Goose shooting, Montrose Basin.

Fal

A friend and I have just returned from 3 days shooting in Montrose, quick write up below.

Arrived in Montrose after a very long drive from South Wales on Sunday night at 22:30, we dumped our kit in the room, then off straight to look for the car park which was only 2 mins drive away from our room. Our first days shooting was on the Monday morning, I hadn’t slept with excitement for 2 days before Sunday night. Sunday night was no different. After about an hours sleep, my alarm was going at 6am, I have never been so happy to get up early in all my life.

We kitted up and made our way to the car park, where we were met by the warden who advised us the best place to go. We followed his instructions and off we went. We took about 30 mins to get into position, by this time the wind had picked up nicely, along with driving rain.

It didn’t stay for too long. By the time the Geese had got up there was hardly any wind at all. One pack of Geese got up and were heading directly towards me, here we go I thought. Safety off, stood up and decided against shooting as I thought they were just out of shotgun range. Every other goose that flew over our heads were way too high, averaging 60-70 yards. Then it was time to get off, we had to be off by 10.15am. So a long walk back to the car park, we were more than happy with the amount of Geese we had seen.

We were allowed back on the marsh at 14.15pm so off for food, back to the room and back out on the marsh. Keen is not the word to describe how keen I was. Evening was slightly different to the morning, all the Geese were coming in way, way too high. Few duck flew past us but it was so dark by the time they had started flighting we didn’t get any.

Second morning, up we got the same time and out onto the marsh, different position this time. Again hardly any wind at all, we kind of knew our chances would be slim this time out. Again birds got up off the basin, which is an unreal sight to watch even without shooting the noise is amazing. They done a few circles and over our heads, all we could do was film them on our mobiles. Knowing that the Wednesday morning would be my last realistic chance of a Goose I was really hoping and praying for some really bad wind.

I went out in the night, but pretty much the same loads of Geese all too high, few chances at some duck but didn’t bother taking shot. I wanted a Goose, badly.

Tuesday night I just laid in bed awake all night praying for rain, wind, even a tornado. About 3am I could hear the wind howling and the rain bashing the window. Excellent I thought, just to make sure I checked my kit for the 100th time, and believe it or not, it was all still as I put it 2 hours before.

Wednesday morning came, I was ready to go before the alarm went off, butterflies in my stomach itching to get out.

As we were walking over to the marsh the wind and rain was driving into our faces, I thought to myself if they are high in all this wind, my goose just wasn’t meant to be.

We got out onto the marsh, down on my belly, 3 1/2 42g Gamebore Mammoth BB's into the gun, facemask on and down I got. It was early, no Geese had moved until about 8:15ish am. I could hear all the Geese the other side of the Basin. At around 8:30 the first lots of Geese got up, well in range, they couldn’t get up because of the wind, all I needed was one bunch to come my way and surely I would get a shot. It seemed like I was there for a day not one hour before my chance came along.

I could hear a bunch to my right, I peered through my face mask, I could see about 15 Geese coming my way. Top end of shotgun range, but defiantly in range, I clipped the safety off kept looking without moving a muscle, they kept coming closer and closer until they were just out in front of me. I got up onto my knees as quickly as I could, give a bird I had singled out a mile of lead, he didn’t budge, I kept swinging pulled further in front and pulled the trigger. The Goose fell. I couldn’t believe my luck, the sense of relief and joy was unreal. Best moment since I have been shooting by far. Couldn’t ask for more, stone dead, a head and neck shot. Turns out it was a Greylag in amongst a group of pinks.

Photo below, I will 100% be going back next year, I will never, ever forget Wednesday 19th December 2012. I think you can see from the picture below I am one happy welsh man.

post-51022-0-45737100-1356032878_thumb.jpg

Well done mate you will always remember your first goose & it looked like you worked hard for it so good on you ! & a great write up , keep it up . :good:

ps mine was a Canada in Norfolk years ago & I never forgot it & I also felt sad for it too ! , strange things humans ! :hmm:

pps I forgot to say I am glad you got a goose before the world ends at midnight ! :lol: :lol:

Edited by Pole Star

Thanks guys! I am still buzzing about the whole thing, an unbelievable experience. I wish I was still there now, I have never been so tired and achy in all my life.

I agree with you all, even with high numbers of Geese in an area they are certainly not a given. Anyone that goes out regularly for Geese deserve each one they get.

I can honestly say I have found another addiction.

• 2 weeks later...