Wigeon on the Tay, a confession.

henry d

I had managed to get a bit of time to myself this week and have been down to the Tay at a well known port, but not much was passing near me, last night was the same with a boat load out in the reed beds just 300ish yds offshore. They managed a few shots and as it got dark they managed to call in a pack of wigeon and by the sounds of it got a few shots each. They then motored off to collect the birds, but seemed to be one missing and gave up after 5 minutes or so, the tide was ebbing quickly and there was a lot of flood water in the river. It was then that I heard and saw a cock wigeon slowly making its way into the reeds near me, I gave it a few minutes to get into the reeds and onto the sea wall and then went with the dog to see if I could collect it. She was on it and retrieved it in seconds.

Now if the guys had come ashore at the same time as I was packing away they would have had another duck between them, but they stayed as the geese were coming in the dark cloudless sky, so I took off with their bird to get the dog and myself thawed out.

Would you have done the same or waited?

Fair enough. Least you picked it.

Can I add a side question to this... If someone along the sea wall wings a goose and you shoot it after and bring it down, who's is it? Initial guy that shot it or yours because it would still be going if you hadn't shot at it?

I did that in scotland in October, I offered it to the guy who winged it but he insisted it was myne as I had brought it down and picked it.

I would always offer it to the person who hit it first, right or wrong I don't know but that's the way I have alwaus done it

Fair enough. Least you picked it.

Can I add a side question to this... If someone along the sea wall wings a goose and you shoot it after and bring it down, who's is it? Initial guy that shot it or yours because it would still be going if you hadn't shot at it?

The guy that hit it first as geese often bleed out and drop some way off, this wouldn't stop me giving it another shell as it passed though I should offer it to the guy who got the first into it. Finishing the cripple is everyone's responsibility regardless of fresh opportunities