milage allowance

foxnet22

i start a new job this week and will be travelling 60 mile a day return journey in my own van to get to work.i understand the rate is 45p per mile fuel allowance would i be entitled to claim this and if so is it a matter of a yearly tax return to claim this travel allowance .greatfull for any advise cheers.oh and the title should read mileage allowance .

Edited by foxnet22

You can claim even if you are employed providing the site or office to which you are traveling will be less then one year as its deemed to be temporary the rate is 45p for the first 10000, miles and 25p thereafter. Keep a log of your mileage both commuting and private and retain your VAT fuel receipt then at the year end in April request a form from you local tax office im unsure of its number and make your claim and they will issue you a check. Also you can claim uprose ten pound per day subsistence and six pounds per day parking with out providing any receipts. This only applies if the place of work is tempt

You can claim even if you are employed providing the site or office to which you are traveling will be less then one year as its deemed to be temporary the rate is 45p for the first 10000, miles and 25p thereafter. Keep a log of your mileage both commuting and private and retain your VAT fuel receipt then at the year end in April request a form from you local tax office im unsure of its number and make your claim and they will issue you a check. Also you can claim uprose ten pound per day subsistence and six pounds per day parking with out providing any receipts. This only applies if the place of work is tempt

Doesn't that depend on what your contractural place of employment is? i.e. if you are employed out of the office 60 miles away you can't claim the allowance regardless of the tenure. Not sure what that means if you are employed out of an office 10 miles away but have to travel to another office 60 miles away. I would expect my employer to play the allowance in that case!

If your classed as home based in your job you can claim every mile. If you are based at a site, then you can claim for your onward journey from that site, or if you are going in the opposite direction you can claim the journey less your normal travel distance to site. The rates are on the HMRC website and I think this year it was 40p for the first 10k then 25p thereafter. Any payments for mileage you receive from your employer offsets against what you claim from the revenue. So if you company pays you 30p per mile then you are only claiming tax on the delta 15p.

there are 2 different ways of claimiing it back one is a self assessment the other is a lot simpler form but I can't remember its number. Takes 10 mins max to claim it back and well worth doing.

Be VERY careful here. HMRC are having a big crackdown on a lot of these.

If self-employed, then you should be able to claim for mileage

But, by the fact that you have asked this question, it sounds like you are an employee.

If so, then you really need to speak to someone (either in your company, an accountant, or at HMRC) to double check. Get the answer in writing.

Watch out for a lot of these 'service companies' (especially agency work) as they give lots of disclaimers as to tax liability, you can end up paying their fees and still paying the tax at a later date

the rate only varies if it is an 'advisory fuel rate' issued by HMRC, you can still claim back the difference between the afr claimed from your employer for fuel and the 45p per mile.

edit - this is presuming that you are using your own car for business use (not a company car). If you are claiming mileage back for fuel in a company car - it would generally have to be at the HMRC 'advisory' rates.

Edited by pegasus bridge

I get 34p per mile TAX FREE. I do over 600 miles a week and make a shed load, costs me 15p per mile.

Our rule, not sure if it's hmrc tho.. Is if we work from the office we claim from there onward, if we work from home we start at home. I live 40 miles from our office so I tend not to go there much!!

Ask your employer. It's their duty to help you out, if not, scream company car at them! (£300 car, £150 insurance, in my case £500 fuel ish)

P87 available from the HMRC website. Submitted at the end if every tax year. You can go back 6 years if you've not claimed before for relief on an expense you've incurred through work.

I work from home and have been submitting them for a few years now. It does make a difference!