dog losing weight

tikka tom

my 2year old springer spaniel has been doging in day in day out most of these year and now its come to the shooting season shes gone really thin on the back end. Im feeding her more than she normal gets but shes not puting much on. how can i build her up would feeding her pasta or rice with her food help?

Cold will drop the weight, as will a lot of work.

The quality of what you put in will have a big impact, I have tried many dried foods and can't see past Arden Grange (Berriewood wholesale online). You could find yourself doubling rations to get weight on, if that is the case I would add fat also.

Protein is where its at rice and pasta would be no use, chicken or get a higher protein food. Its pretty usual to drop weight through the season mine seems to drop visibly each day out, in a way you have a sleeker working machine and being on the lighter side is better for them than carrying excess so unless the dog is really thin then I wouldn't worry too much. Some you just can't get enough food in to get them to put weight on if they are working that hard.

try feeding her a cpl of times a day. my food bill for the dog doubles in the winter.

I have four dogs in one kennel that helps keeps them warm, two labs a springer and an old whippet but I still worry there are not warm enough after a days work.

I do also have a tube heater on a frost stat.

A dog in a kennel uses a lot of food just keeping warm in the winter

Edited by Actionpigeons

my mates spaniel is just the same...one of my male labs is like that, he has an almost spaniel tempermant, i tried everything of the above, but found the most effective way to increase body weight was to feed him 3 times/day, normally i do 2..early in the morning and then at 6 at night..so we now feed him at 12 as well and after a week he started to lose rib and his hips filled in...try it ! if that dosnt work you have lots of advice on the other posts...........

When you say you feed her more how much more?

My lab dog gets nearly double portions the day before and on the day he's working. I've also increased his food by 50% every other day since he's kenneled out and the cold takes it toll. He's not hard worked, but trains/exercises everyday in total for an hour everyday. I find that he loses weight quicker than he puts in on at this time of year so I think it's better to give him larger portions regularly and then cut back occasionally than try to feed the right amount.

On a regular day at this time of year he gets 2 1/2 - 3 heinz bean tin full of Wagg worker divided into two servings on a working day he'll get 4 tins divided into 2 servings.

During warmer months he gets 2 tins.

ATB,

Lee

yes ive used wagg gundog, think its 23% protien....i dont overfeed the dogs when doing 3 times/day, i give the dog what it normally says , i sort of judge it as to what the size of the stomach is, as i soak the for in hot water before feeding, not boiling water as this can destroy some of the goodness in the food, the thing is not to overload the dogs stomach by feeding it more on its usual meals, just add another feed time in the middle of its normal feed time...it will take a few days to see the difference, but it works for me.

the other posts are full of good ideas what works for their dogs, the fact is spaniels burn bodyweight off like nothin on earth !...when i work my dogs during the season, i never work them 2 days running...thats why i have 6 working dogs, i work them in pairs.

you are feeding your spaniel more that i give my labs !....is you dog a big springer ?...then i suggest 4-5 tin fulls over three meals..but let it soak in hot water as it will bulk up by 50%............try it

PM me to let me know how you get on.....