Its all very quiet

turbo33

Its all very wierd here in the south. A few weeks ago the pigeons were on the move flying south in large flocks and a few good groups starting on the rape. Pretty much overnight ( because I had a days shoot planned with Bluebarrels) they disappeared. :hmm:

I do a reasonably high mileage each week for my work out in the sticks and obviously see a lot of farmland. The birds have mysteriously vanished, save for one or two on clover. Now last year everyone said they were in the woods on acorns and beech mast. Personally, I didn't find that was the case round here. This year there are no acorns or beech mast to speak of. So where are they :hmm:

Edited by turbo33

There are some very large flocks around my part of Kent.

They seem to be off the berries and hitting the rape hard, but are very spooky (as large flocks tend to be).

The wet ground has prevented a lot of Winter drilling and so some planned rape fields will now be Spring wheat/barley.

Hopefully, the fewer rape rape fields will help concentrate the birds.

After last years relative no-show, i am seeing birds everywhere. On old summer stubbles and mountains of birds hitting the rape.

I saw a field with the biggest flock i have ever seen whilst driving through aylesbury. I was expecting the same as last year and was more or less expecting just to be going out for the fresh air and excercise, but i've a feeling it could be busy this winter!!!

In my area, (Herts), they're hitting the rape hard because of the complete lack of acorns or beech mast.

Cat.

Yes Cat, there's plenty about, it's getting them in the bag I'm struggling with. Good fields, lots of birds have been there for days, nice wind, invisible hide. I get set up and the first few groups come straight in, Left & Rights, magic, "here we go". Then the next few groups head straight in but at 40-50 yards they just drift out, not spooked but not happy. No more L&R's, just tricky long shots for a while. Nothing has changed. Then, COMPLETE INDIFFERENCE, no more shooting. I usually end up with about a dozen from really promising fields. Swapping the pattern about doesn't help, it was perfect to start.......

Are you finding it any better??

PS I LOVE your Cat image.

Yes Cat, there's plenty about, it's getting them in the bag I'm struggling with. Good fields, lots of birds have been there for days, nice wind, invisible hide. I get set up and the first few groups come straight in, Left & Rights, magic, "here we go". Then the next few groups head straight in but at 40-50 yards they just drift out, not spooked but not happy. No more L&R's, just tricky long shots for a while. Nothing has changed. Then, COMPLETE INDIFFERENCE, no more shooting. I usually end up with about a dozen from really promising fields. Swapping the pattern about doesn't help, it was perfect to start.......

Are you finding it any better??

PS I LOVE your Cat image.

Hi Kitch,

I've had 3 days of 100 + birds over Rape recently, with other days between 60 - 80 birds.

So, where are you going wrong..??

OK, let's pre-suppose your hide set up is OK, what about deeks...??, I've recently switched to the flocked shell version and I find they work really well, very often I don't bother with the pegs, just place 'em on the ground.

My old full bodied Flexicoys and Double H deeks are now gathering dust in the garage.

Do you put out every bird as you shoot it, the more birds are in your pattern, the better the others will commit, but you MUST keep the "kill zone" free 15 - 30 yards from the hide otherwise they'll start landing out of range on the edge of the pattern.

A rotary is an absolute must for decoying over Winter Rape, put 2 of them out if you can carry them, it really does make all the difference, but keep them close to the hide as birds will invariably come in to try and land just downwind of them.

I also try and block off nearby fields with other guns or banger ropes to stop the birds from jumping in there, which they are very apt to do, this is vitally important if you want a decent bag, it's a bit of a fag to do, but worth it as you will find that birds will keep coming back to your patch if you keep them on the move in the area.

Good luck, let us know how you get on next time out, there's certainly no shortage of birds up your way, I see thousands everytime I drive from Royston to Baldock, and you even got stubbles left up there, unheard of down my way...!!

Cat.

Hi Kitch,

I've had 3 days of 100 + birds over Rape recently, with other days between 60 - 80 birds.

So, where are you going wrong..??

OK, let's pre-suppose your hide set up is OK, what about deeks...??, I've recently switched to the flocked shell version and I find they work really well, very often I don't bother with the pegs, just place 'em on the ground.

My old full bodied Flexicoys and Double H deeks are now gathering dust in the garage.

Do you put out every bird as you shoot it, the more birds are in your pattern, the better the others will commit, but you MUST keep the "kill zone" free 15 - 30 yards from the hide otherwise they'll start landing out of range on the edge of the pattern.

A rotary is an absolute must for decoying over Winter Rape, put 2 of them out if you can carry them, it really does make all the difference, but keep them close to the hide as birds will invariably come in to try and land just downwind of them.

I also try and block off nearby fields with other guns or banger ropes to stop the birds from jumping in there, which they are very apt to do, this is vitally important if you want a decent bag, it's a bit of a fag to do, but worth it as you will find that birds will keep coming back to your patch if you keep them on the move in the area.

Good luck, let us know how you get on next time out, there's certainly no shortage of birds up your way, I see thousands everytime I drive from Royston to Baldock, and you even got stubbles left up there, unheard of down my way...!!

Cat.

Thanks for this Cat. As you say, what is wrong??

The hide is tiny, well hidden (I can't find my way back!!) One 1 magnet, 1 flapper, about 12 flocked shells. Yesterday's dead birds in cradles. Good landing zone. Banger ropes and flags IF allowed by gamekeepers - usually not allowed anywhere near game cover. Killed birds added on cocktail sticks to keep the head up.

I know I can't cover all the other fields, there's loads of rape for them to choose. It's just the way their reaction changes that gets me. Initially they are STRAIGHT in, soon they start pulling out at 40-50 yds, then they become TOTALLY indifferent to my setup. I've tried pulling the plastics in, changing layout, but all to no avail

10-15 is all I am able to get. Are they using Facebook?????!!!

Now what??

John