Not a clean kill

enzonapoli1990

The shotgun is an amazing tool for wounding animals. There are very few shooters who can put everything they shoot in the centre of their pattern every time and kill the target stone dead in the air.

That said, there is nothing wrong with plenty of practice on the clays and using the correct load and choke for the job in hand.

Seems a high ratio to me , perhaps you just need to shoot straighter or estimate range better , what choke are you using ? perhaps worth going tighter on choke , that of course will not help if you are not shooting straight but may give more clean misses or clean kills.

I do have a slight problem with range if a bird is coming over head its a dead bird but when they are coming right to left or left to right at 30 yards the bird will often get to see another day. As for chokes i use 1/4 1/2

your answer is in your post you are missing them :good:30 grams 6 shot will kill pigeons all day long

IMO the chokes you are using are OK, as are the cartridges.

It could be you are taking shots that are on the edge of effective range, why not pace out some distances and familiarise yourself with them.

If shooting over decoys its easy to place a stick at a chosen distance and try to take all birds inside that marker.

if u horseshoe your deeks try putting a crow deek with em at about 35yds paced out .that gives u a clear marker and shoot at em under this range it helped me no end having a" rangefinder"to stop over ambitious shots .also if u still have the problem bring em in 5yards .atb clakk

giving it more lead wont help if your shooting in front or over the top. choke wont help if the gun is not in the right place and cartridges being changed is highly unlikely to help. A bird over head is a dead bird means you can shoot when you just pull through the bird and do it rather than see the lead- so see a coach !in the meantime only take the shots you know you will get and forget the rest. If you always do what you did and it didn't work then you will always get what you always got! 1-3 aint too bad for wildfowling from your knees on a slimey, muddy gutter bank on your knees in the half light but I haven't got a clue about from a comfortable hide in broad daylight so my comments are general

Guest cookoff013

any number of reasons,

range estimation.

choke choice.... etc.

but in all honesty, it seems like you are hitting them but not enough. you can either tighten chokes, this should have almost no impact to your setup. or just shoot stuff closer.

maybe bring the decoy pattern closer. not only closer shots to incomers, should be better on those birds leaving pattern too.

The 30g in 6 is perfect for the pigeons so do not change it.. Just tray no to shoo further then 35 meters and do not stop moving the shotgun...

A clay pigeon is slower the a wood pigeon en softer so you can not compare then to each other.

Good luck with the shooting tomorrow and keep us posted..