motherline

contrysports

http://www.tidepool.co.uk/product.php?productID=395&subcatID=17

anyone got any opinions on these as looking to buy a new decoying rig. already have 4 mallard decoys on oder now i need the winder. also do i just need weights or do i have to use clips and anchors too?

all advice much appreciated.

also how long do you expect this line to last in saltwater?

cheers.

The clips work well. Look on ebay or in your local fishing tackle shop to compare prices.

The tangle free line I`m not so impressed with. It has significant memory which often causes it to kink up like a telephone handset cable and you can`t tie knots in it.

For a mother line I use cheap black polypropylene rope of about a quarter inch thickness. Being quite thick it rarely kinks or knots and in the unlikely event that it does, it can be easily undone, even with frozen hands. Being of three strand construction you can also splice loops in the end for anchors etc.

I have had trouble with the tangle free line. I didnt want to cough up more money for the crimps he sells.

I have used small cut sections of aluminium pipe as crimps for the tangle free line. The pipe was an old power steering cooling loop from a passat. Cut 1cm sections with hacksaw and crimp lines with pliers.

I have used the Tidepool motherline and was surprised how good it was, holding the bottom in a strong tidal flow. My only gripe was it got quite heavy when wet. A cheaper option is to use braded nylon , the same as kids use for crab lines. It does not tangle easily and despite being orange the duck never seem to notice it. But it needs replacing every 2-3 years and its getting a hell of a job to get hold of it. But you will need a loop as a shock leader or it may break as you swing the lead out. I 8 inch loop of bailer twine will do the trick attched to the lead.

I can sum up the Tidepool clips to attach the decoys to the mother line in one word - Brilliant. Cold hands will no longer be a problem when unclipping decoys with these.

Edited by anser2

A cheaper option is to use braded nylon , the same as kids use for crab lines. It does not t

angle easily and despite being orange the duck never seem to notice it. But it needs replacing every 2-3 years and its getting a hell of a job to get hold of it.

I use the same stuff for my individually rigged decoys - I got it a few years ago on a large roll in a building and farm supplies place.

Edited by Big Al

You can buy the Mainline rope from cabelas in large spools, the clips are used by commercial long liners (but also available from Cabelas in bulk), few cable ties to prevent deeks slipping in stronger flows and a couple of my own mud screws and your away. Far less money than a bought rig and can be tailored to your own needs.

TIP; aquakeel deeks don't surf like weighted keels in stronger flows