Scrap a gun

Drayman

ALWAYS get the paperwork for anything like this:

I always make a copy and Register it at the post office for SENDING information to the F/A/D::

I got a letter from mine some years back stating I had not informed them:: told them I had DATED Copy and Registration from the post office..

Funny it all went quiet: :hmm:

It goes without saying that you should be very sure of what you are scrapping. There is a chance that you might be scrapping something which is worth something if even only for the parts. If it works and is safe then why not give it to someone who could use it and may be strapped for cash?

J.

It goes without saying that you should be very sure of what you are scrapping. There is a chance that you might be scrapping something which is worth something if even only for the parts. If it works and is safe then why not give it to someone who could use it and may be strapped for cash?

J.

Thanks for the replies - always helpful to check when folks have been through this before..

I bought the gun a while ago via a forum member - it was advertised through the forum but the description was 'somewhat economical'. Turned out the gun is not completely tight on the face. Other than that it has very good barrels and works but I feel it needs fixing. I've put it down to experience but won't be going that route again. I'm going to the gunsmith later this week to get a price to fix (not a difficult fix in the right hands) but suspect I will be better off putting the money to another gun. That will probably leave me with a gun that's not wanted, unless the shop wants it. We'll see what happens but I fully expect to be scrapping it. You live and learn!

and remind me if there are any penalties for selling a gun that is out of proof etc, if its as described I'd be surprised if it was a good idea to pass onto anyone other than a rfd

The barrels are well within proof - that's the first thing I had the RFD check when it arrived at his shop (it was RFD'd to a local shop), but he pointed out the movement on the face. It doesn't show with the fore end on the gun, only when you take it off, and it's not that much but it is there. His description at the time was "probably OK for now but needs to be fixed for the future". I would only pass it on to someone if I gave them all the details, unlike the original seller, hence my question about scrapping it. The gunsmith may surprise me and come in with a good price, but somehow life isn't generally like that. I'll know later this week but I wanted to be in a knowledgeable position when I make the decision on what to do with it.

Cheers.

The barrels are well within proof - that's the first thing I had the RFD check when it arrived at his shop (it was RFD'd to a local shop), but he pointed out the movement on the face. It doesn't show with the fore end on the gun, only when you take it off, and it's not that much but it is there. His description at the time was "probably OK for now but needs to be fixed for the future". I would only pass it on to someone if I gave them all the details, unlike the original seller, hence my question about scrapping it. The gunsmith may surprise me and come in with a good price, but somehow life isn't generally like that. I'll know later this week but I wanted to be in a knowledgeable position when I make the decision on what to do with it.

Cheers.

What is the gun?, most can have hinge bolts, stub bolts or in the case of ta beretta, stub u bolts or action fences replaced to effect a retightening. this will probably be worth doing providing the gun isn't a hatsan !

If nothing else its a gun full of spare parts to someone ! dont give it to the police to illegally resell :lol: recycle into drain covers.

Edited by Canis

What is the gun?, most can have hinge bolts, stub bolts or in the case of ta beretta, stub u bolts or action fences replaced to effect a retightening. this will probably be worth doing providing the gun isn't a hatsan !

If nothing else its a gun full of spare parts to someone ! dont give it to the police to illegally resell :lol: recycle into drain covers.

Its a side lock SxS Zabala. There's a very good one on Gunstar for £500 so this one is going to be worth considerably less! I'll see what the smith says.

and remind me if there are any penalties for selling a gun that is out of proof etc, if its as described I'd be surprised if it was a good idea to pass onto anyone other than a rfd

If there is ever any question of a gun being out of proof it can be given away, which is perfectly legal and that's what I suggested if it is otherwise going to go for scrap.

Its a side lock SxS Zabala. There's a very good one on Gunstar for £500 so this one is going to be worth considerably less! I'll see what the smith says.

Prices can vary quite a bit, if it's not economical to repair it then let someone off here take it. I know a gun smith who is almost retired, he does a great job and charges hardly anything.

I'm sure that someone on here will be able to take it if needed and get it fixed for a reasonable cost, giving them a nice gun that would otherwise be wasted.

No, I don't want or need it, but someone here will probably find a good home for it.

Even if 'considerably less' equates to fifty quid then it's fifty quid more than scrapping it and considering that it will probably cost you a couple of quid to drive it to the cops or an RFD it's fifty two quid less than scrapping it.

J.

A gun thats off its face is not out of proof. every gun is off its face (its all a matter of degree) and its usually quite an easy job to restore it. It doesn't make the gun dangerous. All they do is put a bit of weld on the pivot point and re-file it. It was usually a job to give to the apprentice back in the days when there was an apprentice. Idiots and bodgers use a centrepunch which lasts no time at all.

Do not scrap the gun!!! and do not believe the dealer if he tells you it can't easily be fixed. Some dealers are just sharks who will "take it off your hands sir" then fix it and out it themselves for a few hundred quid. I hate dealers sometimes. when my friend Greg died suddenly a few years ago the police took his guns to a local dealer. Among them was a Browning O/U that was immaculate, I reckon it had 400 cartridges through it from new at the most. I would put it around £2000- £2,300 trade in. His wife knew nothing about guns. I heard much later she got £500 for four shotguns including the browning and an AYA no 4 plus two others I never saw so I have no idea what they were. But Greg was a hospital consultant and Greek. He didn't buy anything that wasn't top notch. guns were status and swagger to him. It could have been a cased pair of Hollands or Purdeys for all I know.

Also, in all my life I have never heard of anyone ever getting prosecuted for selling an out of proof gun. A law against it does exist on the statute books but it must be one of the most redundant laws imaginable.

Edited by Vince Green

so many guns, how sad is that.

The story went that alot of owners bent their own barells before handing them in so no one could sell one on - just had no faith or trust in their government.

Someone posted a video on here once of them being cut up with a bench disc cutter - brought tears to my eyes !