If you could have just one game cookery book ...

Big Al

I have a regular repertoire of game / wildfowl / pigeon cookery recipes but am always willing to try something different.

Problem is that any game cooking books I buy are full of recipes that are either too fiddly or have a list of ingredients as long as your arm and full of stuff I've never heard of.

I am hoping someone can recommend a book with simple tasty recipes for game that use ingredients that are normally found in kitchen cupboards.

Okay, this might not answer your question of "if you could have just one" but I really like Hugh Fernley Whittingstall's book, A cook on the wild side. It's perfect for using to prime girlfriends, wives or mothers in law to eat your squirrel or rabbit dish without thinking you're a weirdo. For some reason if Hugh or Ray Mears or Heston Bloominthingy eat it, it must be ok.

Okay, this might not answer your question of "if you could have just one" but I really like Hugh Fernley Whittingstall's book, A cook on the wild side. It's perfect for using to prime girlfriends, wives or mothers in law to eat your squirrel or rabbit dish without thinking you're a weirdo. For some reason if Hugh or Ray Mears or Heston Bloominthingy eat it, it must be ok.

I must admit that I like Hugh's rough and ready cookery style - it suits my own perfectly. I have got one of his books but its a bit light on game cookery.

However I havent seen that one yet. I will have a look at it. Thanks for the input.

Figgy

When I read your post my first thought was - "a chef with the same name as the former politician?"

Then I googled it and discovered it is the former politician.

Given what happened to his wife when the Grand Hotel in Brighton was blown up I suppose I shouldnt be surprised he can cook. After seeing the TV images of him being removed from the rubble, I always really respected him as a man (if not always as a politician) for picking up the pieces and keeping going after that.

Thanks for the post.

We've got Tebbit's book as well and I tend to use it as a good reference. He's obsessed with jacket potatoes with everything though!

Jo

The game cook book by Norman Tebbitt always gets good reveiws.

But I think I'd buy Clarrissa Dickson-Wrights game cook book. That ladey can cook and shoots them herself.

By I'm hungry now.

Figgy

I've got Clarrissa Dickson-Wrights one amongst a few, and i would highly recommend it. It's an interesting read apart from the recipes as well.

Including some uses for a Woodcock pin feather that i'd not hear of before! ;)

Thats another one for the wishlist then! Thanks for the reply.

I got the Angela Humphreys book today. It looks like what I was looking for - lots of simple tasty recipes with few ingredients. I made her pheasant burgers tonight - very tasty with just one addition - cajun spice mix.

Thanks for all your replies.

Edited by Big Al

• 2 months later...

if you want a good honest cheap homely and simple cook book i cant beat this one

http://www.countrymansweekly.com/order/1/cookbook

i see now there are 3 of em.... i have 1st one ...think ill buy the other 2

its as simple cooking as you can get and if you cant follow this cookbook you shouldnt be allowed in a kitchen!!

heheheheheheee

paul

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...