panic/anxiety attacks

binman

any one suffer from or suffered from.

interested to hear your stories.

cheers, Steve

Lad who works for me has had a few in the van. First sign leg moving up and down then he opens window,starts rubbing his chest then face.

Quite scary i think it's my driving :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

i used to have panic attacks...never had them before, only had them for about 6 months then they stopped..

could just be watching TV then all of a sudden feel a tight chest and the room would start to close in on me...would honestly think i was going to pop my cloggs or somthing...just had to take deep breaths till it passed..

i put it down to buying 2 houses at the same time i think it was stressing me out, plus a few other things were going on so i put it down to that..

havent had one in 2 years now..

Get it checked if they are frequent for no apparent reason, I had them but dismissed them till a check at a new doctors revealed I had seriously low calcium, causing heart misfires, cramps and all the symptoms of a panic attack, if it wasn't sorted I possibly wouldn't be typing this.

Edited by deny essex

Friends have a lot of them and have really affected their lives for a long term, from being anxious ongoing shopping to vomiting when people talk to them. They can very deep seated and a result of life from many years ago, or a reaction to recent events.

They are not a sign of weakness in a person and with any illness, can be really serious if they are not treated.

Suffered on and off for years, never had any medication or help for them.

In my teen years I suffered numerous spontaneous pneumothorax. Were you lung collapses for no apparent reason, had both go at once one time. Was not well for a very long time despite three lots of surgery numerous chest drains etc.

Now in early thirties have had years of bouts of anxiety attacks luckily the hardcore panick attacks have stopped or at least for the last few years.

All the best

Karpman

I suffered with them for about 3 years in my early 20s it was brought on from me being in an accident in witch a lad was killed, then just as I was getting better the girl I was with ran off with a boy who worked for me that was a bit of a set back!! I couldn't eat in front of people and would be sick for no reason what so ever all my confidence was gone. Then I spoke to my gp and we got to the bottom of it and touch wood it hasn't come back in nearly 10 years, just remeber there's no shame in it and it can be treated. All the best thar

ive had them so bad i had to go and see a physciatrist for 1 hr sessions for 6 months,very frightening you think you going to die ect and the more you panic the harder it is to breath,i think with mine it was stress related,i still have them now but ive learned to deal with them but in the past ive been hospitalized on many occasion,wat i do if i feel 1 coming on get up and do something try and take your mind off it cos if you just sit there it will get worse and at the end of it your exausted ....mate i know wat you going through its not nice if you want any more info pm me mate,if i can help i will ......rgds mark

I've only ever had them before completing tax returns - its actually true and for me therefore it must have been related to stress, Now i'm retired they are simple and completed on line - so no 'terror' of getting them in on time !

my sister has them at times of high stress , shes one of the mentally strongest people that i know but a panic attack can turn her into a wreck for hours , she gets medication from the docs but only takes it when she really needs it , one of the family will also sit with her for a while and that helps her a lot too.

ive only ever had one panic attack and it was a thoroughly unpleasant experience , i was in a+e with a cluster headache , all the way there i had been thinking that this is the one thats going to kill me , as the pain got to the point where i would normally black out i started to have a panic attack , looking back it was quite funny (it wasnt at the time though) , a young a+e doctor was looking for a bag to help control my breathing , he was starting to panic as much as me when a tiny little nurse that looked around 70 years old walked in and tore a strip off both of us lol , she said the paper bag thing is rubbish and that im perfectly able to control it myself , she made me (yes made me lol) look at her and breath slowly in through my nose and out through my mouth in time with her , within a couple of minutes the panic attack had stopped and i was calm again , a few minutes after that the drugs kicked in a i was out cold for an hour or so.

panic attacks are pretty frightening things but you can cope with them with a little help and advice .

Edited by mel b3