.17hmr ammo choices?

Just got my FAC and brought myself a new Anshutz 1517 with LEI mod and am all happy with that, also picked up Hornady 17grn V Max ammo as they said its the most popular used.

What's the next most popular? Would like to try a few different ones just out of curiosity, also which ones to def avoid!

3 bunnies on the first night after a quick walk around, pretty happy with that!

Cheers peeps

All HMR ammo is made in the same factory and rebranded apart from winchester, cant see you getting that much differance whatever you use, one of the shooting mags did a test and found the CCI 20g hollowpoint to be the best but it may not be in your rifle.

Just got my FAC and brought myself a new Anshutz 1517 with LEI mod and am all happy with that, also picked up Hornady 17grn V Max ammo as they said its the most popular used.

What's the next most popular? Would like to try a few different ones just out of curiosity, also which ones to def avoid!

3 bunnies on the first night after a quick walk around, pretty happy with that!

Cheers peeps

It isn't a popularity contest, the reason 17g V-Max is widely used is simply that as a vermin tool that is without doubt the best generally suited ammo. For other quarry/target you may find a better suited round.

As regards what flies best out of your barrel, that could be a different story!

:good:

All HMR ammo is made in the same factory and rebranded apart from winchester, cant see you getting that much differance whatever you use, one of the shooting mags did a test and found the CCI 20g hollowpoint to be the best but it may not be in your rifle.

That's interesting as Winchesters are the clear winners in my Weihrauch. I can't see that Remington and Hornady are the same. Hornadys group nice and tight but throw fliers. Remingtons are all over the place.

That's interesting as Winchesters are the clear winners in my Weihrauch. I can't see that Remington and Hornady are the same. Hornadys group nice and tight but throw fliers. Remingtons are all over the place.

They aren't the same, as such, but they are all produced in the same factory by CCI. There was a recent story of .17HMR brass splitting on firing and a product warning was issued. In that warning it was specifically stated that it applied to everying apart from Winchester as that was the only one not made in that factory. They all (apaprt from Winchester) use the same brass.

J.