Making a stock

turbo33

I found quite a nice piece of wood in the back of the workshop, and thought I might have a go at making a stock to go on my HMR. So spent the afternoon roughing it out and getting a basic looking stock out of it. A long way to go yet. :yes:

I will use it as a rainy day project, doing a bit at a time, so I dont expect it to be finished any time soon :lol: Anyway, pics here of progress.

post-14901-0-54771300-1355072967_thumb.jpg

post-14901-0-63310300-1355072600_thumb.jpg

post-14901-0-11637500-1355072990_thumb.jpg

Edited by turbo33

I might be wrong, but i seem to remember oak isnt a good choice of stock wood, something to do with the oils in it and rusting the gun?

Your're probably right, I know walnut would be the first choice, but this is what was around. Its very old/dry and I will seal it to make sure there's no risk in damaging the rifle. This is very much a try out. If it works out ok, I might buy a nice piece of walnut and make one with the lessons learnt on this test piece.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All is not lost if the oak is sealed it will not cause any rust. to seal the stock I made from oak I bedded the action free floating the barrel by taping the barrel result epoxy sealed inletting. as for the weight of oak it is about 42lb a cubic foot with walnut about the same and beech lighter..It would be a shame not to finish after the work put in so far.