Cheap Telescopic Tripod Shooting Sticks.

Frenchieboy

I have been meaning to make this short video for a while now and being as it wasn't raining this morning it seemed to be the ideal oportunity. As it was it started raining just after I finished filming the video. I had tried bipod sticks and found them difficult to get on with and the quad sticks, even though they are so stable I found awkward to set up and use. This left me with just on option and that was a set of tripod sticks. I wanted a set that was telescopic so that they would fit in the boot of my car and so that they could be used for sitting, kneeling or standing shots. They also had to allow the rifle to turn round for when lamping and the way that I designed and made these they will rotate through a whole 360 degrees and stay gairly level no matter how rough the ground was. All told these sticks cost me under £10.00 to make and took about half an hour to cut, drill and ascemble. I hope that this video will prove useful to a few of you.

Here's how it is done:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They really are so easy to make and as steady as a rock to use.

I'm sure that Davyo will not mind me saying that he contacted me about getting the rowlocks and as I had a spare one I sent him the spare and he made a set which he tried for the first time yesterday. His PM says that he finds them "Steady as a rock" and he went out yesterday morning and took 12 rabbits using them. The proof of the pudding, so they say!

Just a little point to watch out for though. When I made mine the small bolts that I used for attaching them so that the front two legs swivelled on the rowlock were a little short. I used nylock nuts but there wasn't quite enough thread for the nylon insert to grip properly on the bolt thread and one came a little loose. Make sure that the bolts are long enough for the nylock nuts to grip properly or use an extra locking nut.. Other than that I can say that I do not go out with my .243 without my set of tripod sticks!

Here is the finished product,thanks frenchieboy for the parts you sent me,Cost £3 each for the poles, extendable to 6' went collapes 3', solid as a rock and the V rotates 360.( other parts free courtesy of frenchieboy).Very light to carry and very quick to get to the desired height.Just like to add that I've viewed and tried many tripod sticks & most at stupid prices that don't come close to these.

The rabbits baring 3 where all shot in standing position on uneven ground.

Edited by Davyo

That's a great job you have done there Dave. I'm gald to have helped out a little and for the fact that you get on well with them mate! :good:

I handled a set of quad sticks that someone had bought from Cheshire Gun Rooms while they were on sale price (They still cost well over double what it cost to make these up) and they were no where near as solid as these telescopic tripod sticks.

• 2 months later...

Here is the finished product,thanks frenchieboy for the parts you sent me,Cost £3 each for the poles, extendable to 6' went collapes 3', solid as a rock and the V rotates 360.( other parts free courtesy of frenchieboy).Very light to carry and very quick to get to the desired height.Just like to add that I've viewed and tried many tripod sticks & most at stupid prices that don't come close to these.

The rabbits baring 3 where all shot in standing position on uneven ground.

Where did you get these poles from as needed for my tripod project.

Bought from wilkinsons £3 each they are telescopic twist & lock ,you need to cut em down a bit.I use them all the time very solid & the yolk turns 360.Can be used sitting down or standing .I have to advise that its frenchiboys design and with his help & generosity i was able to make them.They are now vital part of my stalking kit.The poles to be honest you get enywhere but cost from £3 / £5 you wana be paying no more than £4.my build in total cost about £10 as frenchi donated the v bit & bracket.You should be able to make a set for under £15.

Edited by Davyo

Wheres the cheapest place for the rowlocks.

If you go on to fleabay and do a search for "Rowlocks" you will find plenty for sale. I would advise buying the nylon ones as opposed to the galvanised ones due to the weight being lighter with the nylon. Many sellers on there only sell them in pairs which is why I had a spare to give to Davyo to make his with.

• 3 weeks later...