air rifle for xmas

Ryan gun

bit of a question as i cant make my mind up on wich gun to get at christmas with the money so here isn the list of what i have look at.

pcp multi shots

1)air arms s410

2)air arms s410 tdr

3)weirauch hw100

4)bsa ultra se multi shot new bolt action version

5)bsa scorpion se multi shot bolt action version

6)bsa r10 mk1 or mk2

7)bsa super 10

8)theoben rapid mk1 or mk2

9)brocock contour xl super 6

10)fx t12

11)daystate huntsman

springers and underlevers

1)weirauch hw 97 kt stainless

2)air arms tx200

3)air arms prosport

looking to keep under £650-£700

springer or pcp also open to suggestions also do bipods help on pcp's and what charging gear is best like what size cylinder(3,6,12)litre bottles or a styrupp pump

ps:i go through a lot of pellets so would a bigger bottle be better.

atb ryan

Add the Air Arms S510 to that list! Belter of a gun. Think of it as somewhere between the HW100 and the S410. it has a side cocking action which is super smooth, but doesn't weigh more than a medium sized oil tanker. you should look at it, trust me it'll be worth it.

You should be able to pick up a nice set up for £700 all in.

When it comes to bipods, you really only have to think about two models: Deben and Harris. The deben ones are a bit cheaper, but possibly not as well made. I have a deben and had to replce a nut that disappeared in the field somewhere, but other than that it's bean brilliant. Harris bipods will withstand anything life can through at it, but they come at a cost. Height wise, I regret buying a 6-9" one - I think I should have gone for 9-12" - but not enough to go out and buy a new one!

To Tilt or not to tilt - that is the question. I don't have a tilt model and don't think I've missed it!

You might want to thin your choices down a bit. you're in danger of starting all out war with different opinions as it is! If it was my money, the ones I'd drop immediately are all the BSAs except the Super Ten (check out Secret Agent Mole's; it's epic) and the R10 Mk 2. The others are fine guns, but with that amount of cash, you could get a lot more gun!

Ryan, thanks for reminding me!I need to update that signature. I now have a Mark IVis, which is still very new for me to tell, but when zeroing in, it took ten shots that were progressively tighter, then the next 10 were all inside a 5p piece at 35yds, so i'm not complaining thus far! I had the Air ranger for a bit, but didn't get on with it. It grouped well enough - eventually - but I found it a bit too heavy and a bit cumbersome once it had a scope and a bipod on it. Shot count is superb: 350 from a 400cc bottle is pretty impressive, but it wasn't my cup of tea, You'd be able to pick up a Daystate huntsman for that kind of money and the guy of of whom i bought my Mk IV was going back to one of those, as he loved it so much!

Build quality of all Daystates is superb! And their customer service is very good should things go awry. Are they worth the money at full price? Hmmm, I don't know. However because of the build quality they last forever, so a second hand Daystate is still going to be a great choice!

I have a HW100kt .177 & it's 10 x better than the Daystate Air Ranger it replaced !!

I used to have a AA410 & it to was better than the Daystate for hunting/general use.

Personally I find the Daystates over rated & overpriced.

But that's just me !!!

would have to disagree with the last post,,i have the AAs410 and the daystate huntsman classic,,both in .22,,the huntsman walks all over the AAs410 although it is a fantastic gun,,I have used the HW100 and although it is a superb piece of kit i found it too heavy to lump round all day, the build quality of it is german engineering at its best,,i would certainly disagree that the HW100 is better than the Air Ranger ,, in my opinion the daystate huntsman speaks for itself it is a truely awsome Air Rifle in ,177 and ,22 ,it is light,,has a good shot count and is certainly built to last,the AAs410 is not in the same build quality league as the huntsman,,but if you cant afford a huntsman then the s410 is a great gun

good luck with your choice

Personally, I'd much rather have a Versapod or clone thereof.

Oh, and if you get a PCP, buy a bottle *and* a pump.

Regards,

Mark.

why wood you want a pump as well there a waste of time within a week you will be gutted with pump buy a 3 ltr bottle will do more than you need not heavy 2 seconds to fill gun its a no brainer

Edited by swiss.tony

why wood you want a pump as well there a waste of time within a week you will be gutted with pump buy a 3 ltr bottle will do more than you need not heavy 2 seconds to fill gun its a no brainer

With a pump and in a hurry you can find that you are getting your pcp serviced more often than necessary ; heat and vibration generated in pumping can heat up those sensitive bits leading to part failure

ryan,,,,,could i ask what you will be using your air rifle for ??? ie,,hunting,target shooting,,or anything else,,my advise would be,,go to a decent gun shop and have a feel of the guns you cant beat handling them and seeing how they are built and also mounting the guns,,, :good:

I wouldnt bother with the TDR. They are a nice idea but in practise a waste of time. Do you really want to have to assemble your gun everytime you take it out then dismantle it again at the end of the day? Your`d be better off with just a normal aa410. Id go for a carbine as they are lighter and you still get more shots than you`ll need on a hunting trip out of it. The 510 is nice, but not sure its worth the extra money over a 410.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Daystate Huntsman FTR and it so accurate it just amazes me every time i shoot the gun.

Have a look at Hatsans web site the AT 44 and the BT65 are both excellent.

The AT 44 10 W comes with 2 x 10 shot mags Air gauge and a Walther match barrel so very accurate. £300 new.

The BT 65 is the same spec as the 44 but bigger its a big beast of a gun and very accurate. £400 new.

Leaves plenty for a scope and a Air bottle. Go for a bottle so your filling your gun with dry clean air.

I have a Daystate Huntsman FTR and it so accurate it just amazes me every time i shoot the gun.

Have a look at Hatsans web site the AT 44 and the BT65 are both excellent.

The AT 44 10 W comes with 2 x 10 shot mags Air gauge and a Walther match barrel so very accurate. £300 new.

The BT 65 is the same spec as the 44 but bigger its a big beast of a gun and very accurate. £400 new.

Leaves plenty for a scope and a Air bottle. Go for a bottle so your filling your gun with dry clean air.

Well said NS