Which 10 bore?

wildfowler.250

Right I'd thought I'd pick some brains on which of the two makes of shotgun I'm currently looking at is better.

I'm keen on the Lincoln as it is an over and under but I have heard mixed reports with regards to the gun rusting, stock cracking and triggers/barrel selection not working well. I have also noticed that the guns were something like £350 new and now they seem to be going for around double that ???

I'm also keen on the AYA 10 bore. I haven't heard much about these guns,(assuming that is a good thing). They seem to retail around £700. Does that seem like a reasonable price? I notice some people have had the ejectors removed which makes sense. Would you dodge these guns that have been 'tampered' with or not worry?

Cheers!

There is a few on gunstar, have a look. If it were me I would agree with ayano3 and go with an AYA, this one looks good http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Shotgun/AYA-Matador-gun-for-sale-gs81440.aspx

I had a Zabala 10 bore a few years back and hated it, it was a horrible shaped gun, the stock was far too low and it kicked like a mule. I know a 10 will kick but this thing seemed to kick twice as much as the purdy 10 bore I shot with last year.

The thing that put me off of the 10 bore which probably wont affect you was the only shells I could get for it up here was all no4 shot, I was better off with the 12 and BB.

Many ten bore guns are past their best having been used and abused in some of the worst environments you can put mechanical goods and steel. Some have been held captive in the backs of cabinets and seen very little use. You will have little issue with any brand if its one of the latter. Watch out for sawn off chokes its better to buy one that's been correctly bored for non -toxic or left untouched that you might alter yourself. I have a Zabala it suits me well though I had to alter the cast a fair bit to get it to shoot straight, this should not be taken against the model as its something I often struggle with due to my shape being non-std. I had the chokes altered from full and extra full to 1/2 and 1/2 and during the summer I will re-finish the stock correctly following my alteration to the cast. The bluing on the barrels was damaged by the previous owner but the bores are great, the gun is tight and I seriously doubt its done 250 shells in its past life. The bluing will also be re-done when I finish the stock. I don't like o/u guns as they break open too deeply for fast and efficient shell changes, ejectors are largely a hindrance and cause of trouble on the marsh, semi auto a non starter as I wish to keep the fired shells to re-load not spit them into the mud and saltwater. As with all guns though buy what feels right to you, a nice ex-captive AYA would be a nice find

Edited by kent

Cheers for the replies guys! I have a basque sbs at the moment but I'm not particularly enamoured with it,(friend has one and loves it). I have been watching gunstar and guntrader quite a lot just to see what's available. I use the ten inland with lead where the geese are passing over but on the high side. The rest of the time I use the 12. Plus it's sometimes nice to use a 'proper' gun.

Cheers for the help again. Looks like the AYA is a popular choice.

The Lincoln Over and unders were sadly not all created equal, the late 80s early 90s lincolns were made by rizzini, and were quite good quality had a selective triger and ussualy came with no sling swivels.

Now my reason for mentioning the swivels, some time in the 1993 /94 period from memory, Nickerson started marketing a slightly different 10bore over and under, it did come with sling swivels and it had a shalower more squared off action to the earlyer Rizzini guns, and was a muck cruder constructed shotgun and i knew of one that gave issue straight off from new and never was totaly reliable.

So you want to be looking for the right lincoln, the Rizzini made ones. I think they will be getting thin on the ground now though.

The AYA matador is not as robustly constructed as your basque and it is considerably lighter, the ballance and handling is much better though and they handle allmost as good as a game gun, and wuld be my choice in double barrel 10bore. There were a few san marco over and under 10bores about back in the day, these were typicaly middle of the road italian quality and probably a little better quality than the rizzini Lincolns, but finding one may be a problem.

Edited by B B

Thank you very much for the informative reply BB. Really appreciate it. I think I will go and handle one of the AYAs and see how it fits. I have heard enough stories of minor problems with the lincoln to put me off. As you mentioned, the basque is a good solid gun. I am just at that stage where I want a new 'toy' I think.

Cheers again!

Thank you very much for the informative reply BB. Really appreciate it. I think I will go and handle one of the AYAs and see how it fits. I have heard enough stories of minor problems with the lincoln to put me off. As you mentioned, the basque is a good solid gun. I am just at that stage where I want a new 'toy' I think.

Cheers again!

The Rizzini Lincolns are ok on reliability, about the only thing i had go wrong was it broke the cocking spur off the rear of the forend iron, but the 12bore Lincoln no 2 cocking spur is a direct replacement and only minor gunsmithing to instal/ file to correct length to cock and not over reach the mechanisum is required..

I am perhaps offering advice you may no want here, but keep or sell the basque depenting how much you need the money and save up for a Browning gold 10 or the SP- 10 . you get multi choke versatility and reducd felt recoil, and if you go for the light gold 10 you get a slick handling shotgun for a 10 bore that i think you will like. Just my opinion here.

Ive had several tens and am in the process of doing an over and under up chokes taken out , reproof , etc but gone this far and don;t think i want it .anyway why are ejectors a pain on the marsh !!! never had any issues with mine, and i nearrly live on it ,in fact has helped me bag an extra goose when a quick reload is needed, but each to his own . anyway if its long range you want use some heavy shot will out shoot further than most can with with a ten . You get a lot of cartridges for the money of a ten . My brother has an aya ten and its a good gun , i've had both types of browning and a bps too they are a bit fussy on which shells they like {uproar from all the owners of gold tens now]. the sp 10 has afar better record on reliabilty . Bausque also did a ten which has a good record . i also had a zabala couldn't fault it . so the choice is yours.

Ive had several tens and am in the process of doing an over and under up chokes taken out , reproof , etc but gone this far and don;t think i want it .anyway why are ejectors a pain on the marsh !!! never had any issues with mine, and i nearrly live on it ,in fact has helped me bag an extra goose when a quick reload is needed, but each to his own . anyway if its long range you want use some heavy shot will out shoot further than most can with with a ten . You get a lot of cartridges for the money of a ten . My brother has an aya ten and its a good gun , i've had both types of browning and a bps too they are a bit fussy on which shells they like {uproar from all the owners of gold tens now]. the sp 10 has afar better record on reliabilty . Bausque also did a ten which has a good record . i also had a zabala couldn't fault it . so the choice is yours.

marlin 10, if you can get hold of one,ok, they might be bolt action but they,re prob the best handling out of all the 10s.craig

I've got a Lincoln over and under 10 bore and the safety is playing up. I'm not sure if it should be automatic or not, but it isn't! Just lately, it will not fire the second barrel until I have slid the safety back and forward again, but it will fire the second if I jar the stock as if it is an inertia problem. I didn't want to use steel loads in 12 bore barrels so I got a 10. I have gauge mates so that I can use 12 bore cartridges (Mammoth 42grm) in it. Cheaper option than buying 10 bore ammo! Rizzinni(Emel) do/did an O/U 10 with short barrels. 26in, I think, but I have never been able to find one.

I've got a Lincoln over and under 10 bore and the safety is playing up. I'm not sure if it should be automatic or not, but it isn't! Just lately, it will not fire the second barrel until I have slid the safety back and forward again, but it will fire the second if I jar the stock as if it is an inertia problem. I didn't want to use steel loads in 12 bore barrels so I got a 10. I have gauge mates so that I can use 12 bore cartridges (Mammoth 42grm) in it. Cheaper option than buying 10 bore ammo! Rizzinni(Emel) do/did an O/U 10 with short barrels. 26in, I think, but I have never been able to find one.

How do you get on with those chamber mates , had the same thoughts for a ten ive got , also do you get good patterns etc .

cheers jules

Its based on two things, 1. contamination creating complications 2. no gun actually needs ejectors other than one of a pair for driven grouse with loader in attendance. I like the auto 12 but I prefer not to bang up my ten bore cases or chuck them into gutters, mud and tide. So for me its a simple box lock non eject BUT its I personal choice for whoever it conserns

How do you get on with those chamber mates , had the same thoughts for a ten ive got , also do you get good patterns etc .

cheers jules

I've got the gold model that stay in the chamber as opposed to the silver model that you have to take out to remove the cartridge case. The lube that is supplied, usually holds the gauge mate in the chamber but not always, so it can be a bit of a nuisance in the dark. Reloading the case is not possible because they come out with a slight distortion. I've not patterned them on a plate, but they seem to be very tight out of the extra full chokes in the Lincoln barrels.

Its based on two things, 1. contamination creating complications 2. no gun actually needs ejectors other than one of a pair for driven grouse with loader in attendance. I like the auto 12 but I prefer not to bang up my ten bore cases or chuck them into gutters, mud and tide. So for me its a simple box lock non eject BUT its I personal choice for whoever it

thanks for the reply , i have never had a issue with ejectors but that might be ive been lucky , can't say the same about semi's though thats one of the reasons i use an over and under now ,got fed up with much in the workings and the magazine . If i want to save the cases i just put my hand over the ejectors and stop them coming out .

cheers all the best jules

I've got the gold model that stay in the chamber as opposed to the silver model that you have to take out to remove the cartridge case. The lube that is supplied, usually holds the gauge mate in the chamber but not always, so it can be a bit of a nuisance in the dark. Reloading the case is not possible because they come out with a slight distortion. I've not patterned them on a plate, but they seem to be very tight out of the extra full chokes in the Lincoln barrels.

cheers , they were the ones i was looking into , thought its a good way to get extra use out of your ten and i could practise with it on the woodies and not cos the earth.

cheers jules

cheers , they were the ones i was looking into , thought its a good way to get extra use out of your ten and i could practise with it on the woodies and not cos the earth.

cheers jules

When BASC caved in over the lead shot ban for wildfowling, I thought a 10 bore with non-toxic was the way to go. I always fancied the Ithaca S/A but never got one. Some of our club members have Browning S/As that they home load with hevi-shot for their annual visit to Wigtown. I might have some of the choke taken out of mine. I think open bores throw more even patterns and I don't reckon to fire at birds that would be outside 12 bore lead ranges anyway. I wish it wasn't quite so heavy to carry and swing! I think someone posted a comment about some guns having had their barrels shortened!

cheers jules

From what I remember, I couldn't get them direct from Gauge Mate because they wouldn't export firearm parts. I got them from Cabela's I think.