge scale.All you need is a small shaving into an omlette or risotto to get the full effect.

Hope you have a full wallet!If not go to your local supermarket as some stock small bottles of "truffle oil" which is basically an oil flavoured with truffle.This is the cheaper,but less tasty option but if you don`t like it`s taste,unlikely but I can`t eat/smell eggs without retching,then it will be easier on the wallet.

Bon Appetit!

There was a good programme on Radio 4 today about a truffle hunting dog.

Thought pigs were the best noses for them but what do I know :yp:

LB

But have you tasted 'em LB?....................and are they worth the expense?, subjective I know but i'm interested in opinions!

Yes and no Zipplex. I think to appreciate them you would eat them as a dish not in a dish and they were paid for by someone with more sense than money.

Long story and not for this site mate.

LB

I wondered when the money aspect would enter in, (Martin, joking aside (?)are they really that expensive)? I think the idea of 'truffle oil' may be good enough to satisfy my curiosity perhaps so thanks henry for that, i'll have a look see.

Trust LB eh?................................... :yp:

truffles are an "acquired" taste, that is minging until your pallet allows you to like them.

Like most people, olives and red wine are not on the menu until you get a bit older, your pallet matures and you savour the delights on offer. Truffles, like caviar, are something you learn to like, or spend your life wondering why people like them and you don't.

Not something worth bothering with until you have more money than sense, which comes around much younger these days :yp:

For me nothing of taste but everything in aroma. I refer to a quote I like (Alexandre Dumas):-

"The most learned men have been questioned as to the nature of this tuber, and after two thousand years of argument and discussion their answer is the same as it was on the first day: we do not know. The truffles themselves have been interrogated, and have answered simply: eat us and praise the Lord"

Nicely put pin, your a gent...............seems martin has tryed this rabbit poo lark on others according to henry, :) some people just don't know when to call it a day do they?

Mods: you have a responsibility to monitor people like this!, unless of course you were once involved henry d?

:yp: :lol:

Sorry,

I didn't notice the smilie.

It is still early and I'm only on my second cuppa :yp:

Oh and with regards to Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's opinion I would watch out. While watching a cook on the wild side last night he fried his sandeel's that he was using for bait.

I would watch out if I were you :lol:

Sex and socks? what's that all about.

Sorry,

I didn't notice the smilie.

It is still early and I'm only on my second cuppa :lol:

Oh and with regards to Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's opinion I would watch out. While watching a cook on the wild side last night he fried his sandeel's that he was using for bait.

I would watch out if I were you :)

Sex and socks? what's that all about.

'Sex and socks'............sure enough that was his idea of how they taste and that was what kindled my imagination to be honest, :yp: 'shrimp and horlicks' is intriguing too!?, I think henry d's idea of truffle oil is a good one, seems the cost, as highlander and others point out is seriously high. Atleast i'll get an idea of the taste.

Anyhow.....i'm off to the FM now for a butchers, see what the local producers are up to. :)

No truffles at the Farmers Market........(i'll have a look at that site poacher)!, and a bit of a dissapointment as there were only about a dozen stalls but I did buy some Gloucester old spot sausages, Beef mushroom and horseradish sausages, stilton, chilli cheese, mango chutney and some runner beans!...........guess what's for tea tonight! :yp:

Damn expensive tho', I know it's good to support the locals but a small game pie @ £5.99 was a bit much and the runner beans were nudging into truffle teritory! :lol:

Looking forward to the sausages..............

You could always buy a pig and go searching yourself. Not sure if that would be cheaper though. You would end up with some nice bacon to go in your truffle omelette.

Shrimps and horlicks is just wrong. :) :o :lol::lol:

:) , damn fine idea....................shrimpy thing?, intriguing but admittedly wrong I imagine.

Now is a good time to go looking for truffles. You can find our native one (nearly as good as the expensive ones) in very old beech woodland. Doesn't always work, but here's a trick I learned when working for the gloucestershire wildlife trust. First, find a decent beech wood, with lots of very old trees in it. Then, lie down on the ground. Look out for swarms of small midge like flies close to the ground and near the base of a tree. If they stay over the same spot for some time, go and have a dig. They are attracted to the smell, just like a pig or dog. I've found many truffles this way, although not every time I go searching. It will work if you stick with it and keep trying. Good luck

Thanks for the tip njc...............thought i'd post the findings of the beef, mushroom and horseradish sausages. Fryed and served with boiled pot's, gravy and those beans, lovely....and I have to say worth the expense. Never had this flavour sausage before but worth the effort if you get the chance. :good:

Now is a good time to go looking for truffles. You can find our native one (nearly as good as the expensive ones) in very old beech woodland. Doesn't always work, but here's a trick I learned when working for the gloucestershire wildlife trust. First, find a decent beech wood, with lots of very old trees in it. Then, lie down on the ground. Look out for swarms of small midge like flies close to the ground and near the base of a tree. If they stay over the same spot for some time, go and have a dig. They are attracted to the smell, just like a pig or dog. I've found many truffles this way, although not every time I go searching. It will work if you stick with it and keep trying. Good luck

Excellent advice Njc, though you shouldn't tell too many folks :good: They might find where I get mine from :lol: We have a local chap who sells truffle honey. On its own I think it is revolting, but use it to glaze chicken breasts/wings, to make salad dressing or even to dip buffalo mozzerella in then we are talking food of the gods :lol:

Henry d. The truffles found in britain are very dark brown, much darker than the skins of the perigord truffle which is found on the continent. The skins have a warty texture, and the centres are a bit darker. To be honest, I've never tasted one as all the ones I've found have either been returned (sounds weird, but it's wildlife trust policy not to take rare(ish) things from a nature reserve) or given away. Maybe I'll try some of the next one I find, now I've heard some ideas of what to do with them and know non reserve places to find them.

This is from Jeromy Hobsons colum in the CMW reporting from France.

I do not have a funny sign for eros so I am just going to use an e. Can some one tell me a rough equivalent in BPS to the ero, so I know what they are talking about :D:P

Black Diamonds

While the best truffles are considered by gourmands to be the White Alba from Italy- which is supposedly a female aphrodisiac and more expensive to buy by the ounce than gold- the black truffles found around Provance are hunted by countrymen and the specially trained dogs, the majority of which are hound types.

The escalating price of these black diamonds on the open market has causedproblems this Autom....(this was printed Dec.05)....and at a recent public meeting in St Cannat rural hunters claimed that armed robbers have been arriving in their woods after dark and stealing an estimated 30 kg of truffles in one night from the protected oak forests.

With truffles selling i excess of e1000 per kilo- the Piedmount truffle peaked on the European market at e2535 per kilo in mid Nov.-it is perhaps not surprissing that hounds trained in scenting these fungi out are in demand and a trained animal can fetch as much a e4000.

NTTF